help with 4age engine block

mk2 gt

all right guys i would post this on toyspeed, but i cant join as they dont allow hotmail accounts, so i will ask here i have just picked 2 blocks up they are 4age blocks, i have a feeling they are different and maybe not bluetop.

The numbers on one of the block are - o11 and y29 with a k after it and the other is y20 o22 does any body know what one is what?

i think one might be a red top block and the other a 4agze block, as i got a 4agze intake manifold and one(or half) of a red top rocker cover(there is 2 rocker covers on red top 4ages) i also got a head with them and it is a wide intake head is there any way i can tell?

all help much appreciated

PICS ADDED!!!

THE SIDE OF ONE BLOCK

DSCN0199.jpg

YOU CAN SEE A LITTLE OIL FEED THING ON THE SIDE??? IMNOT SURE WHAT IT IS THIS IS ON THE OTHER BLOCK

oilthing.jpg

if you look at the first photo that silver thing looks like a actuator kinda

i took anothe photo side by side so you can compare the blocks also i got this little round thing what is it? :S ita a bearing for something but what?

DSCN0201.jpg

DSCN0200.jpg

basically theres only 2 blocks 3 rib from bluetops and 7? rib its easy to see on the other side of the block. Doesnt realy matter does it anyway? theres nothing special about the ZE block

i also got a head with them and it is a wide intake head is there any way i can tell?

all 4ages are wide two cam gear types, single gear type = 4afe. put up a pic and ill tell you what youve got. Smallport ftw if going n/a 16v

i have a twin cam head sitting in storage and it is wide port as its just the head and i can see the ports. i do not know what i have on my blue top but i believe its small port. doesnt the 4agze have some forged internals? there is something about the block thats stronger

ZE's have forged internals & come in both bigport & small port.

big missconception, pistons are semi forged or sqeeze cast or what ever you want to call it (<- over my head) technically not forged. And after they went to the big crank all rods of the same year of production were the same and cranks the same.

And wide intake :D I thought you were talking about valve angle as in the difference between fe and ge heads sorry.

easiest way to tell waht head you have for a noob is count the intake runners. 8 for bigport and 4 for small

We used a 7rib for a 4age turbs cause they are the only ones supposed to be strong enough to handle any decent boost.

ever seen anyone pop a block on a 4age that wasnt a leg out of bed? doubt your ever going to do it from cylinder pressure even on the 3 rib. Seen a few stock internal bluetops boosted up 170kw etc

• 2 weeks later...

if you havent found it already, this page: http://www.billzilla.org/4agstock.htm has some good 4age info - especially if you need to work out what kind of 4age you've got.

theres pics of the different port designs about halfway down.. big port is quite wide and flat compared to the smallport.

also smallports have an oil return at the back of the head on the right side - if you've got one of these you'd probably want a smallport block so its got somewhere to plug into, plus those extra ribs cant hurt

ive got a smallport sitting in a mates garage and could get you some pics of the block/head if you want

ZE's have forged internals & come in both bigport & small port.

big missconception, pistons are semi forged or sqeeze cast or what ever you want to call it (<- over my head) technically not forged. And after they went to the big crank all rods of the same year of production were the same and cranks the same.

theres the missconception there

they ARE forged. semi forged = impossible

you either forge something or you cast it.

and the 4agze ones are forged.

hypertutectic forged pistons is what they be.

where the "semi forged" comes from is they arenot cold forged

the slug is heated so its soft, but not molten then forged.

4age blocks arnt weak, so a bigport block is no problem

unless your after 500hp when maybe some block warpage MAY happen.

Im from toyspeed and have been in the debates fully agree with you on the semi-forged call was just being lazy. semi-solid forged is abit more on the money and hypereutectic is just refering to the alloy mix but you know all that. My bad, realised what I posted after the fact and never changed it