Seedy Al's 1972 Datsun 620 Chop Shop Ute Hack

Seedy Al

Discussion Thread //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/20583-seedy-als-620-uterus/?hl=seedy

So, here we go again.......

I have just purchased a damn Datsun 620 Ute... not a bad little ute really. Has had the cab rebuilt and Painted, although its all a little rough. Also has 60mm blocks in the back already, and wound down torsion bars, nothing special. Also came with some groovy 15 inch wheels.

Anyway, the plan,

Bolt on my Pajero 18's, bleed up the brakes so they work, fully tune out the engine. and Fix up the tray so it all looks minty fresh.

Then sell the whore, hopefully to my boss, as a work hack, good times

Anyway, pictures as I bought it today

PB300194.jpg

PB300196.jpg

Great

Allan

well, in between working on the cressida yesterday I manage to adjust and bleed the rear brakes, so thats all spiffing, and hopefully will be doing the fronts today. Anyway, last night I pulled out my pajero 18's and decided to fit them on, to see if i like them or not

Pajero Rim

PC020237.jpg

On the shitter

PC020238.jpg

PC020240.jpg

Im pretty damn happy with how they look. I was thinking of doing steel rims with white walls. But after seeing these on there, flag that, the pajero rims are staying. it kinda sucks though, the tires on the rear have far to much profile, and look retarded. So I will be getting some new tires the same as the front. 215/35/18

Also, the truck just sits so stupid, as I cant really lower the back any more, or the chassis going to fit the diff over big bumps and stuff...... so i might have a go at my first C Notch.... that should be fun. Been having a look a dn its pretty damn easy. Only thing I will need to do is reloctae the fuel tank, which is a bummer, as its biggish. And I really dont wanna spend money on a fuel cell.... we will see

Anyway, good times

Allan

So, I tried to bleed up all the brakes, and no, they are stuffed. So I have on order, a full set of brake shoes for the front and rear, and brand new wheel cylinders all round. So hopefully that will sort out the problem, with out me needing to rebuild the master cylinder, because that would be all bad. All up the brake parts are $248.50 retail, but thankfully I get trade on that due to me being a mechanic... still pretty crazy, and gay

Anyway, got all the wheels on it today, and I am very happy. and I also pulled the sides off the tray, and I think it looks heaps better, so I will be keeping it that way, but I do need to clean it all up, and remove the pins that hold the sides etc on.

But the first step is getting some wood in the tray so I can get wof. once it has wof, I will make c notch, and and buy some bags. have a buddy with some valves and switch box, so Its likely I will buy those. Then all i need is the lines, and to sort out a engine drivin compressor.

Anyway, here are some lovely pics of it with out the sides on the tray

PC030243.jpg

PC030247.jpg

PC030249.jpg

Jackie

Oh, I also fixed the selctor problem, as its cloumn change, when I got it, it wouldnt really go in to first, and I never got it into third, had a look today, and the cross shaft that goes between the gear box and chassis had fallen out of the box, so I undid the gear box mount, moved box over, and maged to push the shaft back in there. So now it Shifts in all gears!!

Still abit sloppy though, but thats ok, it works

Allan

yay, cut the tabs and pins off the tray today. and cleaned down the dash and scrapped the over sray off the windows, so its getting there. Will hopefully buy a length of angle iron tomorrow, and get on sorting out this tray. brakes will be there tomorrow as well. So I will be busy. Basicly, the guy who does my warrents has gone away for the week, so I have till next monday to sort out everthing. Shouldnt be too hard. Tires for the 18's is the biggest killer, but will try and get ok second hand ones.

Anway

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Stupid damn ute.

SO i fianlly got all the stuff to do the brakes and shoes and everything, went to bleed them up today, and pedal just crapped out, Air was everywhere. SO i pulled out the master cylinder, and someone has replaced 2 seals in it.... There are 7 in the damn thing, and 5 are stuffed. No wonder I have been having problems. This ute is a joke.

Anyway, bought new tires for the rims, and took them to firestone to get them fit. the chap there tells me at 5 oclock that they cant do them... yeah, real helpful. Pitty the ute was meant to be going in for wof tomorrow, that wont be happening....... Dman it, looks like it wont be legal this year. Cuts me pretty deep, as I wanted to get wof, and then do c notch over new years break......

Looks like I might panel and paint the crown instead if my boss will allow me.

Allan

• 1 month later...

wow, long time since i updated.........

So what has been happening, well, it has been sitting out the back of work collecting rail dust like a bitch, and finding out that trying to get a gear box for the crwon to get it ready for mega wellington cruise wasnt going to happen, I decided to get back into and get it done for the cruise.

So, I was still having problems with the brakes, tried to bleed them like 5 times, stilkl the same shit pedal, took master cylinder off, checked everything, boss checked everything, that all seemed fine, so put it back in, bleed it all up, still the same.

At this point i was ready to get some fuel and a lighter and say good bye tot he thing, but though, before i rreally go ape, I might check the adjustments all over again. did that, and thery were out a bit so I NOW HAVE BRAKES!!!!!!!

So happy, but when i took it for a drive the pedal was shaking like a bitch, so got front drums machined, and now they are very good.

So next problem was the lack of tray...... So i bought some second hand packing ply for $20, and let the old man go nuts, turned out mint, he is good with wood, and i am so happy with it. will post pics tomorrow.

Also replaced the front ball joints and front shocks, rides really good now too. SO all that is left, is the wof. So that should be a walk in the park with some luck, and as I am going away tomorrow luch for a few days, it has to be done and dusted first thing in the moring, so I am hoping so hard that it will pass.....

Anyway, updates with out pics is so shit.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...