Romans COD piece

Thanks, 

Yes it uses "Injector effective pulsewidth" combined with RPM,  some known variables about the injectors from my bench testing, and then the vehicle speed.

If I use the "modelled fuel" setup instead of "traditional" inside the link, then it gives you a fuel economy figure natively in the ECU.

I'll probably give it ago on modelled fuel at some stage.

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Note sure. I really need to get to the dyno and do some runs with and without the staged injection to see what difference it makes.

My guesstimate is that the motor revs a bit more freely past 7000rpm but it's hard to say for sure.

If I go to the dyno and it doesnt help I'll just go back to previous.

This thing sounds awesome! Good work on science. you win the internet for tonight for me. 

Maybe a tyre to give a go next time is the Archilles semi slick 'S' compound - make sure you get the soft ones or you'll be hellishly dissapointed. I've been rolling them on my daily falcon over the summer and got 10000kms out of them (were second hand to start with too) with heaps of grip for a road tyre. No where near as grippy as an R888/proper semi slick but more than adequate as a road/trackday tyre. Much better than goodyear F1 and T1r alternatives I've also tried on the falcon and got about the same amount of kms out of a set. Good thing is they are good value at around $180/tyre.

• Like 1

try starting it say from 50% at 3000 onwards up to redline and blend them together having the out boards at 95% and the inboards at 5%at wot 

then tune it properly on single stage 1st to see what it makes then do the 2 stage to gether .also add more ign timming in 

i picked up 15kws from 3500 rpm to my redline and also more torque right across ,then what i had with single stage 

we also boosted fuel pressure up to 75lbs right across the rev range and on idle 

With my current setup, when the deadtimes were hugely wrong at least.

when I tried adding fuel to the outer injectors below 5000rpm it just wasnt liking it at all.

I also was running ~80psi for a while but my fuel pump creaked and moaned about it.

So I've dropped to 60psi, vaccum referenced so under low load it drops to 50psi or whatever to give the fuel pump a bit of a break haha.

I'll maybe have another go at adding the fuel earlier in the revs once I get another wideband sorted out. Stupid Innovate junk has just chewed through its 3rd sensor.

I'm thinking dropping to a lower CC for the outer injectors, and with a multi nozzle head instead of single pintle might be beneficial.

I'm keen to switch over to the "modelled" fuel equation which means it the fuel needs a retune from scratch pretty much.
But it gives me some extra information which will be useful for tuning, it allows the ECU to output "fuel economy" both instantaneous and "trip" as a value.

Rather than me having to work out the maths for it.
Once I've done that I'll experiment some more with different AFRs for best economy, and also VVTI settings for best economy.

On a recent trip I got 6.7l per 100km which I thought was pretty awesome.

According to documentation if you have the VVTI advancing "about half way" at medium load it works like an internal EGR pump by letting exhaust gas back in, which reduces pumping losses and improves economy. But it'll be a lot easier to figure these things out when I've got a graph directly in the ECU showing economy.

• Like 1

Haha yep thats the one.

Hilarious looking, but need to keep in mind that with a shitbox civic and about $2k spend he's acheived better milage than any car manufactured including hybrids etc.

To put that in context it would cost him about $30 to drive from Auckland to Wellington.

I dont even think it's a particularly good engine for it either. Amazing.

Yuck, but amazing.

Yea its awesome. Imagine how sweet it would go with some super modern efficient 4 banger tuned for mega lean burn (maybe something direct injection, tune the exhaust and intake around your cruise speed?, Im sure there's many more ticks to apply). Costs would outweigh the savings, but as a project it would be fun, could start with something maybe a little more slippery? although that era civic probably wins for the blend of weighing nothing and some modernish slick shape.

Could probably run some thin as fuck gearbox oil, special tyres etc? I know some guys with drag cars that use lower friction bearings with no grease packing, can push them around like a skateboard on a flat surface.

Yeah something like a DC2 would probably be a better shape to start with, and still reasonably light etc. 

Variable valve timing engines can alter cam timing to make it work like internal EGR, intentionally sucking some of the exhaust gas back into the cylinder before combustion.

I think it improves economy by reducing pumping losses? 

But that's why most modern engines dont have EGR pumps etc anymore, thank christ.

• Like 1