Minilites, superlites differant wheels.

Gaz

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not going to where from, but im getting a set for $650, 2 13x7's and 2 13x8's :twisted:

is that just a one off 2nd hand set? or can you get more?

Thats brand new inc wheel nuts, just waiting to sell some Subi parts so i can get them. Il see if i can get more at that price but i doubt it.

• 3 weeks later...

Watanabe spokes tend to be longer, while Minilite/Superlite spokes appear to have a more squat and compact looking design due to a larger centre area around the hub.

I just brought in a staggered set of Watanabe RS8s from Japan, cost a mini fortune for shipping though :(

As to which existed first, I was always under the impression that the Japanese copied the design from the British, and then it eventually spun off into its own sort of niche...

I've had the Minilite RS-Watanabe debate with many people. They came about at around the same time and era, there's no specifics that I can find either way that prove one came before the other. Everyone is quick to jump on the Japan copied Britain bandwagon because of the licencing agreements between Japanese and British companies that went on at the time.

There are countless versions of the 8-spoke.

All Watanabe's are RS-Watanabe's the RS-8s are a combined effort of bother Speedstar and RS-Watanabe, the reason I was told, as referred to earlier was due to financial difficulties at the time, RS-Watanabe (Racing Service Watanabe) has been through a few financial moments which has led to such happenings.

I prefer the design and look of the RS-Wat over the Minilite and Superlite/Superlight, it's just a nicer form.

RS-Watanabe's come in varying type, A, B, R and varying finishes and compounds, including Magnesium. They are however... pricey. Having said that, so are genuine Minilites, 6 of one etc. etc.

im keen for some 13x7 superlites for the tina, anyone know of prices?/anyone selling any?

Mag n Turbo gave me a quote for 13x7 superlites without tyres at $1350 from memory...not cheap

:shock::shock: I may have to set up a group buy in the next couple of months!

im keen for some 13x7 superlites for the tina, anyone know of prices?/anyone selling any?

Mag n Turbo gave me a quote for 13x7 superlites without tyres at $1350 from memory...not cheap

:shock::shock: I may have to set up a group buy in the next couple of months!

seriously keen man.

Thought idd put in my two cents on this

Im talking minis now, not sure on others-

From what I know the british ones are:

Minilite - As said earlier they are 60's and 70's wheels, made with Mg in them so really light but... Mg doesnt age very well so most are fragile by now and dangerous.

Superlite - Arnt they made in Aus? These are refered to as Performance Superlites (What methodz put up earlier)

superlitemd9.jpg

Minilight - These are reproduced by Midland Wheels in the UK, have a look over their website (link at the bottom). They make some nice wheels with lots of colours avaliable.

minilightxf6.jpg

Superlight - These are made by Midland Wheels too and are another version of the good old minilite.

superlightlv6.jpg

This is their fake split rim:

superlight2jo5.jpg

ROH Contessa - These are another wheel that is quite common in NZ.

wheelrohcontessavs4.jpg

As you can see there is just a little spelling difference. Can get confusing.

Anyway - Check out this website - http://www.midlandwheels.com/frameset.asp

As to which existed first, I was always under the impression that the Japanese copied the design from the British, and then it eventually spun off into its own sort of niche...

I've got a set of what I think are just about the original minilites. They're 6x13's and the spider is ally, but the rim is steel. The welding is rough as arses, but they've held together for 40 years or so, so must be stronger than it looks. Weigh a ton, too. Way predates anything Jap I reckon. I go for minilites being the original.

[sob]When I think of the Gp.4 mag minilites I left back in the uk. Stack was taller than me[/sob]

• 2 weeks later...
There are also Konig Rewinds that are recent wheels in the same style

I believe that the Japanese would have copied Superlites? Also, Minilites are Superlites for Minis I believe so come in smaller sizes and offset to suit Fwd.

there's huge debates on whether watanabe's or minilites came out first, not an easy question to answer this many years later. i'd go the watanabe's myself, love the 3 piece wheels.

cheers

Matt

id be rather suprised if the jap ones are first.... after all minilites were around in the mid 60s.....