PAINT THREAD

dylan

Resene vinyl etch and water based enamel works a treat with a fine dacron roller. How do i know? Ive done my trailer in it the poor thing gets abuse and the paint is holding on like shit to a blanket. You will need to experiment with the etch it dries ultra fast as its solvent based.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The data sheet for the resene one says brush for small areas only, I have some solid meterage to cover. I might need to man up and spray it, I do have a big old compressor in the workshop.

I am just a retard with painting...

• 2 weeks later...

Looking to paint my car in a few weeks. Got a few Q's

I am going to do prep myself, strip down, sand back, fix rust, prime.

Is removing all the glass worth it, or is leaving it in and masking off just as effective?

There is a few spots of rust that need to be cut out, is it worth buying a welder and doing it myself or easier and more cost effective to pay someone to weld in new patches after I've cut it out and made up the new patch?

Bare metal or just down a few coats of paint?

Contemplating painting myself, but totally clueless and a little short on time.

Would it pay off getting it done professionally? What price would I be looking at?

Finally any shops to recommend if I do go the professional route? I'm in rodney (warkworth) but don't mind taking it up to Whangarei or down to Auckland.

Cheers.

Looking to paint my car in a few weeks. Got a few Q's

I am going to do prep myself, strip down, sand back, fix rust, prime.

Is removing all the glass worth it, or is leaving it in and masking off just as effective?

There is a few spots of rust that need to be cut out, is it worth buying a welder and doing it myself or easier and more cost effective to pay someone to weld in new patches after I've cut it out and made up the new patch?

Bare metal or just down a few coats of paint?

Contemplating painting myself, but totally clueless and a little short on time.

Would it pay off getting it done professionally? What price would I be looking at?

Finally any shops to recommend if I do go the professional route? I'm in rodney (warkworth) but don't mind taking it up to Whangarei or down to Auckland.

Cheers.

The best advise I ever got was when getting a car painted strip it of everything you can. 2 reasons,

first is nothing looks more shit house than paint that goes over the edge of trim, door handles, rubbers..... where it has been masked,

the second is you save a fortune in not paying someone to mask around all the bits.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just after abit of advice here. I am currently repainting my AE85, iIve started by stripping all the paint off and addressing the rust issues. I have 4 Litres of Durepox 2k primer that im going to be using. From the research that ive done it seems that people recommend using the 2k primer over weld through primer, is this the case?

There a few places like the internal windscreen channel that I have now exposed to fix some rust is it ok to just use the primer in there or will I also need to topcoat it to get better protection?

Also regarding spray guns does it really matter the quality of the one your using if youre just laying down primer? Im trying to decide if I grab a $50 supercheap special or buy a Devilbliss kit from the states.

Im hoping Spencer sees this as he seems to be like a wise old man regarding paint

I started fixing my tailgate last year (it fell off the hinges when freshly painted) started the job and forgot my friend borrowed both my primer and my top coat gun and messed them up so they needed rebuilds (no parts on hand)

So bought a $50 bunnings 1.4mm gravity gun, painted primer with it just thinned the epoxy more than the data sheet says and did a extra coat or two. block sand the primer smooth anyway. Then base went on pretty good with lots of practice, its thin anyway so easier to spray. Clear is harder with a cheap gun, lots of test pieces to get the smoothest possible result, still orange peely after 4-5 coats it builds up the peel effect. Still can block it smooth and no one knows. Its nice to not have to block as much, but who cares.

Not sure what the point is, guess you can use a cheap gun from primer through top coat and get good enough results. But there's lots of details along the way that you will have to pick up to get it all working smoothly and not be stressing or blaming or worrying about the gun.

Oh and 2 part epoxy primer over weld through in a can all day, just test them both and the results are easy to see. Epoxy gets even better at taking the heat with welding when well cured, so you have to wait a few days after prepping parts for welding for best results.

Its no problem to mix up some epoxy primer in a pot and paint with a brush (for small rust repairs or larger panels to be welded in etc), it will just waste quite a bit of paint. Many times its better than setting up the gun and getting a mask though. Like weld in a panel, dress it flat then want to fuck off, just mix some up in a pot and its sealed forever until you want to bog and block.

Thanks for the replies guys. I just have one more question for the interior I'm stripping out the sound deadnening, cleaning any shit of the paint, giving it a quick scratch down then spraying it in the 2k durepox epoxy, would I need to apply a top 2k coat to this or would the primer provide enough protection?

It will be fine, although best results are wet coat it with a top coat 2K urethane, I like a cheap industrial black for all this kind of work (under car, inside, engine bay etc). Can lay down 2 coats of epoxy, then 2 coats wet of top coat and that shit will last forever if you prepped it well.