PAINT THREAD

dylan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got some Epotec 408 primer. Mixed it real good with a wooden stirring wand because it had separated. Didn't stir the hardener. Used the cup and mixed it 4:1 like the sheet said. Stirred it good in the mixing cup.

Brushed it on. Just one coat, not real thick. Definitely needs another coat for full coverage. 

It still doesn't feel hard dry. I made too much so there was about 15mm left in the cup and that has gone real thick and goopy.

Sheet says 16 hours to hard dry. But it's been at least 48.

Did I do it wrong?

On 21/04/2021 at 19:28, Adoom said:

Got some Epotec 408 primer. Mixed it real good with a wooden stirring wand because it had separated. Didn't stir the hardener. Used the cup and mixed it 4:1 like the sheet said. Stirred it good in the mixing cup.

Brushed it on. Just one coat, not real thick. Definitely needs another coat for full coverage. 

It still doesn't feel hard dry. I made too much so there was about 15mm left in the cup and that has gone real thick and goopy.

Sheet says 16 hours to hard dry. But it's been at least 48.

Did I do it wrong?

how cold and wet is it there?

leave it out in the sun and see what happens

still thats a long time.

Did you give it some time to set up? i.e after you mixed it you waited 10 mins?

i see it doenst mention it in the TDS for 408, but seems to be recomended for their other products

try mix some fresh stuff up and paint something small and leave it out and see if it does the same. might be soemthing wrong with it

10 minutes ago, tortron said:

how cold and wet is it there?

leave it out in the sun and see what happens

still thats a long time.

Did you give it some time to set up? i.e after you mixed it you waited 10 mins?

i see it doenst mention it in the TDS for 408, but seems to be recomended for their other products

try mix some fresh stuff up and paint something small and leave it out and see if it does the same. might be soemthing wrong with it

It eventually did go hard after about 4 days. Even the leftover in the pot has turned into a solid block.

It hasn't been particularly cold. I don't think it dropped below 9 in the shed over night. It's 25 in there now.

I didn't wait after mixing. I'll try that next time. It still needs at least one more coat.

Yup I would have a practice before doing it again on anything important. Usually it goes on pretty thick and the only thing that fucks it up is the cold/damp, anything below like 15 degrees will slow it down lots IMO. But 4 days is pretty extreme. In warm weather you should be able to sand that stuff on the same day and it should really always set hard in the pot overnight.

18 minutes ago, Testament said:

Weird, did you use any thinners? Mayber the hardener has lost its mojo

Only ever used durepox and often get the opposite issue of having to work real fast/brush turning to wood by the end of the job

/Ling

No thinner because I was intending to brush this bit. I also don't have a gun that I trust not to be total shit.

I would hope it's not lost its mojo, I only just bought it from panelstore.co.nz about 3 months ago.

I don't know what I'm doing/rookie Dave/this thread showed me how 2pac and Ive always put a little thinners in, just to get consistency right the durepox is too thick with nothing added. Not as much as if I was spraying it, just a little splash.

But yeah, different paint, and I don't know what I'm doing with this stuff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, tomble said:

:D

image.thumb.png.02344f6ce5cdabc64ad12f8b5775c86e.png

Annoyingly the tech data sheet says the gun needs to be 40-55 psi and the gun I ended up getting recommends 30 max PSI.  

Buuut the guy gave me some free measuring cups and filters!

I doubt that it will be that fussy to spray. I mix it up and brush it on. I did have a hassle with the hardener going hard on it's own due to not sealing it up properly though.

Make sure you have a good mask for spraying paint.

2 hours ago, Nominal said:

Make sure you have a good mask for spraying paint.

Partner is a chemist and has a bunch of leftover PPE, including a full face respirator :D.  I am concerned about beard hairs creating an unintended extra filter though...

Got a question about painting plastic guards.
Sanded the crusty Matt black off and the weird cream colour under that to the original colour, went below the original colour to the bare plastic in some spots so obviously put some adhesion promoter on. 
Where the bare parts are there has been some sort of reaction where it looks almost like paint stripper has been put on it but only around the edge of the bare plastic. 

Does this makes sense? Andy ideas why?

AEA0D79E-9ACA-4F6C-ABDA-C78EEC89AFEF.jpeg

Edited by xsinclairx
Added picture