PAINT THREAD

dylan

The boys in the workshop had a clean out of unused gear and amongst I found this old gun, being similar to the one I used to paint the Niva I grabbed it, although it looks like it was never cleaned I managed with a bit of soaking to free the internals and all looks happiness, just now I'm wondering about cleaning up the outside, would paint stripper be ok? or should I soak it in more thinner? looks like it will need a good scrub but I don't want to scratch up the finish if it came to scraping, whats the usual go to clean up mistreated guns?

1e1nxnc2.fzy.jpg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The boys in the workshop had a clean out of unused gear and amongst I found this old gun, being similar to the one I used to paint the Niva I grabbed it, although it looks like it was never cleaned I managed with a bit of soaking to free the internals and all looks happiness, just now I'm wondering about cleaning up the outside, would paint stripper be ok? or should I soak it in more thinner? looks like it will need a good scrub but I don't want to scratch up the finish if it came to scraping, whats the usual go to clean up mistreated guns?

1e1nxnc2.fzy.jpg

I've used paint stripper before on old paint spray guns and they came up mint
  • Like 1

1e1nxnc2.fzy.jpg

I've used paint stripper before on old paint spray guns and they came up mint
  • Like 1

Paint stripper is fine.

Don't soak the 'head' in thinners as it WILL f**k what ever seals are still in it.

Personally wouldn't use it but would have it for novelty value.

I'm hoping that it will still be better than most knock off guns from supercheap/repco and suitable for my weekend warrior status, I used its big brother of similar vintage to paint my car and while the finish may not be show worthy is still better than rattle cans/ no gun

I just need a compressor!

• Like 1

I'm hoping that it will still be better than most knock off guns from supercheap/repco and suitable for my weekend warrior status, I used its big brother of similar vintage to paint my car and while the finish may not be show worthy is still better than rattle cans/ no gun

I just need a compressor!

For the time and effort it'll take to get paint outa that in a kinda ok fashion go to a paint & panel supply place and buy ya self a new one.

For $140 you can get a decent gun with 2 tip set-ups (Needle and fluid tip), comes with a (semi ok pressure gauge) and all in a nice carry case.

AND yes they do work well.

ylrqeydo.wb4.jpg

• Like 3

Hey guys,

Anyone used Dupont paints before and can advise if what I'm about to order is the best product of theirs to use. Everytime I go into store to pick brains they are way to busy.

List to purchase goes as follows: (need to paint rx2 inside, outside & under)

2k Epoxy primer to spray the bare car with (already acquired)

2k 3.5l High Prod Surfacer 1057R

1k 5l Centari 600 Basecoat (metalic colour)

2k 5lt 120SX Standard clear

Questions:

1. Can I use a hi build primer as my main primer or do I need a finishing primer also?

2. Centari seems like the normal paint they use for base... is there a better one?

3. PPG do differant types of clear, should I be going for this standard clear or is there a better one to use?

Any helps/comments welcomed. Dupont is the supplier I need to use over PPG so just need to know Im getting the right stuff.

Gaz

What have you used in the past? just use that? you can paint almost anything over that epoxy you have.

I'll guess

1. You can paint over that high build no prob. Most poeple use a surfacer to change colour to suit the base, some people use a epoxy surfacer as a "sealer". Just bang it on the high-build, that shit wont shrink etc and is generally the shit. You won't get a straight answer here from a shop or salesman.

2. Who really cares if there is a better base coat, it will be great. The base just looks pretty, as long as it sticks its good. (kinda)

3.Standard clear will be fine, most systems have several clears for different types of jobs usually made for production style body shops (high volume panel beaters are their main audience after OEM's)

Read the datasheets dog.

Hoye guys I need some help, the rally car had some weird wicking marks from where there was overspray on the primer that got sprayed over, painter said to wet sand with 2000 grit sand paper and then cut and polish. I tired using sparkles da polisher and a upol cut, was doing nothing, painter mate said da polishers are rubbish and so is that upol cut so I got a hard cut and bodgied up a rotary polisher. Desired effect achieved, sanding marks all gone and left with a flat dull smooth panel. My problem starts here, how do o get this shiny again? Have tried using a cut/polish cutting compound that supposedly doesn't need polishing etc. but yea no luck, how do I get this shit shiny? Can be seen here, too part of panel is cut, bottom part isn't.

903001AB-B807-4605-8D87-B8690E311907.jpg

Hoye guys I need some help, the rally car had some weird wicking marks from where there was overspray on the primer that got sprayed over, painter said to wet sand with 2000 grit sand paper and then cut and polish. I tired using sparkles da polisher and a upol cut, was doing nothing, painter mate said da polishers are rubbish and so is that upol cut so I got a hard cut and bodgied up a rotary polisher. Desired effect achieved, sanding marks all gone and left with a flat dull smooth panel. My problem starts here, how do o get this shiny again? Have tried using a cut/polish cutting compound that supposedly doesn't need polishing etc. but yea no luck, how do I get this shit shiny? Can be seen here, too part of panel is cut, bottom part isn't.

903001AB-B807-4605-8D87-B8690E311907.jpg

• 3 weeks later...