PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hey team. Long time reader first time poster. 

just doing some shit tidy up on the floor of my Austin. Had some surface rust / yucky from a few years of no carpet + water leak + a rubber mat rubbing the grit around. 

I hit the loose stuff with a quick strip disc, some CRC rust converter on the metal and then single pack sca epoxy enamel on top. 

the enamel isn’t drying where it’s on top of the rust converter, where it was just over exisiting paint is fine. 
did I not let the rust convert dry enough?
I’ve chucked a fan and now dehumidifier in there to try help but it’s still tacky a few days on. 

ideas? 

899ED562-33E5-49D9-97C7-6B228B03E741.jpeg

CA5EB135-CDF5-4C5E-93DD-BC22F6A552BA.jpeg

3B261D0F-70C3-4D37-BB8C-852E4E0D8074.jpeg

B769FAA9-917A-4072-8434-058456A03B74.jpeg

Edited by GuyWithAviators
Not sorry for sideways pics
  • Like 1

No offense but those are not good products to use (almost everything paint related from a parts store is junk). Any of those rust converters are terrible and have bad adhesion, everything I have tried to paint on them peels off easy as. Grind that shit off, go to bunnings get some phosphoric acid for treating the rust (brunox? I think next to the thinners, or vinegar for a slower version), then go to the paint shop and buy epoxy primer (protec is cheapest IMO, like $60 for 1L kit). You can brush on the primer, then top coat with whatever in white and it will be done forever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it is some kinda acid action but the problem is they have a primer in them, it dries like some kind of jelly and does not sand well. You are just meant to paint over it and its magic jelly powers make the top coat stick. But on tests and fucking around with a bunch of those primers (including garbage weld through) they all sand horrible and the top paint flakes off eventually. It says in the CRC datasheet wait 12h and top coat with enamel. It goes straight in the bin IMO.

But yes it is a incompatibility of paint and undercoat and/or not enough cure time.

There is other ways but the stock answer is go get the good shit.

• Like 3

If you want a quick and easy, but effective rust kill/coating Brunox is king.

Can get a brush-on or spray on coating type. Grind off the CRC shit, Brunox over the rust, hit with 2K epoxy primer and live happily ever afterwards. 

• Like 1

I agree with @Spencer painting over rust converters is a big nono. Its all crap and paint doesnt stick to it at all well

For interoir stuff like that hammerite is a good option. Its ment to go over a bit of rust and seems to "kill"/treat it?. so just wire wheel/purple wheel it back as much as posible.  And then sand it with something like 80grit to give a good adhesion surface on the steel. 

Hammerite dries pretty hard. So just key it up and put whatever top coat you want over it.

2k epoxys only really work well when the steel under them us spotlessly clean otherwise rust just continues to fester underneat the epoxy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also jumping on the bandwagon here- rust converters are shit. I've had panel beaters tell me this, and I have seen it myself. Its not uncommon for light rust to form UNDER the shitty rust converter finish.. its just plain terrible stuff.

Probably fine to paint it over 99% mechanically de-rusted surfaces to treat any shallow pitting, then sand it all off again before epoxy, but otherwise no.

The problem is trying to explain to people that its simply not a magical wonder fix and the labels on the bottle are a lie. 

Edit.

Everyone can do the test themselves. Take a piece of steel with fairly light surface rust. Paint it with rust converter. Let cure. Scratch off the converter with a knife or flat head screw driver. Under the purply black coating is plain old normal ginger rust every time. it does not penetrate like people will have you believe.

• Like 1

Its all garbage!

Rust primers suck at rust converting and suck at being a primer. Worst of both worlds.

Same for weld through primer, chuck it in the bin. 2 part epoxy holds heat better and burns off less if you let it cure 24/48h.

Just rename the thread to buy some 2 part epoxy primer and apply to clean abraded/acid washed metal thx.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, Spencer said:

Its all garbage!

Rust primers suck at rust converting and suck at being a primer. Worst of both worlds.

Same for weld through primer, chuck it in the bin. 2 part epoxy holds heat better and burns off less if you let it cure 24/48h.

Just rename the thread to buy some 2 part epoxy primer and apply to clean abraded/acid washed metal thx.

Does 2k fuck up your weld though? Coz I use crc zinc spray and it's like welding clean steel