sheepers 1976 RA28 celica

sheepers

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

i spent today fucking around with it and i did find that i had the bypass valve plumbed wrong so it wasn't able to bypass air at idle. that did bring the inlet temps down but this thing is still getting hot.

thoughts? what do you think could be causing it to get so hot?

its basically the same motor sitting idling and the temp just creeps up. same radiator, same fan.

its not making any power yet but the temp is still rising.

it heats up really quick

the supercharger gets real hot as does the whole motor

the fan kicks in but it cant keep up, the temp both of the coolant and the intake air just keeps getting hotter and hotter.

im 99% sure i put the head gaskets on the correct sides. the base timing seems to be right.

i dunno?

what do you think? 

ps, dont post in this thread, chuck your ideas in the discussion thread (link in sig) thanks team.

• Like 3

so, ive removed the serpentine belt and run the moor without the supercharger running and it made no difference.

the rate at which it gets hot is quite alarming. the water bridges are hot within a minute. it takes no time at all to get up to 88deg.

Adam went over the fuel map and the ignition map and couldn't find anything that would cause it undue heat.

i will get someone else to check that ive set the base timing correctly but im fairly sure its right.

ill take the radiator to be flow tested then cleaned and re tested tomorrow but i really dont think the radiator is the problem. the motor gets hot way to fast for it to have anything to do with the radiator.

i wonder if i put the headgaskets on backwards or something? do you think that would do it?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

today i took the oil filter off, cut it open and had a look. took it to the engine builder for confirmation and he agreed there was nothing in the oil to worry about.

put a new water pump on the motor which has a sightly bigger impeller which sits into the block a bit deeper and that made no difference.

im starting to lose my patience with this 

• Sad 9

Took radiator to be flow checked and it's fine. 

Looks good inside where you can see,  no corrosion or whatever.

Cut the tanks and made it a triple pass. 

Still temp climbs. Not as fast as before but it's still climbing. 

Tested both thermostats to make sure they open about where they say they will and also to make sure the bypass blocking plate on the back of the thermostat reaches the hole it's supposed to block.

One was better then the other so I put that in. 

It's still getting hot, just does it a bit slower now. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 4

no progress to report really.

ive driven it around the hood with the bonnet off and as long as i can cruse at about 50 with out any traffic it sits at about 87-90.

as soon as i have to stop it climbs, but with a 60km breeze it seems to drop down to about that 87-90 region. 

ive probably traveled about 10 Ks around here so far.

it would Chernobyl if i got caught in traffic though. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 6