PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Painted the crown a couple days ago. 

The basecoat went down absolutely perfectly. But when it came to spraying the clear every panel that wasn't horizontal slowly turned to shit. 

Most likly it was technique though I've not had this happen before, who knows. Anyway fairly sizable sags and runs all over it. 

Looking for suggestions on how to cut back the runs properly, there's plenty of info online but it ranges from, just rub it with wet 2000gr and it'll go away to, it's fucked needs a complete respray and if I try rub them out it'll cut into the colour. 

Any input from people with experience? 

On 04/04/2020 at 10:16, BlownCorona said:

Painted the crown a couple days ago. 

The basecoat went down absolutely perfectly. But when it came to spraying the clear every panel that wasn't horizontal slowly turned to shit. 

Most likly it was technique though I've not had this happen before, who knows. Anyway fairly sizable sags and runs all over it. 

Looking for suggestions on how to cut back the runs properly, there's plenty of info online but it ranges from, just rub it with wet 2000gr and it'll go away to, it's fucked needs a complete respray and if I try rub them out it'll cut into the colour. 

Any input from people with experience? 

Pic's?

A bit tricky to photograph. 

Theres more than this, but all are prety much the same size. 

Screenshot_20200406-082923_Gallery.jpg.28a515c72b1b9c2008814ebf0461c157.jpg

Screenshot_20200406-082854_Gallery.jpg.b92ca45e9508b4ee01047c6945a1d49e.jpg

Screenshot_20200406-082839_Gallery.jpg.8686ef75d5aa9f999dd1d47c192e75d1.jpg

Excuse the panel gap! The guard isn't actually bolted on. 

edit - have had a little advice in the discussion thread of the car 

feel free to check that out too

If you end up going the way of the vid's just be VERY careful near the panel edges. If you look closely you'll see a "build up" of paint on them. If you try to flat them to much you WILL rub through. It's not so much a "build up" of paint, more a raised area of panel where the skin is deformed when they fold it over the lip when made. 

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldnt mind cleaning up the underside of my wagon and preserving it with a lick of paint. It's just surface rust.at this stage.

Sandblast then epoxy would be the ultimate, but what else would hold the rest back.

Steam clean then wire wheel, treat, paint?

Resized_20200426_202400_6858.jpeg

Hyngfty.jpg

Resized_20200426_202411_8831.jpeg

Decent wire wheel on the grinder will get rid of all that. Then 2k epoxy primer / underseal I imagine. Mine looks similar to that, but i'm not that motivated to actually sort it due to nowhere to make that much mess.

• Like 1

Just now, rusty360 said:

Only prob is once it blasted there's sand everywhere in the springs, bushes you name it!

What about a soda blast, gets the paint and shit off so you can target the surface rust separately, then prime and underseal. 

I Imagine any blasting would charge 100 an hour? a stripped out shell is easy, more surface area but less prep just roll it in the room and go. To do a good job you would want to mask shit off under the car and do the job on a hoist? I would think you wouldn't get much change from $1000 or more, $1600 seems in the ball park?

You have to weigh how much bullshit you will put up with to save $1000, if you have free time and some determination lay under the car for 2 days and save some coin.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rusty360 said:

@Carsnz123

I hear ya wire wheeling will be zero fun under there. Auto blast was about 1600 for memory

I got a similar quote from them on a stripped car to blast and paint, just the black normal paint not the zinc stuff

someone else I asked reckoned they could do it for $600 but I wanted to see how good they are first, ive seen some really shit work by underbody blast guys on imports

• Like 2

Autoblast from memory are $275+ GST/ hr. I got a text from them last month saying they were doing 15% off their rustproofing system for the month of March, if you go that way might be worth asking if they’ll still honour that.

• Thanks 1