PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liquid Nitrogen works a treat....

Otherwise a wire wheel where the heatgun and scraper can't reach is my current method.

Too scared to try any chemicals cos like Bling mentions, not sure I can remove every trace prior to final coating.

If you used modern shit like urethane then there is no magical acid, alkaline or solvent shit that will easily remove it without being insanely strong. It’s a modern material that is meant to be chemically resistant. Mechanical removal is the only route. I have wire wheeled off a whole car of seam sealer where the paint didn’t work with it, it’s character building.

• Haha 1

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah as above. The black bits are just treated rust on top with rust underneath. Keep it wet with acid and get out a small wire brush and agitate it then if needed do another app of acid. Always wash with water, then get out the scotch brite and prepsol and clean for paint, you want bright white clean steel every time no residue or bullshit under the paint at all.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
2 hours ago, 87creepin said:

Does anyone have any success with electric dual action sanders?

I'm looking to do get a sander and an air compressor, but due to my low budget it seems that a pneumatic sander wouldn't get enough air from a smaller air Compressor. 

I have a ryobi 150mm one and fark me it's done some work. My recomendation would be just try and buy a 150mm one as the discs are more common and cheaper.

31 minutes ago, 87creepin said:

Cheers @rusty360and @JustHarry I might have to just stump up the extra cash for a better compressor cos it seems the one I wanted (40l 2.5) doesn't have enough free air delivery for my spray gun anyway despite what the sellers may try and say..and just get the air DA.. 

Hey mate, I'm no expert but have used both and to be honest the electric was much nicer to use. Quieter, no air line to drag around, no hamming the shit out ya poor wee compressor as they chew plenty of air.

• Like 1

Yeah i've gone away from air for most of my stuff, so I have a $1500 compressor to blow up tyres / balloons... Electric would be my pic too for big jobs. I tend to do smaller ones so roll a 125mm battery sander and a few batteries. Ain't no pristine paint jobs leaving my shed though. Air is good, especially if you have a big shop. But it's pretty noisy and a decent compressor is $$$ so you'd have to be pretty into it for that to pay off IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

I've got my compressor and water trap, and an air line with crimped fittings on it. However to fit the water trap I've got to make a hose connecting from compressor to water trap then from that a hose to my gun.

Is it okay if I just cut some hose off and use barbs with hose clamps, or should I just get another air line with the crimped fittings? 

Cheers

Oh and I got a ryobi one+ sander! 

22 minutes ago, 87creepin said:

I've got my compressor and water trap, and an air line with crimped fittings on it. However to fit the water trap I've got to make a hose connecting from compressor to water trap then from that a hose to my gun.

Is it okay if I just cut some hose off and use barbs with hose clamps, or should I just get another air line with the crimped fittings? 

Cheers

Oh and I got a ryobi one+ sander! 

Barbs and hose clamps will work fine.

You really should have some line between the compressor and water trap to let the air cool down and the water condense.

• Like 2

Water trap at compressor is wrong. Do some homework on that. Pretty sure it's pointless in that location. As mentioned above, cooling is needed. 

There should be plenty of guides online as to how to set it all up for best results.

I have a water/oil trap at the compressor, then a disposable filter at the gun after about 15m of hose and it has worked fine for the painting I have done. 

Better to have a condenser or a line of pipe going up and down the wall for everything to cool and drop out of the air. 

But I move mine around a lot, and the gun filters seem to last forever (I cut the last few open to see how they are doing) and I have never got a fish eye or water droplet come through the gun

One day I will mount it outside the shed so it's not so noisy and run some air lines through the wall

• Like 2