PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My employer has a hot rod that is bare steel, has been for a few years now. 

It lives inside most of the time, he has to rub it down with scotch brite and puts stuff called keyphos on it, he probably does that a couple of times a year.  It sometimes gets surface rust when you touch it from sweat, or if it gets driven in the rain

All the bits that you can't get to are painted so the seams don't rust

lorry.jpg

• Like 8

13 hours ago, dmulally said:

I guess so but you'd be sanding for aaaages afterwards and then buffing 

I was going to leave it, dont mind the brush strokes, cpuld even use a paint roller, the car is rough, I just want to make it last longer

• 1 month later...

Figured this thread suited this best. 

Got given these ramps and axle stands by the neighbor. They were all covered in surface rust and figured I should blast and paint them being the weirdo I am 

IMG_2852.thumb.JPG.b1dd499b5bd0eed210ad0883fa9a8517.JPG

Gave them a spray can primer. Then had to decide on a colour I didn't want a normal blue red or black.

IMG_2863.thumb.JPG.1821e9197df01ba7b1b97c70428de1e8.JPG

so caterpillar yellow/mustard they went.

also gives me an excuse to get some spray gun experience 

And unfortunately can't post any photos of the axle stands due to file size 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

No idea man, I had to google it. Most paint companies have those general use acrylic urethane top coats but not sure what the finish is like. What do you want to do with it? Generally for top coats its just base-coat + 2k urethane clear if you want metallic or a nice looking clear coat finish, or a automotive single stage 2k urethane for plain colours but they can look kinda plasticy and weird on old cars that originally had a lacquer or enamel paint job IMO.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Another topic another dumb question from me.

As some of you may know I need to paint my bike. I've been quoted 2k for a pearl white paint job which seems fair BUT my bike isn't a show bike and it's never going to be a show bike, I just cant justify it.

My question, is it possible to paint pearl colours from spray cans? obviously the ability of the user and the prep would come into play. Has it been done/can it be done?

Non sarcastic answers only please :grin:

Pearl is usually a three layer process, a base solid white, then the mica effect, finally clear on the top.

These will also have a hardener added which starts a chemical reaction when mixed with the paint, so time limited as how long you've got till application.

I was overhearing a conversation in a trade paint shop which also makes up automotive paints, and customer was wanting to do a similar thing.

Think the guy was explaining this special spray can that had the hardener in a separate part of the aerosol and could be mixed in somehow just prior to spraying.

Here's their website, ask them to explain it over the phone.

They can probably have it couriered to you as well.

I don't think you can get a pearl in a single can though, but ask them and helps if you have the paint code.  If not tell them Toyota 070, which is a common Toyota Pearl White.

http://www.wpcpaints.co.nz

1 hour ago, xsinclairx said:

Thanks for the reply @S124AB  

I thought something like that might be the case. I’ll see what they recommend. 

It sounds like pearl paint isn’t something I want to learn to paint with either :mellow:

I had some made for a bike

White base

Then a clear with white pearl mixed in.

In spray cans

It was a bit of a fail tbh. I'd do it again with a paint gun and some cheap pearl.

It came out pretty much like a metallic, and more expensive

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bellicose said:

If you were on the same island I would've done it for a lot less than 2 grand.

Cheers, the place that quoted me does really high end stuff so I think they quote high. There really is a shortage of companies that do jobs like bikes etc. Seems everyone is only interested in insurance jobs.