Performance parts for a ford Essex V6

J2Racing

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

they had to build some DOHC motors for road cars or they could race them in production cars. As far as I know they built about 500.

As I understand it they ran a special run of essex blocks that where strong enough to be over board to 3.5 not sure what the road going RS3.1 used but the race cars used these special blocks. I think they ran about 100. I know they tried to bore a 100 to 3.5 and only 2 survived I'm guessing the rest ended up being Vtwins :twisted:

ok, as far as the 3100 goes they were all overbored essex engines, still single cam.

the rules stated the base production car had to have an engine over a certain cc rating to allow it to run in the larger capicity class.

so they over bored them to take them to 3100cc. and yeah not all blocks survived the boring! i believe the number made was 200

the modifications under the class rules then allowed them to use extra cams and CCs.

they later used that enigne in f5000 getting like 500hp

ok, as far as the 3100 goes they were all overbored essex engines, still single cam.

Not the Cosworth GAA that was in the RS3100. It was an Essex bottom end with DOHC Cossie heads.....or are you talking just the road RS3100's?

They were all single cam

gaa_v6pa.jpg

Zandv-1974-4.jpg

This is a damn interesting read http://homepage.mac.com/frank_de_jong/P ... Capri.html

I stand corrected on that one. According to "essential Ford capri" 1000 where meant to be bulit for homologation but only 248 bulit officaly. Funny thing is they use a weber 38 . I think this is the standard V6 carb could be wrong.

I have a spare block or two may have to over bore.

It has been suggested to me to go dual carb with 2 34/36 weber. Anyideas on this. The plan is to mill the top out of the inlet manifold , and get a new top laser cut that will take the two carbs.

Can the second throat on the carbs be reset to open earlier. I had a MKII capri 2L and the second throat didn't open till 5000RPM. Bit late for this motor.

mechanical I think a while for me on these to, Just a dirty old cortina carb. We just thought of how we could use the cheapest possible carb. These sound quite practical too. Last one I bought cost me a dozen been icncluding inlet manifold.

cool, id look at making up a manifold.

i think you may need to consult some one local whos done this sort of thing before. as you ned to take into consideration cam, port profile, rev range, compression ratio etc

basicly you need a plan of what to do. while you can learn a lot from the web, having some one whos done it before, even on a different engine, will be a huge help.

cool, id look at making up a manifold.

Couldn't agree more

i think you may need to consult some one local whos done this sort of thing before. as you ned to take into consideration cam, port profile, rev range, compression ratio etc

I'd be going for a carb throat per runner (ie 3, 2 barrel carbs), as close to equal length as possible runners (short for HP) with changable trumpets so that you can tune it a bit with trumpet length.