• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

equal length means casting one up...

not really a cheap thing to do!

That's why I said as close to equal length as possible runners :wink:

imagine 2 straight pipes like / \ with the carb on the top. It would be tall but should fit under capri bulge

i was thinking more on the lines of a plenum type manifold.

is this a race or street engine?

That's the easy way becasue he could run a holley then

yeah i was thinking in terms of using the twin carbs he was talking about.

if it was me.

id go holley, or triple webers.

i think the holley would be the cheapest/easiest and also suit a stock to mild engine better

the triple webers i would consider for a rather serious version.

my head says go the holley.

my heart says go the webers

i think the twin cortina webers will be costly and a pita to set up.

really only worth thinking about if you can make a new manifold.

man i wish i still had my capri :cry:

Cool thnks for the info. The old man knows someone who used to work for hamilton jet. As some people may know they used the V6 alot. I think he did alot of desgin work on the inlet manifold too. I'm to lazy to go talk to him. Guess I have to now

dont want to be a downer man ,but i dont know why u are bothering with the ford v6 they are buckets of shit . they are fucken heavy and very primitive in design . they are not proven to be very reliable in stock form let alone modified. that is why there is not alot of other people doing it only die hard capri fans . why not go for a jappa v6 or a chevy they are are a very good engine ,relativly light and make good hp stock and have a huge aftermarket parts available. OR if u want to keep it ford a late model mustang 3.8 v6 cheap imported engines are available turf the injection bolt a 4 barrell manifold on a go from there. ya might even be able to pick one up with a 5 spd behind it. having had a few mates with the old ford v6 ive seen too much good money thrown after bad on these shittas. if u wanted to build on like the factory hotrods it would cost u a small fortune to get only a similar power output to a stock 3.8 or chevy v6. thats my 2c sorry bout that

ont want to be a downer man ,but i dont know why u are bothering with the ford v6 they are buckets of shit

I'd give a testicle for an RS2600, with the bosch mechanical fuel injection, and the triangular boot. If I want speed, then I can got out and get an evo, but that's not the point, is it?

dont want to be a downer man ,but i dont know why u are bothering with the ford v6 they are buckets of shit . they are fucken heavy and very primitive in design . they are not proven to be very reliable in stock form let alone modified. that is why there is not alot of other people doing it only die hard capri fans . why not go for a jappa v6 or a chevy they are are a very good engine ,relativly light and make good hp stock and have a huge aftermarket parts available. OR if u want to keep it ford a late model mustang 3.8 v6 cheap imported engines are available turf the injection bolt a 4 barrell manifold on a go from there. ya might even be able to pick one up with a 5 spd behind it. having had a few mates with the old ford v6 ive seen too much good money thrown after bad on these shittas. if u wanted to build on like the factory hotrods it would cost u a small fortune to get only a similar power output to a stock 3.8 or chevy v6. thats my 2c sorry bout that

Wow you know so much about cars I should of asked you first. As for them being shitters with no power. I have the TVR web site here somewhere I think you should contact them. Cos they had them poking out around 220HP .

And as for binning the injection on my 3.8 whish you had told me before I bought this computer for it.

Gee your smart

Have a cry. :rolleyes:

Like SYKOV6 said, they're NOT reknowned for their wellbeing, let alone good tuning. Big whipdee shit, a race engine made 220hp, I should fucken hope so. Are you planning on pulling yours apart after every outing? Do you have a spare race mechanic up your ass?

He was offering you his opinion, an opinion from someone who has been there an done and seen that. He even made sure to put "that's my 2c" at the end, and you still decide to be a condescending assface. Bravo, Noddy.

well, some of SYK0V6s comments are actually incorrect.....

but i dont know why u are bothering with the ford v6 they are buckets of shit . they are fucken heavy and very primitive in design . they are not proven to be very reliable in stock form let alone modified

like most of that. how ever you have to remember apples to apples....

reliability has never been an issue with them, dont know where you got that from :?

Have a cry. :rolleyes:

Like SYKOV6 said, they're NOT reknowned for their wellbeing, let alone good tuning. Big whipdee shit, a race engine made 220hp, I should fucken hope so. Are you planning on pulling yours apart after every outing? Do you have a spare race mechanic up your ass?

Who mentioned race engine. These motors are very well known for make big torque. Also very well known for letting go after monkeys have worked on them and or modified them.

As for offering your two cents. You need some change.

well, some of SYK0V6s comments are actually incorrect.....
but i dont know why u are bothering with the ford v6 they are buckets of shit . they are fucken heavy and very primitive in design . they are not proven to be very reliable in stock form let alone modified

like most of that. how ever you have to remember apples to apples....

reliability has never been an issue with them, dont know where you got that from :?

Sorry dude I'm with SYKOV6 on that one. The factory engine is notorious for shitting the fibre cam drive. That said I know many people who used them becasue they are the factory engine. Personally I'd rather have a Pinto 2L than Essex.

Stolen from http://www.fordcaprilaser.co.uk/capri_engines.htm

The original Essex engines were produced in 1965 and were available in 1663cc and 1996cc V4 capacities. A year later the 2494cc and 2994cc V6 versions were introduced. In 1970 the design of these engines was 'uprated' which resulted in a stronger and more powerful unit (but unfortunately, not lighter -the V6 is a very heavy power unit). The post 1970 uprated 3000cc engine is the most popular unit for modifying and all further information relates to this engine type only. At this juncture it should be pointed out that the pre 1970 and post 1970 engine types have many components which, although similar in appearance, ARE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. So if you are sourcing used parts, be careful. The 3 litre Essex is renown for its high torque characteristics which gave it the most grunt of all Ford UK production cars at that time. Although it has a very useable 136+bhp in standard trim, a 20% increase on this can be fairly easily achieved for fast road trim. The V6’s potential is well over 200bhp but the cost and ultimate reliability of such conversions means there is little demand for tuning to this level.

The first modification to this engine is to replace the restrictive airbox for a K&N filter. This alone will regularly see an increase of between 5-8bhp with the 38DGAS carb. The V6 responds well to a cam change and, if funds allow, a pair of modified heads. The original Group 1 conversion used a Weber 40DFI5 carb and, providing the mechanical lift pump is replaced with a higher capacity electric fuel pump, will cope with power outputs of at least 185bhp. Don't forget to modify the pistons when using a high lift cam and larger valves, as the original valve pockets will no longer provide the necessary clearance. The most common component failure on this engine is the camshaft drive gear. This should always be replaced with a new gear during a rebuild and a modified steel gear is recommended for all stages of tune. Although there is a trade off with some increase in gear noise against the standard nylon or fibre material, the risk of the standard gear stripping its teeth are very high. Another weak area is the design of the crankshaft lubrication and it is imperative that the crankshaft is cross-drilled if engine speeds in excess of 6500 rpm are to be used. The con rods should be fitted with heavy duty bolts and pay close attention to the press fit of the piston pin in the small end which can be another bone of contention with this engine. Removing any weight from the rotating components (in particular the flywheel) will seriously upset the balance of the engine. A full rebalance is therefore essential. Moving up to the top end, another weakness is the pressed steel rocker arms pivoting on a stud which is only pressed into the cylinder head. For any high power conversions the studs must be replaced with threaded ones and a stronger roller rocker kit fitted. For the really serious tuner, oversize forged pistons that increase the engine size to 3161 cc are available as well as conversions to use either a 4 barrel Holley carb or triple Weber DCNF carbs. These are just a few of the many items now available for this classic engine.

Essesx_V6.gif

• Like 1

yeah but thats an easy fix.

hardly qualifies the engine as notoriously unreliable.

its not uncommon for them to still be running with the original cog even today.

nothing else in that article is unusual for any performance rebuild.

remember apples to apples......

and also HP is bull shit, torque is whats important :D

I know all abouy the cam gear that is an easily fixed problem. Sure I've seen these motors knock the heads clean off the block. But what engine doesn't have problems. Sure I could fit a jappa. But then why go to the hassle I could just buy a jappa

As for the pinto. Only two things come two litres. Milk and juice.

Having said that not many other engine will take the abuse thay will. No essex will valve bounce half the day and still come back for more.

Horse for course. If you want to win the traffic light drags go the jappa. If you want to cruise in 70s style it's essex all the way.

Jap cars break cam belts. Gee now there notoriously unreliable too!!!!!!!!

where all going to have to fit lawn mower motors.

True, I'd have said the essex had issues...

Only on a well looked after one :wink:

nothing else in that article is unusual for any performance rebuild.

remember apples to apples......

Ok compairing apples with apples: Pinto 2L, essex 3L both worked to shit the whole extra litre of displacement netts about 20-30 HP.

The 2L pinto has an SG iron fillet rolled crank, the essex is prone to crank problems.

and also HP is bull shit, torque is whats important :D

Really?

If that's the case why does a petrol 2L piss on a diesel 2L which has way more torque but less hp?

Have a read of.... http://www.allpar.com/eek/hp-vs-torque.html

horses for courses..... the latest generation diesels do very well.

and.... again.... apples to apples....

why compare a 2 ltr sports car engine to a 2 ltr ute engine?

say youv got 2 cortinas (MK3 2 doors coz i like them)

both have 2 ltr pintos.

one has 200hp and 150nn

the other 175hp and 200mn (figures pulled out of my arse)

everything else about them is exactly the same

which do you think will be fastest around a track?