Help on chassis plates (Has been changed in the past)

yelo76

Hiya,

I am pretty new to this, I have a TA22 that I am in the process of cutting rust out of and rebuilding. I bought it off a guy down contry and during the process of stripping it down for rebuild have noticed that the chassis plate in the car doesn't match the car itself.

What I have is a TA22 celica, the correct chassis plate should start with TA22 (And happened to be lying in the car with all the extra parts). The one mounted on the firewall starts with TA23 (The next version of the celica with the longer nose).

Sometime in the past someone has changed the plates to avoid the registration lapsing. My question is for those in the know, is there an easy process to go through to get this corrected? who would I deal with? or am I up for alot of pain.

Any advice on this would be a great help.

Cheers

The firewall actually has an Australian regulation plate that has the correct TA22 number on it. I have had both numbers checked out through a police contact and they have nothing on file.

My only thought is when I get it rolling to take it into somewhere like VTNZ and ask the question. Since I have had it the Rego has been on hold, so I am hoping I can get away with it by pleading ignorance.

If both of the cars have been registered in NZ in the past (the TA22 and the TA23), and if the rego has lapsed on both (which is why you are going to the VTNZ for compliance) then......

I would remove all of the TA23 stuff, and present the car with only the original chassis stamping, I would also remove the old number plates etc.

While one of the old owners has done a dodgy so long as both cars were legit, then there is no harm in returning the car back to its origins. The alternate thing to do is fill the original chassis stamping and leave the car as a TA23 using the original number plates, and the compliance plates as the car's identity.

If the rego is dead, VTNZ are going to put new VIN plates on the car which will be the car's "official" identifier anyway.

yeh, that was pretty much my plan after giving some thought this week. The identifier is only a rivited on plate (the chassis plate from the manufacturer), there is nothing physically stamped on the car. My thought is to check out the TA22 number and get some history.

Assuming nothing unusual, I will deregister the TA23 number and plates. Change it back to what it should be (drill out rivets and re rivet the correct plate on) and then re-register the car with all the correct numbers, getting new plates at the same time.

I think this will be the less painful option and gets the car back to what it should be for the future.

I'd be having a good look on the firewall for the original chassis stamping.

The Celica's were all (to my knowledge) assembled in Japan, so somewhere on the firewall should be a stamping.

Perhaps its been either cut out or bogged over, if its still there and the original car has been registered in NZ before, its a good "backup" to the rivited plate.