PAINT THREAD

dylan

using masking paper to remove a run is more common that you would expect. It means that you can feather it out if you are only a few coats in without having to wait for it to dry or without ever touching the car with sandpaper, usefull technique in high volume shops.

who said sandpaper??,theres more then one way to remove a run.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

using masking paper to remove a run is more common that you would expect. It means that you can feather it out if you are only a few coats in without having to wait for it to dry or without ever touching the car with sandpaper, usefull technique in high volume shops.

who said sandpaper??,theres more then one way to remove a run.

Tell us then :wink:

watched a thing on the tele today going through steps of painting an etype jag and on the final coat of primer they mixed the paint with the primer why is this?

Guide coat?.. that is a good program, missed it today - seen it a few years back anyway

Guide coat = colour with primer, when blocked back it shows low spots that still need to be fixed

What sort of respirator should I get?, my one isn't great and I can't find filters for it, I will be painting outside or in the garage with doors open etc

Found http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 289623.htm

and http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 350887.htm

I figuered the 3M one would be easier to find filters for? and what kind of filter cartridge do I need as there are organic, acid etc and how long do they last? My one says do not use with isocyanates and most of the paint I use has them and it makes me sick and I get headaches from it..

buy a decent 3m or norton style one from the place you buy your paint. The problem with isocyantes is the charcoal or carbon absorbs them but you dont know when the charcoal is full and the iso's are coming through so change your cartridges often. Reckon bout $60 for one i think.

What sort of respirator should I get?, my one isn't great and I can't find filters for it, I will be painting outside or in the garage with doors open etc

Found http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 289623.htm

and http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 350887.htm

I figuered the 3M one would be easier to find filters for? and what kind of filter cartridge do I need as there are organic, acid etc and how long do they last? My one says do not use with isocyanates and most of the paint I use has them and it makes me sick and I get headaches from it..

stick to 3M.however that one looks outdated,you can pick them up for under a hundy.....well worth it

Hey guys,

This is my starlet i know its not old school etc.

Im just tidying it up as i have been driving it around with a black door for a while now and i kinder want to sell it.

Now over the weekend, i just sanded the door down and took some areas with scratchs right back to bare metal. Then i went over the whole door with 230 then primered, then i started on the front panel and a bit on the bonet which i didnt really plan on doing, so i am now gunna respray all 3 of these.

The front panel has bog all the way threw it and is cracked in some places, i just wanna fix it the car up to sell on, so would sanding the cracks out with 80 grit just in the effected area, and filling them, and sanding them off etc be alright? i wanna try to the least amount of filling as possible.

Ive been doing wet sands.

I put a undercoat over the panels to stop rust and water getting into the bog.

Also with the bonet, it has been flicked with paint before, would it just be a good idea to sand it down wet, with say 200grit till the top layer clear coat etc is gone? Then Primer it and 400 it with the door, and front driver panel

Also, tips on how not to get pin holes with filler?

Pics

Stralyrepaint0077.jpg

Stralyrepaint0099.jpg

Stralyrepaint0088.jpg

Stralyrepaint0100.jpg

Stralyrepaint0111.jpg

First off for the cracks I personally would strip all the bog out then use a hammer n dolly to try an get it straight as possible then do a skim of bog on the whole dent area then block sand it back. Yes you can just sand the clear then prime over.

To get rid of pin-holes in the bog try mixing the hardner/bog differently, try "fold" it rather than swirl it around