Romans COD piece

What's the rear spring rate at the moment? I wouldn't add a rear bar unless you want it to spin our even harder than it already does. Give softer springs a try for starters and see what happens... Although decent tyres might make all the difference :) .

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cant remember spring rates, but pretty beefy coils and think it was 6-7kgmm or something like that.

Was definitely "Sheesh thats too stiff" when I worked it out anyway.

One thing I didnt think of during the day...

Brake bias would have been better if I didnt downshift during braking, just keep it in a higher gear to minimise engine braking.

Rear tires are pretty well bald and melty looking now.

Although they're not the pinnacle of performance, have got some fresh 195/50/15 direzzas that can chuck on as replacements until I've got some $$ for something better.

I guess it's nice to be sorting out the issues that cause lockups while you're not on expensive rubber, would be gutted to flatspot the hell out of some R888s or something.

Tell me about your radiator? Is it a 3 core / 56mm core honda type? I'm thinking of going in a similar direction soon but your car getting warm after a few laps has me worried. Possibly a bit more flow by not running a thermostat would make the difference.

It's this:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-par ... 781711.htm

Twin core... Definitely wouldnt be grunty enough for your car.

Ideally I'd go for something a *little* wider while still having room for my intake to poke out the front still.

With regards to your problem, why dont you just try fit a thermostat?

Surely 3SGTEs produce a crapload more heat to get rid of, and have no problems with a thermostat fitted.

Seems like easiest way to fix the overcooling issue.

If you want to go to a smaller radiator to save weight etc and maybe intake reasons, definitely go something bigger than what I have. Not sure what else would be a slightly larger size, I just went on a mish to pickapart and found that a suzuki swift radiator was like the Honda ones but better inlet/outlet positions, so bought a twin core one.

I might get a slightly bigger one custom made at some stage.

Possibly a bit more expensive than something off the shelf, but it's nice to be able to just take what I've got to a shop and say "Hi, make a bigger one of these please, kthxbai"

Annoying how the dont have a radiator cap or allowance for an overflow bottle. If not for my intake id jam a full width radiator in there and be done with it.

Best way for a race car is always to duct it up through the bonnet.however would prefer a less efficient option that allows me to keep the outside looking unmolested for this car.

My radiator is too tall and wide and I'd like to save weight too. I think I'll go for a 3 core version of what you've got and will make some nice ducting to make sure it gets good flow. My bonnet touches the filler cap on the current radiator and I've been planning to re-make my slam panel for a while now, so may as well get stuck into it before going back to the dyno.

Yeah the nice thing about one that's made for a particular car, is that you can just go and pinch the shroud and fan from a factory car, bolt it up job done.

Rather than a bit of mucking around otherwise.

Sounds like a good plan! AE86 might have a lower nose than what my super squarebox does? I guess you cold mount it further back as well, or on an angle etc since the motor's so far back 8)

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Guest snapper

Keep at it man, you'll find plenty of encouragement here. Looks like you've most of the hard work, now you're just down to sorting out the puzzle pieces for the win.

hows the video editing coming along, BTW?

Guest Roman

Yeah it's nearly there - just sometimes frustrating to think that I've missed on a lot of years worth of hooning around the track or whatever because I decided to build a car instead of just buying something.

I remember there was this sweet TA63 carina coupe, rally ready that sat on trademe for ages and sold for like $2400.

Pretty sweet deal for who ever got it! (Apart from finding parts when you crash it)

The video's coming along pretty well, I'm mostly just waiting for some of the South island guys to send some footage up 8)

Recorded some pretty good stuff so far, but would be good to get some other people's points of view too.

If there's any doubt that you can have fun in a piston powered 1300cc road car on the track, $tephens in car 808 footage sure dispels that! :D