• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Roman

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Some trackday pics came through...

Okay I think this is some pretty good evidence that "Firmer front springs" needs to be put on the to-do list haha.

sxzcdtmo.3nu.jpg

Okay so further to this! 

I asked around to see if anyone had a few different sets of coilover springs I could test with, I figured my front spring rate would currently be somewhere around 5.5-6kgmm.

Nick from North Shore Toyota came through with a set of 7kg and 8kg springs. Sweet! 

So I pull the old springs out, keeping in mind that I found these under the neighbours house and had no idea on spring rate...

Found a stamp that said 200lb (~3.5kg) haha! Jesus I am surprised the car has handled well at all running that spring rate, it's the same as what's in the back currently. 

So doubling the spring rate in the front might do some weird things for handling, but on the plus side it's given me some extra ride height and the stiffer rate will stop my sump from making sweet love to the asphalt. 

Keeping in mind that I'll be running R888s at next event and will need a bit more roll resistance it might be a good plan to stiffen up the rear a little too.

I cant do this easily via main spring rate because I had to get custom made springs (at 3.5kgmm)

however I've got a swaybar I can easily add. I wont add this for now, but the first round of superlap runs on both Saturday and Sunday. So I will have some 6kg springs on hand and the swaybar ready to fit up, if it's feeling too stiff in the front or too soft in the rear I'll have these ready to go for Sunday's event.

• Like 6

This is what screwed me at superlap! 

Filter bag on the fuel pump looking like a tea bag haha, damnit.

ls4skeik.n4z.jpg

Big thanks for Stu to get me a new fuel pump in time for drags, and Dave Sentra for helping me fit the new pump. 

Cant wait for the weekend! 
  • Like 4

A HUGELY FUN but disappointing OS drag day event for Team Beams  :(

Markku was out of action early in the day with suspected piston ring problems on number 2. 

My car was just still down on power as per last wekeend at Hampton.

I was coming up 6mph short across the line, and 0.7 seconds slower even though my launches were a lot better on new tyres. 

During the day I did a few runs to get some data for virtual dyno.

In 3rd gear I did a run with 3deg timing pulled, normal timing, and then 3 deg advanced. 
None of which appears to be particularly consequential seeing how I'm so far down on power compared to normal.

uplq4pq2.nf1.jpg

At the drag day I had somewhat resigned to the fact that maybe it's just getting tired or has lost compression on one cylinder, or something like that.
However everything I've tested so far, including compression test (Thanks Cam) has come up fine.

My current suspicion is that I have issues with the fuel pressure regulator.

To test this I have replaced the gauge on the FPR with a sensor. I've got it all wired in and tested, but wont drive the car again until I've got a new wideband and some fresh spark plugs. 

Hopefully there's juts something simple wrong that I've overlooked  8)

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I was planning to do the next round of superlap with just a temperature probe fitted to the existing setup to get a baseline of what the oil temps get to. 

Buuuutttt smashing the windscreen brough plans forward a bit! As I had to pull most of the dash out anyway so it makes sense to get wiring changes etc done sooner than later.

I have finished building a shroud for the oil cooler fan and the brackets to hold it in place. 

Unfortunately the cooler is too damn big to fit anywhere except for ahead of the radiator panel, but I've placed it behind the bumper / numberplate and quite far forward so it shouldnt get too much airflow through the core without the fan going.

eesftvag.3cg.jpg

Also I chose black AN fittings where possible and put some fibreglass heat sleeving stuff over them. Mainly because it looks a bit nicer I reckon.

2heoee4l.mxn.jpg

Nearly finished the physical install of it, then just the wiring to sort out. 

Dad has provided me with a PWM fan controller, it's really easy to setup so that should be cool to have a play with! 

Markku has loaned me another speedo drive to test with, hopefully this makes everything work nice again and cruise control will be back up in running in time for the next Superlap round at Taupo.

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Okay so who wants to try explain this one for me? 

Orange line is engine temp.
Red line is oil temp before the oil cooler. 
Blue line is oil temp after the cooler. 

rxingvej.p3w.jpg

At a certain point of track day run, my oil cooler appears to be heating the oil hahaha. 
I am wondering if exhaust heat is influencing the reading of the "After cooler" sensor, as it's line of sight to exhaust manifold.
The "before" sensor isnt line of sight to exhaust as it's on far side of oil cooler adaptor.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

OS drags is coming up rapidly so I thought I'd better swap out this rattly gearbox.
I got it all swapped over easy enough, and then I thought I'd wire in a MAF sensor again at the same time, as well as an exhaust pressure sensor.
And then things escalated and now all of the car's interior is back out hahaha.

But MAF/exhaust pressure sensors will give some interesting insights into tuning VVTI angle at part throttle for best economy.
When using the MAP sensor as the load axis for the tune, advancing the cam gives strange results.
When you advance the cam enough that you start getting overlap, since the manifold is low pressure and the exhaust is higher pressure, you get some of the exhaust gas coming back through into the intake manifold, before it gets sucked back into the cylinder again as the piston starts to go down.

This means that the measured MAP pressure goes up, (By 60% in one case!) so the engine adds fuel and pulls ignition timing. Which is the opposite of what you want to do when youve got EGR gas in there.
So you need to redo these two things each time you change the cam angle, which isn't really practical. So I'm going to set MAF as load source for these tests instead, as it will stay more constant and wont be measuring the "dead" air from the exhaust which has no oxygen in it anymore.

Since I need a MAF to do some testing, which means I cant use my airbox thingy for the moment I'm gonna experiment with something else as well.
I saw an article where someone had varying results by tuning the length of the intake pipe ahead of throttle body. Presumably by making it a tuned length for reflecting waves back down the pipe. 
So I'm gonna start with the longest pipe I can fit and then slowly cut it down more and more and see if fuel requirements change at all. It's also handy having a long straight pipe for best MAF readings as well, while I am testing this. 

5a024a59a9a84_20171028_1613261.jpg.2a0d2168c697c819d153190079096188.jpg

To be honest I've got no idea whether this is going to be any better or worse, at any length. But it'll be interesting to see if there are any noticable harmonics happening in this first part of the pipe. If not, it just confirms my previous idea that aiming for maximum mass flow is better than having a tuned length. (as per airbox thingy)

Either way, one or the other is gonna get thrown in the bin and I'm all about that! 

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...