Romans COD piece

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

What thermal imaging toy did you go with, out of curiosity?

A FLIR E4 with some amendments

Diff temp pre/post trackday dorts will be interesting with your flash davescience camera

Yeah! I think Diff temps probably arent actually tooooooo much of an issue with a live axle, as you've got this huge surface area of the diff housing to dissipate heat and lots of oil.

I notice on the IRS diff heads though they always have cooling fins on them. But yes it will be interesting to measure as much stuff as I can while its hot, you dont know what's going to be interesting until you take a look!

Going to R888s this time I'm a little concerned about possible oil surge issues but also my brakes are going to get a hammering.

I reckon it would be easy to make a passive cooling system for a diff head where you use the crown wheel to flick oil into a gravity feed cooler that feeds back in at the bottom. Keep it simple etc. But if not needed you can keep it even simpler by not having one haha.

• Like 2

dave has the diff housing got baffles inside it 1 ,if it has that .we weld exhaust tube onto the center part of the clip in baffles ,and with diff center worked out we cut the exhaust tubes to suit about 3mm away from the diff side,where the axles slide in  ..that will stop the oil moving up and down the axle housing and keep it in the center to lubricate the crown wheel and pinion 

Yeah its got the baffles in there. 

Do you seal up the sides of the baffles too? 

Seems like oil can somewhat slosh around the sides.

But I guess it needs a way to get back to the centre so you can get too carried away with blocking it all up! 

There's nothing that fast over here Glen... Well, aside from Turn 1 at Pukekohe. 

The last corner at Hampton Downs is a long radius, but not super fast, although diff (and sump) baffles would still be beneficial there! 

Love the thermal imaging Dave. I'm seriously considering getting a CAT phone with built in FLIR for my next phone... 

• 2 weeks later...

Good day fine sir, I may have missed something but have you really considered the oil thermostat option it's 2 extra hoses. My Mazda has one from a Mitsubishi and it seems like it would cure your concerns related to excessive cooling? The other drama you might have without the thermostat is a ballaching wait for engine oil temp to come up.

Say you have 1 extra oil capacity does it need more than a 1 lap warm-up to get the oil to operating temp?

Also is under bonnet thermal mass a concern?

What oil and water temps are you seeing at the moment during a track session? I'm curious to see what they look like over a series of 100% laps. On my car I have huge issues with getting the heat out of the oil even with a decent Setrab cooler, but my China radiator easily keeps water temps in check. I don't run an oil thermostat and rely on warming the engine up before heading to the dummy grid to get some initial heat in the oil. Not ok on a car that still gets driven on the road but it seems to work for me.

Have you done any calculations on how much thermal mass you want to shift out of the oil via the cooler? Do you need a big mother of a fan or will something small suffice?

I've got water temp logs but that's all right now as I dont have any oil temp monitoring currently. 

I've got the oil pressure gauge in the dash but nothing logging to ECU.

I'm running a remote oil filter currently for clearance reasons so first thing I am going to do is just install oil temp sensors on the feed/return lines to the filter. (Which you'd expect to report back roughly the same reading when there's only a filter there) and then see what it shows so I've got some before/after comparison.

Water temps were creeping up to 103-104 degrees when they are usually 91-93.
Interestingly I've never had it run hot at Hampton so could be the thinner air at Taupo reducing radiator efficiency.
Will see how it goes at Hampton this weekend.

Rather than calculating the mass of heat I expect it to pull, (where I dont believe you can really account for all the variables) I will just observe it (via temp sensor datalogging and thermal camera) then from there I can setup a table in the ECU for controlling the fan that perhaps relates to cooler inlet temp and RPM.

Maybe similar to below but oil temp instead of ECT. Will see what sort of data I get from temp probes first.

5mrvlumt.qqw.jpg

I'm not expecting any issues with oil being too cool, because I'll still have the factory heat exchanger plumbed in that heats the oil to coolant temp if it's colder.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankfully engine has oil squirters under the pistons which likely helped keep them cool a bit when running lean.

But yes not a good scenario, definite potential for damage to pistons etc. 

If it was a turbo motor it likely would have toasted itself in the process.

This makes me definitely want to hook up a fuel pressure sensor though, I would have noticed this issue starting to creep in weeks ago and would have been able to proactively replaced the filter and pump.

It's no good when my only tool with which I can diagnose a fuel issue, gets damaged by fuel issues!