PAINT THREAD

dylan

If you want to keep the car go buy 1L of epoxy its the correct tool for the job. Using 2 part filler over single stage primer is a mistake IMO, I have seen it eventually peel off plenty of times as the curing bog fucks up the shitty primers adhesion. If you must use rattle cans then bog on the steel (it will be what the bog data sheet says to do) then primer it, it will stick better this way. You can then do it again in 5 years :)

• Like 3

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure the cheapest epoxy primer will be PPG/Protec 408 Epotec, its about $60 in oz for a 1L "kit" that has paint, hardener and thinner. Get some mixing pots while you are at the paint shop so its easy to mix it up in one container then bin after.

Also its no more deadly than rattle cans, its urethane that has the isocyanates not epoxy.

Just trying to say for the millionth time that just because its 2 part doesn't make it extra deadly its urethane that is deadly in both single part (ie por15) and two part. No one freaks out about 2 part bog, or two part epoxy glues (kneed it etc) they get it everywhere.

Most of the issue with spraying stuff is that your eyes absorb really well

and your lungs put it right in the core of your body

and your armpits and gooch are the softest parts and absorb much more than the rest of your skin

wear clothes

avoid breathing it in

avoid getting it in your eyes

pretty good advice for everything

• Like 4

Setting up for painting at home, how does this plan sound?

Compressor in an external shed, with sound deadening to hopefully quieten things down

Proper-ish explosion proof extraction fan with filters 

Hopefully a few cheap fans around to help blow air around rather than extract fumes

Two separate air lines, one for the oiled Sanders etc and one for the paint gun which isn't oiled.. I think that's correct, but correct me if I'm wrong..

I'm going to go to town with masking drop sheets in the garage, and will wet the floor for extra protection against dust. 

That's pretty hardcone, sounds good

You also want a heap of light - led Battons on the walls

Oil/water separators on the line. Some copper running up and down the wall with a drain tap would be good. I just have a trap at the compressor and a filter one at the gun and drain the tank every day

Planning on doing lots of them?

• Like 1