PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A good plan B then at least. Depends how keen you are, i'd probably give the whole thing a sand. Haven't done a job like that, but have chased my tail trying to feather edges before and giving up and taken the whole thing back to nothing. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thinking of respraying my mx5. Its currently silver and ruined by stickers pulling the clear off and scratches/dents etc. 

Looking at painting it Yellow like the Toyota Aqua. Its kind of orangey, but I like it.

Unsure if to go with base coat with 2k clear or just go for 2k colour.

I think the clear with be more work but is it better for colour UV resistance etc?

It's not a show car and will be a home job.

23 hours ago, ~Slideways~ said:

Thinking of respraying my mx5. Its currently silver and ruined by stickers pulling the clear off and scratches/dents etc. 

Looking at painting it Yellow like the Toyota Aqua. Its kind of orangey, but I like it.

Unsure if to go with base coat with 2k clear or just go for 2k colour.

I think the clear with be more work but is it better for colour UV resistance etc?

It's not a show car and will be a home job.

If you just want a home job go 2k basecoat. Comes off kind of plasticy but you can get away with two coats and can always buff it a few months later. 

Speaking of 2k basecoat, my car needs to be knocked back after painting, I have a dumb question...

Has anyone tried knocking back paint on large flat sections with a whetstone? Say 1000 grit or so, it's dead flat, larger than a standard sanding block, no need to buy sandpaper, no messy old bits of paper hanging around, no wasting time changing paper etc

Can't see it ending well, if it worked well it would be the norm. Being flat and with sharp edges / corners, I can see it scratching the crap out of the paintwork. Maybe if the panel was glass flat with no curves it could work, but I doubt many areas will be that flat. Try it on someone elses car first.

I know this has been covered here, but for the life of me I can not find it. 

Looking to buy a medium to good spray gun for primer. I am going to get the main shell blasted/primered all at once, but would like to be able to do doors/guards/small bits at home. 

If someone can point me in the right direction or even to the correct page of this thread, that would be amazing.

TIA 

I have a sagola gt3 that's a decent gun. 1.8 tip from memory

Dont be tempted to buy a cheap shit one as a good even coat of epoxy/primer is the first step to a good paint job.

I cant speak for the iwata az3 specifically but I also have a w400 for a top coat gun and is decent for the money.

Any interest from anyone in one of these?

https://www.gatx.com.tw/en-us/product/GS-204M

Had it in the drawer a few years new unused, 1.4mm nozzle. Got it from panel shop (Resene automotive) as a decent all rounder sort of gun. Seems like a decent unit for the money ($160 IIRC). Seems a shame to not use it, but resale also might be nothing. The nozzle looks to be the same as many others and specs say it suits other sizes. 

• 2 weeks later...