Bike Carbs

mikuni

Bike carbs on a later model, twincam engine such as a 4age or 3sge etc. What do you guys think?

I'm in love and have seen a few different ideas, mainly using R1 carbs as they are compact, but still offer 41mm throttle size. Plus they sit on about a 45 degree angle, making them alot easier to fit into the engine bay.

CIMG00131.JPG

mikegtx45.jpg

Post pics of car engines running them if you can find any. I did have a video of a nice sounding b16a running on some but I'm at work so I don't wanna search for it.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

V8_bike_Carbs.jpg

BoggBrosMani_01.jpg

Zetec manifold - Yam R1 carbs

7_port_mini_1_320pix.jpg

Mini head, R1 carbs

Aston_320pix.jpg

Aston Martin inlet manifold with bike carbs

Rover_v8_1_320pix.jpg

Rover V8

I love the idea of bike carbs, tuning them is relatively simple as well, and throttle response is fantastic! Jets and the like can be a little more of a hassle though, and expensive as I have read.

Yeah I've heard that 20v ones are only 38mm anyway and from what I have seen they are more expensive. I saw a set of these on trademe recently for $350.

Plus theres the fact its 4 carbs. Thats gotta be cooler than injection, even if it is nice throttle bodies. Also, you don't have to muck around with return fuel lines and high pressure pumps because these run at 4psi fuel pressure.

Richie, that rover v8 is awesome. Some people are pretty creative. I imagine it would be abit of a bastard to get 8 of the little buggers running right.

Also that Inlet manifold shouldnt be too hard to make, one of them isnt even bolted together by the look of it, just using hose flexi-joints... :lol::rolleyes: Either way wouldnt take too long for a engineer to fabricate one up, could possibly use the original inlet abeit minus the plenium chamber..... :lol:

Cheers,Chris :twisted:

tuning = $

Rejetting = $8 a jet. Need 4. Sometimes need to rejet to or 3 times for a new engine, but it shouldn't break the bank. Tuning may be difficult, but with one of those vacum guages its quite straight forward apparantly. Just make them all run equal at idle and your close enough.

Dude I talked to made a manifold up for some and it was $150. All it is is a cnc cut plate with 4 pipes welded on at the right angle. I think the most expensive part would be the 4 silicone hoses if that shits still as expensive as it was 5 years ago/probably not.

meh, im just picking at it for some reason...

ust highlighting that its not as simple as bolt on as those pics make it look i geuss

manifold would be fucken easy tomake by the looks of it, just saying that there arent that many people on here that would make one themselves, hence keeping cost's down

meh, im just picking at it for some reason...

ust highlighting that its not as simple as bolt on as those pics make it look i geuss

manifold would be fucken easy tomake by the looks of it, just saying that there arent that many people on here that would make one themselves, hence keeping cost's down

It doesn't even cost much to get a manifold made, I was quoted $180 + gst to get a custom one to suit IDF's on a 4K. Not that I'm going that way anyway, but that's cost effective as hell.

hmm 41's wouldnt want them on anything more than a 1600 if you want the potential of the engine. my 4age boddies on my zetec are 43 or 44mm at butterfly if i remember rite and thats a lil on the small size for it.

Your right in that they aren't huge. But I dissagree that they are too small. I think the size of the throttle body itself isn't as important as one might think. These 41mm throttles are good for 180+ hp and are frequently used on 2.0L engines.

If you calculate out the surface area of 4x41mm you'll find it is more than any NA engine running a single throttle, so surely it can't be too restrictive?