PAINT THREAD

dylan

Yeah, that's the main downside I see at the moment, too. All the items I'm painting at the moment are small (<1m2), but I would like to use the area for painting motorbike and go-kart frames, etc in the future. I also want to make it so friends can use the space to paint whatever little projects they have as well. I think maybe the only thing that the shipping container would be too narrow for would be cars, and I can't see myself painting those anyway.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Archetype said:

Yeah, that's the main downside I see at the moment, too. All the items I'm painting at the moment are small (<1m2), but I would like to use the area for painting motorbike and go-kart frames, etc in the future. I also want to make it so friends can use the space to paint whatever little projects they have as well. I think maybe the only thing that the shipping container would be too narrow for would be cars, and I can't see myself painting those anyway.

can you track down a couple of single curtain side containers and butt them together? max greatness if you can score hi-cube one

On 5/11/2018 at 14:55, smokin'joe said:

unsure if covered before, but what process to clear-cote surface rusted steel ?

i have some agri parts that i want to turn into rustic light fittings for my southern recluse.

Penetrol paint oil. In white tins at bunnings. 

This stuff is amazing. Have a google. Its thinner than water so wets out porus surfaces extremely quickly and throughly. You can drip it onto a seam and watch it push its way in and move along into every crevace.

• Like 4

my two cents on paint, first buy resene house paint heaps of colours and great price at 150 for 4Ls
step two - hand brush first coat.
Step three - do final coats with a fine haired roller, this gives it an almost flat finish
boom bobs ya uncle and fanny's your aunt laughing away with your under 300 doaller paint job that looks flash as a rat with a gold tooth

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, tortron said:

Drop sheets and some positive flow fans in ya shed?

Would only recommend fans with sealed motors (known as 'burst proof' motors) 

Have seen the results of non sealed motors and paint fumes. Never ended well.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bellicose said:

Exactly why I said positive pressure.

The fan is outside and blowing in

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bellicose said:

we used to get the replaced pump motors from petrol bowsers, can't get much more safer than those.

13 hours ago, bathcollector said:

Isn't that the old Duco ? That went out in the 70's.

Supposedly. There's still a few big players catering for it though. My local paint shop has a couple of racks dedicated to it. It's dirt cheap as well, $41 per litre. The datasheets claim you only require 2-3 coats but I get the impression that more is preferable.

On 6/19/2018 at 17:34, IvyMike said:

Anyone here had much experience with nitrocellulose lacquer? I've heard the main drawback is durability, is it much worse than 1K?

Wouldn't bother mate, it's mainly used in the furniture and believe it or not the guitar refinishing trade now. There are far better products out there. Yes it is cheap but the quality (read the lack there of) of the finish will long be remembered after the price has gone from your memory.

21 hours ago, bathcollector said:

Isn't that the old Duco ? That went out in the 70's.

Yep, was introduced in the early / mid' 1920's by DuPont.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/06/2018 at 17:34, IvyMike said:

Anyone here had much experience with nitrocellulose lacquer? I've heard the main drawback is durability, is it much worse than 1K?

I attempted to use it once had so many weird reactions happen on my bonnet i was practicing on i gave up and sold the car.... 

Pay up a bit for something a bit more user friendly.

• Like 1

Anyone heard of/used Meiji guns?

Picked  one up today at the tip recycling shop. Saw 'Japan' and thought it seemed well made, and feels nice in the hand, prob better than the supercheap  ones I'm using now?  Has a 2.0mm tip , suction type with 1 litre cup so may be useful for primer? Really don't know if it's good or garbage but thought for $7 it was worth grabbing...

Meiji_30.jpg

Meiji_31.jpg

Meiji_32.jpg

Meiji_34.jpg

Searched for info on MC model but seems it's too old to feature on the website. Will see how it looks after a clean and maybe give it a go...

• Like 1

Seems there's a few people in the know about paint on here. Would anyone be willing to help me get some colour matched paint? I only need a small amount as I just want to use my air brush to touch up a couple interior pieces that got scratched up during recent repairs and maybe paint a couple small pieces.

Autolink told me "too hard" and another panel beater told me "We only deal in 2k paints and it's illegal to sell any to you". What a load of shit as I currently use 2k clear to paint my car models.

I have a plastic trim piece which is coloured plastic (textured, but the underside is smooth) and a painted metal trim piece (textured) to take samples from.

Oh, and I'm in Hamilton.

On 7/12/2018 at 20:06, Lord Gruntfuttock said:

Anyone heard of/used Meiji guns?

Picked  one up today at the tip recycling shop. Saw 'Japan' and thought it seemed well made, and feels nice in the hand, prob better than the supercheap  ones I'm using now?  Has a 2.0mm tip , suction type with 1 litre cup so may be useful for primer? Really don't know if it's good or garbage but thought for $7 it was worth grabbing...

Meiji_30.jpg

Meiji_31.jpg

Meiji_32.jpg

Meiji_34.jpg

Searched for info on MC model but seems it's too old to feature on the website. Will see how it looks after a clean and maybe give it a go...

Yeah, good guns. Used to use them to spray the caskets back in the early 80,s.

• Thanks 1