PAINT THREAD

dylan

if its a good deal then i could be keen! sounds like a mint idea.

you could try the guy who painted my car, took him about a month to do but was a good job, and cheap.

he is in ngarawahia, pm if you want his details he also does warrants and any mechanical repairs etc.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just bumping this bad boy thread back into action cos i need some advice from the painting guru's

Looking to paint my engine bay this weekend, once its in primer, what grit should i sand it back with before i go for my good coat?

Also, looking to do 4 or so coats, should i sand in between coats? If so what with?

Love you

• 4 weeks later...

Base coat = usually a dark coat which covers the primer (check my mini thread for that ugly dark green colour) then you spray the top coat, which will be the final colour (which is sorta "transparent" which is why you spray it over a darker coat of the real colour, else you get weird streaks etc from a light primer coat underneath)

Then you spray clear over that.

Just tell them what you're after, they'll sort you out, personally when using metallics the base/top then clear is easy cause you can make sure you have covered everything before spraying the top coat.

I hope that made sence, I've had afew beers

cheers man i just had another look at the mini thread and ive got a couple more q's for ya lol um so i understand you used 3 base coats 3 top coats a two clear? what im wanting to know is can you say once you have done your 3 base coats leave it overnight and then do top coats or does it still have to be tacky and does the same apply with the clear?also did you wet and dry between any of that?also i think you mentioned somewhere that you used 2k clear over the 1k whats the advantage of this?...........

hope that made sense lol

afaik you can leave the base and spray the top coat the next day but don't quote me on that, just ask the guy you buy the paint from. My uncle did it that way and it turned out fine though

Yeah I used 2k clear cause I already had heaps and it was cheap (resene) :wink:

I think I did 4 coats of clear and only 2 on the roof cause it was already 2k and was nice and wet/glossy

Better off doing more lighter coats of clear till you get the hang of spraying a nice wet coat for final, don't get carried away and just wet sand and buff if its orange peeley cause its a shit load less hassle than getting runs out afterwards (spraying a wet clear is alot more prone to running on you as its full of thinners)

I didn't sand anything during the process. Also make sure you get the body clean with grease remover first cause even finger prints etc can make it bubble (had this happen before)

How far away are you from painting?

whats good for cleaning vinyl before painting it, ive used meths and thats ok but deosnt get the hard stuff. I think its mostly oily hair that causes the paint not to stick

I usually go for a degreaser and water mix and a toothrbush or bigger brush if its bigger. Works mint for me, never had a problem with dye.