Bike Carbs

mikuni

Mean. Brown Brothers? are a group that does standard kits in the UK. Its pretty funny though. People with daily driven Astras and Golfs etc take them in and pay about 2000 euros to get their fuel injection pulled of and a set of bike carbs put on and thats it. I couldn't believe it but they are all happy with the results.

So thats what got me thinking about them more because for years I thought it would be cool, but to unpractical. They reckon they stay in tune under normal driving conditions for up to a year and you don't loose any drivability. I think carbs seem to have come a long way. Thats why bike carbs are the one.

Actually the really popular thing in the UK is to take a Brown Brothers manifold and fit modern bike throttle bodies, run off a Megasquirt computer. Cheap as hell, compared to a set of Jenvey or similar throttle bodies. Was going to do it to my Pug, but I left the UK before I got that far with it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bikes because they don't have Levins falling of the roads? There must be heaps of dead motorcyclists in the UK. :?

Was yours an Mi or 8 valve? I'm still umming and ahhing with this 8 valve and it's silly tiny, weirdly spaced ports.

Bikes because they don't have Levins falling of the roads? There must be heaps of dead motorcyclists in the UK. :?

Was yours an Mi or 8 valve? I'm still umming and ahhing with this 8 valve and it's silly tiny, weirdly spaced ports.

Actually there's a real big problem with born-again bikers in the UK, old guys that used to ride Triumph Bonnies and Norton Commandos, 30 years later deciding to get into bikes again and buying R1s, Blades and GXR1000s and the like... then throwing it into the weeds a few weeks later cos an R1 is one hell of a lot faster than the bikes they remember riding...

Anyways, yeah loads of bike throttle bodies around for cheap, so it's a popular conversion.

Mine was MI16, went from 1.6 8V to 1.9 8V to MI, the MI completely transformed the car, it was sooooo much fun. My advice, just don't waste your time with the 8Vs, they are so shit by comparison, you'd spend a fortune just to get on an even level with an MI.

That company is called Bogg Brothers. I got confused.

There some massive throttles available on v twin bikes. A guy off here had a TL1000 with huge throttles, around 50mm so perhaps those could be modified if using a large engine.

I think some vehicles have throttles that are far larger than required, just because "bigger is better" apparantly. I'm quite sure that isn't the case, but not have any real hard evidence because I can't be bothered looking into it heaps.

Mine was MI16, went from 1.6 8V to 1.9 8V to MI, the MI completely transformed the car, it was sooooo much fun. My advice, just don't waste your time with the 8Vs, they are so shit by comparison, you'd spend a fortune just to get on an even level with an MI.

My dilemma is, I have two 8 valves, and the one in the car seems good mechanically (touch wood) - blew absolutely no smoke on a dyno run. Something's wrong on the fuel and/or spark side of things though.

An Mi16 would cost over $1000, and I'd probably spend $500 odd freshening it up while it's out of the car. Throttle bodies, ECU, and coil packs should get the 8v boogying for about the same (hopefully a bit less), and I'll still be able to use them if I do end up getting an Mi.

My dilemma is, I have two 8 valves, and the one in the car seems good mechanically (touch wood) - blew absolutely no smoke on a dyno run. Something's wrong on the fuel and/or spark side of things though.

An Mi16 would cost over $1000, and I'd probably spend $500 odd freshening it up while it's out of the car. Throttle bodies, ECU, and coil packs should get the 8v boogying for about the same (hopefully a bit less), and I'll still be able to use them if I do end up getting an Mi.

Problem is although the 1.9 8V is supposed to be 135-140bhp, depending on the year, they rarely make more than 120. My MI was a late alloy block with 3 row ECU, from a Citroen BX 16V (the best to have basically) and that was dyno'd at 170bhp at the fly (calculated obviously, but it should be about that) with just a decent exhaust and manifold, so there's just so much catching up to do with the 8V.

That said, if the engine in it is good, don't throw it away for the sake of it, I replaced mine because I killed it... and they are still fast enough to have fun. Nothing quite like having this to look at when you open the bonnet though, .

7e4dd681.jpg

• 2 weeks later...