PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, IvyMike said:

Yeah, I figured it's a marketing exercise but I wrote to them anyway just to see what really qualifies as "protection". I've been rolling the 3M ones for a while now, I don't reckon they give you much protection from 2k. I've only shot it a couple times when I needed to use an epoxy. I was outside and upstream from the spray and I still reckon it got me despite being covered head to toe.

From what I researched up, they for the most part do, but they can't say they do because if a bloke painting for a living uses them and gets cancer they will get sued and it's not worth it.

TLDR

Decent filters will be good protection for a small time user along with glasses, gloves and overalls

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mutiny said:

Hi fellas. Wanting to paint my trailer. Its been painted before but it starting to show surface rust. Whats the best kind of paint to give it a coat of paint for cheap.  Wanting something hearty . Not to concerned about finish 

20181109_064016-1612x1209.jpg

Spooge this on?

https://www.bunnings.co.nz/dy-mark-1l-zinc-gal-metal-protection-paint_p01580763

• 3 months later...
4 minutes ago, Toddy415 said:

Hey Gents, what masks are people using for spraying epoxy primer etc. seems hard to find ones that don't say not for use with isocyanate's. Interested to see what others are using.

You can borrow mine when you need it.  I'll get some new filters for it via a... ..source...

• Like 1

Filters aren't that bad cost wise. Mask would depend on spraying situation. I'd probably grab a 3M full face one if I was starting from scratch. Already have a half mask unit though, so didn't bother. Money well spent on getting the right gear.

/KY has you sorted.

There definitely are cartridges from 3m listed as being suitable for isocyanates. I bought a mask for the wife recently and it had isocyanates listed on the specs sheet (vet nurse, they use bad stuff)

With that said- absolutely go fresh air mask if you can. I used to wear one while metal spraying- had a regulator/filter that sat on the wall and was supplied by shop compressed air.

God damn wonderful thing to use. Infact if it wasnt frowned upon in our office id be wearing one right now.

Theres something so relaxing about having clean cool air forced under slight pressure into your lungs lol.. good on a hot day.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Nominal said:

Maybe @yoeddynz can say something about his new mask?

Now having used it a few times id never  paint 2k without an airfed mask.  It works really well and I feel a lot happier knowing I'm not breathing in anything but clean air. I'd not risk using so called 'iso safe' cartridges etc because don't forget that this shit will get absorbed through your skin too. Aint worth the risk for the sake of $120. 

Another bonus when painting in summer is that your face remains cool and the mask clear from condensation. 

I got over spray on my mask (along with every fucking thing in the shed) and for the light misting of paint meths actually removed it OK. 

Only downside is that you are now feeding a mask with air so you'll have to make sure your compressor can keep up with both that and the spray gun. Our Stanley compressor was fine but was running almost non stop. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bling said:

Whats a proper air fed setup worth all up? Must be the the 000's? Makes a 3M full face kit with a workshop fan seem cheap as chips.

I bought these... 

3m clone. Comes with cartridges for other jobs too. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/building-supplies/safety-gear/protective-gear/listing-1950980698.htm?rsqid=768fbb3df824447d9c31a18af1d7128d

Fed air into with this unit.. 

https://www.trademe.co.nz/building-renovation/painting-wallpaper/paint/other/listing-1950982284.htm?rsqid=768fbb3df824447d9c31a18af1d7128d

Worked a treat. 

• Like 5

you can see the filters in that trademe setup.. far smaller than what i remember the 3m ones being though. I see all these kits seem to have the filters etc on the belt- the one we used to use had the filter/main regulator sitting on the wall and the belt only carried a light weight regulator that varied the already low pressure flow rate.

Definitely would still have compressor somewhere away from the paint fumes.

yes @kyteler i called it the wrong thing.

• Like 1

Yeah I saw the round bits on the trademe setup, just figured the proper fitlering would go elsewhere or as mentioned air compressor needs to be in clear air. I guess you don't need filters at mask with positive air. You'd just want the inlet supply well filtered. Wouldn't want any moisture or oil residue from airlines etc.