sheepers 1976 RA28 celica

sheepers

new radiator, for those of you who live in auckland and want a top notch radiator build go and see Dave at real deal radiators in henderson.

2011-08-02203130.jpg

2011-08-02203052.jpg

and in other news,

IT RUNS!!!!

not very well obviously because its had no tune at all but it runs and i can hold it happily at about 600RPM without it doing anything unusual.

so i guess now all i have to do is push the "auto tune" button and it will all be sweet.

sheepers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, so the computer is all finished and seems to be working.

its going on the dyno on Tuesday for a final tune but it feels pretty good now.

before the upcoming track day i have to fit the new front brake rotors, get the front camber set up and do an oil change.

but,

i have made my side exit exhausts!

2011-08-13151718.jpg

then i tested them to see how they sound,

2011-08-13151831.jpg

the answer to the question "how do they sound" is "fucking rubbish"

so it will be stock exhaust for the track day.

sheepers.

• Haha 1

dyno today was all good. the thing runs like a dream!!

does everything better than factory and pulls like fuck all the time!

2011-08-16201827.jpg

2011-08-16111035.jpg

new front rotors are fitted and my brakes are working well and the oil change is done.

tomorrow its getting the wheel alignment sorted and its all ready for fanging around the track on friday.

cant wait!!!

sheepers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i been madeing some stuff. (i fully appreciate that the word "madeing" does not exist. i also understand that if it did it would not have an e in it, however i made it up so ill put whatever letter i bloody well like in it) and it looks a little something like this,

panels for the rear/boot/trunk area back bit.

the bits i did have were buggered and the parts that weren't buggered didn't fit so i made some new bits.

this houses the battery, jack, and tools. it unbolts to allow access to the jack and watnot.

2011-09-16182324.jpg

dis is the tail light cover.

2011-09-16182457.jpg

2011-09-16182425.jpg

i was going to make a new false floor which would have covered the space saver spare wheel (original GTR one that fits over the brakes) and looked very much like stock celica but i decided it would be better just to carpet the floor, make a cover for the tyre, and have the extra space in the back. after all, this is my daily driver and i use it for tasks such as taking my MS51 driveshaft to be modified, picking up the W50 i bought, going away with the wife for the weekend camping, etc. more space is good.

tomorrow im taking the panels to the upholsterer to get them covered with carpet. its heaps quieter now, which is a good thing, and its tidied up the last bit of the interior that looked rubbish.

oh and also i bought this,

2011-09-16182540.jpg

its a piper cross air filter. it feeds cold air in from where the headlight used to be. i can make this legal but im trying to fit a small headlight somehow that wont restrict the air flow to much.

sheepers.

• 2 weeks later...

finished the interior trim.

fucking terrible picture but you might get the idea.

2011-09-25163648.jpg

i covered all the exposed bits with carpet and i also made new carpet bits to go over the front of the wheel arches, the bit that usually has a vinyl cover. im happy as larry with how its all come out and now ive finished it ive learned a little bit about covering weird shapes in carpet, was fun and will trade again.

i would have taken photos but phone is not keen on black/dark photos. my phone is racist.

so, what should i do with the strut towers?? i could carpet them as well or paint them nicely??

what do you reckon?

sheepers.

so i might have to go back to the gay 8" wheels on the front to get the car legal again.

i was toying with the idea of fully blacking the wheels to hide the fact that the front wheels will be gay, dishless, gay, homo offset looking.

cheers Simon for the colour chop.

what do you think??

unfdhyled1.jpg

untdfgitled1.jpg

sheepers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

picture-less update is picture-less.

the car passed re-cert for the new front wheels, seats and computer so its all legal and insured again.

still having trouble finding a solution for the fuel gauge issue (VE comminwhore sender does not compute with old school gauge) and the small tank (40 liters) is a bit of a pain in the arse, especially with the tour de south island coming up in three weeks.

so, maybe ill do something really stupid and try to make a drop tank to take the old fuel level sender and the new pump along with 80 liters of fuel????

don't know if ill tackle this on this short notice or not....

• 2 weeks later...

and then there were two.

2011-11-14070425.jpg

2011-11-14070451.jpg

on opportunity came up that i couldn't pass by. so now i have a 112 and a 122.

the 122 is going in the celica and ill probably sell the 112.

it looks to be in top condition and its actually smaller than the 112.

i still have a long way to go with the manifold so don't expect anything this side of Christmas.

sheepers.

• 2 months later...

still plugging away with the supercharger manifold but i have made some progress in that i have a good chance of getting enough machine time at work to actually make it.

but in other news,

the front brakes were being a pain in the arse. the R32 GTR rotors would warp with no hesitation and i am completely fed up with them and trying to get them to stop warping after a decent heat cycle. apparently its a common problem with the R32 GTR stuff, some are worse than others and it seems to be a bit of a lottery with the rotors.

so,

brake upgrade time.

2012-02-08201331.jpg

on the right is an R32 GTR rotor, on the left is the new rotor, 330 x 30 with the biggest annulus area i can get. why the necessity for such a deep disk?

because the brembo calipers I'm using take a very deep 55mm wide pad.

2012-02-08202614.jpg

the calipers are out of an E38 7 series bmw (apparently) and have ceramic pistons.

the whole lot weighs the same as the old setup but has a 25% increase in swept area.

i have to make brackets to mount the caliper but thats no biggie. should be finished by this time next week.

sheepers.

oh, i won this at the 4 & rotor nats.

2012-01-28171959.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

gearbox went by by.

twas a W58 that had shown no signs of having issues. it destroyed second gear whilst doing a fully sick drive normally in a straight line in heavy traffic. no idea why it went bang, i did nothing other than change gear.

so now its time for an R154.

while the motor is out ill tidy up a few things and fix a few things, with a bit of luck i should be able to get the motor back in this coming weekend. 

11880629005_29c35e1df2_o.jpg
Untitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr
11881079494_4b4e225be2_o.jpg
Untitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr11881504686_fb4df022b7_o.jpg
Untitled by sheepers-ra28, on Flickr
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...