sigma/l200 gbox clutch flywheel options on vr4

Ke36

• 1 month later...

ok bit of a hurdle

i have a l200 flyhweel(well wat i believe to be, came with my gbox) here and a fwd sigma gsr

sipogot hole for the sigma flywheel is pretty small, only just fits over then input shaft so theres not way if i but a bearing in it it would fit so am i ment to get this machined out further?

obviously the l200 one fits fine with the spigot bearing etc

Starion-D50comparison4.jpg

they look like that but withough that random extra little hole(sample pic i found)

secondly there different widths? the l200 one is 285mm and the sigma gsr one is 265mm

how much clearance do i need/meant to have for starter?

the l200 ring gear just fits in the bellhousing where as the sigma one obviously sits in quite a bit further

now are all rwd 4g63 starters the same?this would mean that i cant use the sigma flywheel at all becuse of both of these problems?i was planning on using my 1200cc starter with watever as others said they have used it

just need to confirm i should use the l200 (and it is an l200 one) as i need to get it machined before i fit my clutch

worst comes to worst i imagine that i can fit a l200 starter and it will work with l200 flywheel

That extra hole will be for the aligning dowel sticking out of the end of the crank. The GSR Sigma flywheel must be a FWD one, as they dont have the larger hole for a spigot bearing, as the FWD mitsy stuff dosent run them. You can have it machined out tho, no probs. MPL Automotive, down the road from my work, can take care of that for ya, i can hook you up with the bearing cheap cheap.

I think the problem your striking is the narrow/wide block thing... I was under the impression that the mitsy commercial stuff (l200's, 300's etc) were wideblock? If you'r using a vr4 block it'll definatly be narrowblock

RWD non-turbo sigma's and FWD stuff will definatly be narrow block, thus the smaller flywheels. The wideblock flywheels wont fit into the narrow blocks, fucking pain in the ass when it comes to sorting a decent clutch.

This is where the difference in starter motors comes in aswell im fairly certain. I think ive used a RWD sigma (narrowblock) starter on a starion (wideblock) once and there were no issues?

If you need any FWD sigma parts come see me, i have a whole 3*2 dash engined one sitting on the back lawn doing nothing at all. Pretty sure it has a reduction gear starter motor in it aswell, which makes a nice touch :).

yea obviously only one works,

gbox is 100% definatley a narrow block 31cm across bottom bolt holes from a l200

and flywheel came with that so dont see why it would be a wideblock flywheel?

has a 215mm clutch on it and can see the wear marks from that size clutch

i was just hoping somone would know the difference in widths between a narrow block flywheel and wideblock flywheel, that way i can get one of them machined and no imy using the right width flywheel

im just worried that the fwd sigma one is actually too narrow :?

if i can use the l200 one i have it seems the obvious choice, it allready has the spigot whole and is it better nick than the sigma one (ring gear etc)

iom also not 100% sure that either flyhweel is whta they "should" be as i bought them from other people

prozac to answer a few of the things you were saying about 4g63s

"most" non turbo rwds are narrow block (some autos are wideblock apparently)

all turbo rwds are wideblock

all fwds are narrow

That extra hole will be for the aligning dowel sticking out of the end of the crank

i just realised that, and neither of my flywheels have those holes (there just 2 pics i found on the net), is on the engine though, is it a dowel pin i can just pull off?

yea obviously only one works,

gbox is 100% definatley a narrow block 31cm across bottom bolt holes from a l200

and flywheel came with that so dont see why it would be a wideblock flywheel?

has a 215mm clutch on it and can see the wear marks from that size clutch

i was just hoping somone would know the difference in widths between a narrow block flywheel and wideblock flywheel, that way i can get one of them machined and no imy using the right width flywheel

im just worried that the fwd sigma one is actually too narrow :?

if i can use the l200 one i have it seems the obvious choice, it allready has the spigot whole and is it better nick than the sigma one (ring gear etc)

iom also not 100% sure that either flyhweel is whta they "should" be as i bought them from other people

prozac to answer a few of the things you were saying about 4g63s

"most" non turbo rwds are narrow block (some autos are wideblock apparently)

all turbo rwds are wideblock

all fwds are narrow

That extra hole will be for the aligning dowel sticking out of the end of the crank

i just realised that, and neither of my flywheels have those holes (there just 2 pics i found on the net), is on the engine though, is it a dowel pin i can just pull off?

dunno if it makes a difference but its sposed to be the two top holes u measure between

nah bottom is easier to use

13.25" lower bolts (Wideblock) and 12.25" lower bolts (Narrowblock).

the top are like 130mm and 150mm but gboxes a have both of these top bolts on one side for some reason :?

so u cant tell if its a wideblock or narrow block gbox from the top holes only the bottom 8)

engine is either way

ok sum1 measured a starion wideblock flywheel for me and it was 308mm by his measurement that would mean my l200 285mm flywheel would be the narrow block one and the correct one to use?

and the 265mm is some other samller one of a 1.8 1.6 engine or something that i dunno

yip cheers mate clutch bolts up fine etc right spline

guys at the clutch shop reckon it could be shit to drive, due to the way exedy make there heavy duty pressure plates

all they do is change the pivot point of the diaphragm or sum shiz

may end with clutch engagement/disengament point right on the floor almost

have to wait and see

• 1 month later...
:( Ummm isn't that pin on the crank to insure you fit the fly wheel (That is factory balanced to suit) in the correct position.... May not amount to frig all but it is worth checking out ... Have a look at the outer edge of the flywheel (Back or front) and there is probably some holes in a row on one part of the flywheel they will only be partially drilled... Just a thought..... :rolleyes:

• 6 years later...

hey does anyone know how id go about putting a 16valve 7bolt dohc 4g63t in my l200 using the standy l200 gearbox? is that possible? i cant seem to find any info thatl tell me if l200 gearbox is 6 or 7 bolt.. its a 1986 l200 sport 2000.... please help guys?