Romans COD piece

Yep im keen as to try staged injection again, as i can print some trumpets with injector bosses in them.

100% keen on a carbon airbox too, if a small enough pipe works nice to allow a maf it will be on there for sure!

Then i just need one of those bmw ethrottle motors and ill be back in business. :D

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, kpr said:

Placing money on both throttle body size and trumpet length

That’s a broad bet sir. Any guesses on actual sizes?  

I’m gonna say 50mm throttles and 120mm trumpets as a guess for peak power (based on TRD inlet manifold length). 

• Like 2

Without a throttle body in the way will also be interesting to try so different inlet pipe diameters and lengths.

I think i remember glenn saying around 4" dia was best 

So much to do so little time!

Start with the trumpets though :D

Following this with interest...

Some more dyno charts for you

My First Dyno: Blacktop throttles, 75mm trumpets, stock exhaust manifold, sq engineering adapter, good filter socks (didn't collapse)

beams61-dyno.png.83827e7c2487d0a128aad13e5e37cd0c.png

Second Dyno: Blacktop throttles, 75mm trumpets, Custom TRD Copy exhaust manifold, sq engineering adapter, pipercross combined filter.

BEAMS-61-Dyno-2018-03-02.thumb.jpg.a88cec53573e229caffad076fc49ecdf.jpg

Other car dynos i had collected:

adrian3sge.jpg.d82aaf9150d0fab6e19d42cce1a0ff98.jpg20141114_134725_zpsa8ixu8yg.jpg.622e9feb536fd0849a30cbafcd2d5e1b.jpgDyno1_zps5f66482d.jpg.e3fdcd1d09c87b81b5f51556b423961c.jpgBeams3sgeSwap21.jpg.32d12a00edf26f822d8e252be4925dbc.jpg

On the heat soak topic...

I have definitely noticed this, at the moment my car is fairly flat during racing, I've noticed the intake temps have been hitting at least 40c (I suspect the hot air is mainly off the radiators).

There was one exceptionally cool day and it felt like a different car, a lot more punch out of the corners etc.

I've just ducted the radiators through the bonnet which should drop under bonnet temps, will be interesting to see if it makes a difference on temps, and then on performance.

I looked at making an air box, but everything is so bloody tight, I gave up. My current thinking is to put the standard intake back on and chop the runners to fit the ITB's. I haven't measured but the stock manifold runners look just that little bit larger too and also have a curve in them so should end up being longer overall as well.

• Like 1

Thank you! Yours seems to have the 5500rpm curse as well. Haha.

I think we have definitely established a trend here.

Also I must disclaimer that since im using a redtop engine its lower comp, slightly less aggressive cams and no exhaust vvti. 

So its not exact apples for apples but results still applicable if not magnified for a dual vvti engine.

On 08/02/2019 at 08:53, Hyperblade said:

I looked at making an air box, but everything is so bloody tight, I gave up. My current thinking is to put the standard intake back on and chop the runners to fit the ITB's. I haven't measured but the stock manifold runners look just that little bit larger too and also have a curve in them so should end up being longer overall as well.

Just been thinking about this over last few days, even though I have comparatively heaps of space I want to try runners as long as I can so space is still an issue haha. 

Just been thinking, perhaps you could solid mount your airbox to the body of the car, and then just have some rubber gaskets around the trumpets so they can move relative to it?

Thinking I might do something along these lines, probably easiest way to ensure theres enough space around the brake booster etc. 

• Like 1

On 07/02/2019 at 23:10, kpr said:

agree on about 50mm.   maybe a little smaller will work on stock cams.
length im gonna say 380mm  from valve to bellmouth

Current manifold lengths as follows: 

Valves to end of adapter: 205mm
Throttle body height: 74mm
Trumpet length: 83mm

Giving a total current length from valve to bellmouth of 362mm 

Which is surprising! A lot longer than I expected. 

The standard intake manifold is approx 40-50mm longer than this (with a bend) 

Can easily go another ~70mm longer if I put about a 30 deg bend in the runners to avoid the bonnet. So will give this a hoon.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Roman said:

Just been thinking about this over last few days, even though I have comparatively heaps of space I want to try runners as long as I can so space is still an issue haha. 

Just been thinking, perhaps you could solid mount your airbox to the body of the car, and then just have some rubber gaskets around the trumpets so they can move relative to it?

Thinking I might do something along these lines, probably easiest way to ensure theres enough space around the brake booster etc. 

Yep that's similar to my line of thinking too, although I was going to mount to trumpets (as a backing plate, that was actually where i got held up as I couldn't find a nice mounting point) then have rubber gaskets to firewall/bonnet. Your way might work better.

However MC, Clutch reservoir and brake lines make it really awkward.

IMG_20180825_144010361_HDR.jpg

10 hours ago, Roman said:

Current manifold lengths as follows: 

Valves to end of adapter: 205mm
Throttle body height: 74mm
Trumpet length: 83mm

Giving a total current length from valve to bellmouth of 362mm 

Which is surprising! A lot longer than I expected. 

The standard intake manifold is approx 40-50mm longer than this (with a bend) 

Can easily go another ~70mm longer if I put about a 30 deg bend in the runners to avoid the bonnet. So will give this a hoon.

Hmm yes you're right. I was still thinking 4age with a few more revs to spend before rods exit block.  

The ports must be pretty long huh.

• Confused 1

Yeah partly because this adaptor retains the first part of the intake manifold. 

So its ports > ali manifold > adapter > throttles > trumpet 

Which isnt a bad thing as that first part of the manifold handles the transition from circular shape to the port shape and does a nice job of it by the looks.

Nice pics, is this a return to regular updates with pretty colours and such?

Looking at your CFD I can't help think a model of an open ended tube/half bellmouth etc to compare the pressure drop results? In the  design work I do, we often look for trends in iterations to make design decisions, confirmation bias is a bitch!

For the bend, as you're 3d printing, is it worth throwing an oval cross section in the mix?

On 14/02/2019 at 18:50, Celica RA45 said:

this is my air box with 150mm dia intake and my curved ram tubes that are in my air box ..i also meant too show you my new dyno run here

Thats some sweet power, love the airbox setup! 

Do you know how long your total intake length is, down to the valves? 

Also interesting that with an engine with totally different (everything) it still comes on power at around ~5300rpm.

On 14/02/2019 at 20:47, NickJ said:

Nice pics, is this a return to regular updates with pretty colours and such?

Looking at your CFD I can't help think a model of an open ended tube/half bellmouth etc to compare the pressure drop results? In the  design work I do, we often look for trends in iterations to make design decisions, confirmation bias is a bitch!

For the bend, as you're 3d printing, is it worth throwing an oval cross section in the mix?

I've modelled some different bell shapes before, and compared to ideal they all get Vena Contracta a whole bunch more and reduced flow. 
But the flow rate at which it happens to a large degree needs to be very high. 
They way I figure it, if a cylinder is 500cc then an intake runner just needs to provide 500cc of air before the valves shut, then it has the whole rest of the cycle to "recharge" 
So a poor shape is probably less of an impact than if it was steady state flow like on front of a turbine or something. 
To be honest I have no idea if this will be any better or worse but that's the fun :)
Thankfully in this case the numbers for fuel to reach AFR doesnt leave much to interpretation so its easy to compare. Especially if peaks and troughs move around. 
The idea is to have enough combos ready to try out that I can put together quickly for a dyno session to do some comparisons.