Romans COD piece

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I'd like to see it going this decade/century, but I make no promises and I'm not holding my breath. :lol:

sounds like one of my projects hahaha. change of codes for me hopefully means ill have a bit more luck this time round though

Cheers guys.

Personally I would have rather had a KP starlet, but the carina was the next best thing. I chose the Carina because its STUPIDLY easy to put all of this shit into, and a big mission into the starlet. :x

Everything has pretty much just dropped in place so far!

Followed this on toyspeed (probably the only car I check that site for these days) looks mint gotta love the ease at which this projects gone forward its mint. Always wanted to beams something old and rwd ever since I saw one in a tezza engine bay

Holly mother fucking BEAMS. Awesome man. Stoked to see this sorta stuff going on. I love Carinas and they seem to be getting pretty rare/all rusting to shit :lol:

lol! cheers. Yeah its hard to find good Carinas! I had to go to new plymouth to find mine! But it had been rust proofed all inside the gaurds etc, so is in really good condition. My spare parts car that I got was rusty as shite. :( Well I knew it was when I got it, but I was shocked at the difference between the two! Made me feel lucky to get one that was in such good condition to start with. (still a little rust to contend with though)

Its fucken funny though, because you NEVER see old carinas on the road in auckland, only newer FWD ones. I've only seen an old carina on the road ONCE! So it's LOL when I tell people I'm doing up a carina, they look at me funny and wonder WTF I'm thinking. I keep telling them though, have some faith! I'm not crazy. :P

damn thats probably the latest model engine on here! beams is 3sge isnt it?

It's actually a 'redtop' beams 3SGE engine, which came from a 1998 SW20 MR2. I bought it blown, and got it rebuilt at Lynn Rogers Automotive.

Fairly standard though, .5mm oversized pistons, port & polished head, balanced bottom end, and a few other things. It probably wont make any more power than a standard one, but it's a good solid base for further modifications, and should be a bit of fun hopefully.

I was originally intending to put it in my MR2, but then I got another beams engine which had 30,000kms on it, so I put that in the MR2 instead.

I've had this engine sitting on an engine stand in the garage for the last two years or so, and every now and then I'd scratch my head and wonder what to do with it. So I thought it would be fun to get an old RWD toyota to put it in! The Carina was the perfect candidate, because A: I like the look of them and B: They're so fucking easy to fit everything into!

Thankfully the 'FWD' beams engines can use altezza parts, so I bought an altezza sump, intake manifold and exhaust, and I was away laughing.

I swapped out the red engine cover for a grey Caldina one, because I dont think that the red suits being in an older car, and especially when it doesnt have the red intake manifold to go with it.

Here's a picture of what the engine looked like before I pulled off all of the bling red bits, and converted it to RWD:

redtopmockup1erdc7.jpg

Followed this on toyspeed (probably the only car I check that site for these days) looks mint gotta love the ease at which this projects gone forward its mint. Always wanted to beams something old and rwd ever since I saw one in a tezza engine bay

Aaah cheers, yep its been awesome so far! Everything's gone way too easily. :D Yeah I like the idea of keeping everything looking time period, but having more modern technology in terms of the engine etc. It should hopefully be a bit of fun when it's done. It's gotta be better than the 3AU and 4 speed anyway. :P

:lol: Good stuff. That engine looks like it was meant for a SW20! Deffinately a good idea putting the tezza rocker cover (cover?) on it.

Nice extractors. Will those fit in RWD application or does the mount get in the way? Perhaps I might just heat wrap mine instead of trying to bling them up out of stainless.

:lol: Good stuff. That engine looks like it was meant for a SW20! Deffinately a good idea putting the tezza rocker cover (cover?) on it.

Nice extractors. Will those fit in RWD application or does the mount get in the way? Perhaps I might just heat wrap mine instead of trying to bling them up out of stainless.

Nah those are some TOMS extractors, they're currently on my SW20. They definitely wont fit on the Carina. Not to worry though, an altezza exhaust fits almost perfectly.

exhaust1wm5.jpg

exhaust3pv1.jpg

Basically I swapped over all of the goodies from that engine onto my other beams one, which is in the MR2. and then the one that I'm making RWD is a hodge podge of parts from various cars. :P

how much does one of those beams motors go for?

I bought my first one for $1500 when it was blown, but it included the stronger gen 5 SW20 gearbox with cusco LSD in it, TOMS extractors, HKS intake pipe, MR2 wiring loom, etc etc. Spent way too much rebuilding it though, lol.

I got my second beams engine (the one that's in the MR2 at the mo) for $1200, which was one from an ST202 celica. A mate was putting it into a tube framed KP starlet drag car, and was going to turbo it. I convinced him that it was a waste of time, and so he got a 3SGTE and sold me his old engine. :P

Good deals can be had if you've got your eyes and ears open, and are in the right time at the right place! I got offered another beams motor, an altezza one with 60,000kms for $1200, but I had to turn it down because I've already got too many damned motors! lol.

can you chuck up a pic of the whole car please

This is the car in its current state, lol.

carwheelsjl2.jpg

It's definitely not as bad as it looks. Half of where the paint has been grinded off isnt because of rust, so much as because I suspected that there might be rust underneath. eg. some shitty bog work that had been done, where it had been dinged in the rear corner. Turns out it was fine though.

Here's what it looked like when I got it: (please note the massive ride height, ghey racing stripes, etc :P)

carina2wq5.jpg

It will look sort of like this once it's done, and rid of the ghastly stripes etc.

(except with the twin square headlights, different wheels, etc)

15448771a2061559850b709pj9.jpg

Awesome stuff man.

Just out of interist are the "Beams" heads made/developed by Yamaha like the earlier ones? (probably have yamaha stamped into head near the exhaust ports)

Cheers,Chris