PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the plastic trim with "solution finish" spendy as but great results

It's some kind of mix of linseed oil, carbon dust and unicorn farts from what I can figure. Use like a drop per trim so goes a long way. Apparently lasts way longer then the usual stuff (turtle Wax fading in the sun the same day you use it for example)

If it was my car I'd wetsand and polish, but ain't got time for that, it's getting loaded on a ship and sent to Africa apparently

IMG_20201211_140207.jpg

Had the air pressure to high for the clear id say, so a bit orange pealy/dry (my lazyness really, compressor is stashed behind a bunch of morries at the moment) Tho i think this clear (fast flow) prefers to go on thicker than the other one i use (ultra finish), which runs a bit easier. Will improve for next time

The dust/strings of clear nibbing out werent as bad as i originally thought, i guess they melted in overnight? touched up a couple bits with 1500 and G3 compound.  

• Like 6

So this came back for final wetsand and polish (plus I had a run on the front left, all my cars do cos that's the spot with least access in my shed lol)

Couple of warm Heineken and here we are

(Plz ignore the dent in the driver's door :( there was like 15 of them and somehow I missed that. Even having it pointed out I didn't see it the other day lol, black cars suck)

IMG_20201216_175357.jpg

IMG_20201216_175404.jpg

IMG_20201216_175412.jpg

• Like 2

I have a smaller 100mm china one and its lasted like 5 years and a fair few goes over cars. Keen on a bigger one at that price, they are mostly clones of the fancy ones so work sweet. Just as above questionable how long they last but for the hobbyist its a no brainer. If you are a ninja at aliexpress searching can probably get brushes.

• Like 1

Anyone played with Hammerite paint ive found i can buy it ridiculously cheap through work so grabbed a sexy green colour and some gunmetal grey to experiment with. 

Any tips to getting it to behave correctly? Wouldn't mind making it a bit more interesting with some aliexpress pearl perhaps. 

This will go on my scooter and quad and perhaps some engine stuff on my daily if it works ok.

So just wanting to avoid it going to shit and can i clear coat it to make it glossy

I did my jack stands, jack's, and Morrie fuel tank with it like 8 years ago. I just brushed it on, it's really self leveling. Buy it didn't go very hammered. Would have done it in summer so should have been warm enough, maybe too thick.

The stands and hacks has been good and hard wearing, the tank got surface rust on it, it was baremetaled first 

I think it's got oil in it to make it fish eye and go hammered, so maybe get a cheap gun for it

I've used it on all sorts. Last lot I got off trademe $45 to the door for 750ml. Have used it on exterior steel and it seems to hold up fine, four years so far on the gate frames. Recently got "smooth red" and it's a close enough match to the factory paint. Topcoated inside the doors and other bits and bobs where I had epoxy primered but not top coated. Never had an issue. Did these too actually, they are pretty fucked inside, but just wanted to tidy them up a bit so water blasted them, wax and grease removed then brushed it on, the finish is sweet. Check back in a few years where i'll update if the painted lasted straight on to surface rust.

bumper.jpg.bd01e5866c7f08365a87d2956df790bb.jpg

22 hours ago, Bling said:

I've used it on all sorts. Last lot I got off trademe $45 to the door for 750ml. Have used it on exterior steel and it seems to hold up fine, four years so far on the gate frames. Recently got "smooth red" and it's a close enough match to the factory paint. Topcoated inside the doors and other bits and bobs where I had epoxy primered but not top coated. Never had an issue. Did these too actually, they are pretty fucked inside, but just wanted to tidy them up a bit so water blasted them, wax and grease removed then brushed it on, the finish is sweet. Check back in a few years where i'll update if the painted lasted straight on to surface rust.

I got 7 litres of the stuff for $12, ive got 6 different guns ive accumulated over the years including a Kremlin air assisted one so am quite keen to do some steel furniture with that and Hammerite.

• Like 1