PAINT THREAD

dylan

On 7/12/2018 at 20:06, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Anyone heard of/used Meiji guns?

Picked  one up today at the tip recycling shop. Saw 'Japan' and thought it seemed well made, and feels nice in the hand, prob better than the supercheap  ones I'm using now?  Has a 2.0mm tip , suction type with 1 litre cup so may be useful for primer? Really don't know if it's good or garbage but thought for $7 it was worth grabbing...

Searched for info on MC model but seems it's too old to feature on the website. Will see how it looks after a clean and maybe give it a go...

It'll be fine for primer / filler. 2mm tip is big so not suitable for top coats (colour or clear)

• Thanks 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 hours ago, tortron said:

Go to rali on tr rapa straight (resene auto and industrial) they seemed oretty good when i bought some 2k from them legally

Linkup paint supplies has also been very helpful when iv had paint matched

Thanks torton. I'll try them Resene and if no luck, then Linkup :)

On 7/14/2018 at 15:57, Scrubb said:

Thanks torton. I'll try them Resene and if no luck, then Linkup :)

Super cheap does paint matching now too, maybe cheaper to get aerosol can and spray into airbrush gun

18 hours ago, datlow said:

Super cheap does paint matching now too, maybe cheaper to get aerosol can and spray into airbrush gun

Yeah, I was sure they did too, but the only thing they could do for me is make up some paint from different swatches they had, and of course nothing matched :(

I've got a panel beating place painting my front guards and bumper at the moment so I've asked them if they can match some paint for me :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2018 at 19:54, datlow said:

I actually came here to ask about this. Has anyone used the Supercheap Lyndar paint matching thing? Keen to get a couple of spray cans of matched paint for the Mini, but its not your usual paint colour.

4 hours ago, kws said:

I actually came here to ask about this. Has anyone used the Supercheap Lyndar paint matching thing? Keen to get a couple of spray cans of matched paint for the Mini, but its not your usual paint colour.

I commented on the lyndar stuff a week or so ago and my comment got removed.

All I'll say is as a spray painter of 35 years I wouldn't touch the stuff.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So this is the roof of my daily. I bought the car about four years ago and the clear began to peel, slowly deteriorating into this state. Anyone know what could cause this? I know the car has had some crash work done at some point. I'm just wondering what corners were cut in order for this to happen. I'm about to tear into it this weekend but thought I'd ask because I haven't seen paint do this otherwise.

20180906_173107.jpg

Probably bang on the money. The fact they went to such lengths makes me a little uneasy about what may lurk beneath.

On 29/07/2018 at 11:59, kws said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2Jo5Fh2ZiY

I've been watching this guy for a while, have learnt quite a bit from him. He just released this video on using aerosol based paints at home. There's a couple vids on prep preceding it. Might be worth checking out if you're game enough. I think he said the stuff SCA provided him with is Concept NO MIX as opposed to Lyndar but I'd imagine they're similar. I've only used  Lyndar primer and found them to be overly thin at the prescribed mixing ratio.

• 1 month later...

POR15 update

The stuff under my Morrie hasn't stuck. Was wire brushed and rubbed down with thinners 6 and applied 5 years ago. Has only just started coming loose now but doesn't seem to be continuing to rust underneath at least. Brake fluid and oil both seem to have bubbled it.

Stuff in my doors is still good, and the floor and boot that was done 10 years ago seems to still be stuck well.

Perhaps being British the steel is like an oilite bushing 

• 2 weeks later...

Wheels take a beating so if you want it to last a long time you would use 2k urethane. Then it’s easy to keep them in tip top shape, you can wax, clay bar, polish etc real easy. Clear or single stage 2 part is up to you, single stage 2 part urethane looks kinda weird in some colours/applications,base and clear would be the go IMO. 

Its basically choose the paint technology that suits the durability you want. Solvent cured paint if you want it to last fuck all, modern 2 part paint for everything else.

• Like 1

Has anyone come across respirators which claim to protect against isocyanates before, other than air fed systems? I thought they didn't exist until I stumbled across these on Trademe: https://www.colad.co/product/respirator-a2p3/. Bit skeptical, TDS doesn't really give me anymore confidence. I always thought carbon filters weren't up to the task...

Yeah, I figured it's a marketing exercise but I wrote to them anyway just to see what really qualifies as "protection". I've been rolling the 3M ones for a while now, I don't reckon they give you much protection from 2k. I've only shot it a couple times when I needed to use an epoxy. I was outside and upstream from the spray and I still reckon it got me despite being covered head to toe.