Performance parts for a ford Essex V6

J2Racing

I'm building up What a MKI V6 Capri. I was planning to run a Tripple carb set up but the deal to get it custom built has fallen through. Anyone know of a local supply for under a kidney. Burtons sell one but the 600 pounds is what I plan to spend on the engine. in kiwi money. I've hear of running holleys. I can get a 350 cheap. Any ideas please.

Sorry don't want injection or forced induction I want to stay retro looking.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

there was a triple 32/32 weber manifold available try redline go to a v8 shop buy a holley 1 inch spacer cut the top off your old manifold the weld the holley spacer on then go for a 390d/p holley which is a 4 barrel

I know the part your talking. Thats what I'm thinking of doing.

Alot of jet boats used to use holleys just not sure how it will work on a road car.

Few red necks using them to.

mate did said coversion on his manifold worked mint looked almost factory. the worst thing people do is over carb them some drop kicks put a 600 holley on em . its only 3lts even with a big cam ,ported heads headers and a big bore a 390 is HEAPS. i only had a 465 on my chevy v6 and that was making about 320hp a 600 made it run like a dog down low but the 465s smaller venturis speed the airflow up making it way more responsive

I'm building up What a MKI V6 Capri.

I was planning to run a Tripple carb set up but the deal to get it custom built has fallen through. Anyone know of a local supply for under a kidney. '

Good luck on that one.... try the zepher club (they ran the Essex didn't they?)

Burtons sell one but the 600 pounds is what I plan to spend on the engine.

Try http://www.teamblitz.com I know Norm has 2.8L parts but not sure about parts for the Essex as they didn't get it in the US IIRC.

I've hear of running holleys. I can get a 350 cheap. Any ideas please.

Sorry don't want injection or forced induction I want to stay retro looking.

Throttle body injection looks retro, I keep getting people ask me what carb or tell me that it's not injected :lol:

Yes Zephyr used the Essex. It was the first V6 put into production in the world. The 2.8 is the german motor much like the 2.3 in the cortina, but much better.

I love the look of your injection but at this stage I want to try the carb method. Not sure on running a 4 barrel on a six. Will I need a plenum chanber or something because it's uneven. I could be wrong but someone said a twin throat or triple carbs are better because they are both divisable buy the number of cylinders. This could all be BS in which case I'll crawl back in my cage.

its not bs dude but it doesnt make f all differance its no diff than a two barrall carby on the stocker. when ya cut the top off the stock manifold it becomes an open plenum. when u combine an engine with the correct size carby the intake pulses will easily draw the air\fuel mix to the right port. 3x2 barrel carbs simply position the venturi closer to the port it may add slightly better throttle responce but you would be pretty hard pressed to notice it. imagine a holden or valiant straight 6 with a single 4 barrell manifold thats a long way to the front and rear ports but they still make heaps of power. when u have a big duration camshaft and ported heads with a carb thats too big the intake pulses are weak and the airflow is slow the small airholes and passages in the carb dont pick up the intake pulse thus the throttle responce is shit until you have a few revs on board. with the correct size carb you still have good air flow thru the carb makeing everything work properly. its all about air speed.

i know of some one with a couple of those engines :wink:

Then you know the location of the other two that came into the country as far as I'm aware only two came into the country. Well thats race engines. Guess there are a few RS3.1 motors floating about.

there was a collection of parts/engines in twizel of all places. they were sold to a guy in hamilton.

cant say exactly how many, but i think its more than two. but i could be wrong.

its not the guy who owns paul faheys (iirc) old race car either.

hehe shouldnt be too hard to work out who it is

:wink:

I know who owns the fayhe car. As it has been in the south island for a good many years. In fact possibly since paul sold it. It was not the car burnt out at tertonga. I think that was the haliday car which of course was not a genuine car. It was a build up with a kitted motor. That engine is being used to restore the fayhe car.

Are you sure they are the DOHC essxex and not the granda motor. Had someone try and sell me a DOHC granda motor once.

granada? do you mean colonge? the essex is often mistakenly called a grenada, one of those 24v colonges from a scorpio would be cool. didnt think they put a 24v in a granada?

i havnt personally seen them, but i have no reason to doubt they arnt what i was told they were. ill find out more

I know what your saying about meatheads calling essxe granda trademe is full of them!

As far as I'm aware the very late granda which is XD falcon shape used them. As far as I'm aware the only car the used the essex dohc was the RS3.1 I thought the scorpio was a german modle and fitted with the granda motor.