PAINT THREAD

dylan

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Right lads in the know.

Henkel Emer-Tan..... I have all the Rx2 panels stirpped to bare and now sitting covered in this product. Im ready in the next few weeks to epoxy prime. Have read data sheet but not clear on if I completely remove it or not. I was thinking rubbing panels down with prepsol as normal prior to paint but perhaps not with this stuff?

Anyone got exp?

Gaz

Right lads in the know.

Henkel Emer-Tan..... I have all the Rx2 panels stirpped to bare and now sitting covered in this product. Im ready in the next few weeks to epoxy prime. Have read data sheet but not clear on if I completely remove it or not. I was thinking rubbing panels down with prepsol as normal prior to paint but perhaps not with this stuff?

Anyone got exp?

Gaz

ive got no exp with that stuff but just wondering where did u get it from? im looking for some appears to good shit but apparently you can only get in 20L but idk

Its what the guys put on after the panels were acid stripped. They ask if your going to immediately coat or if it going to sit for a few weeks/months prior to painting. If not coating straight away or if it may be subject to moisture then they put this stuff over it.

Gaz 

ive got no exp with that stuff but just wondering where did u get it from? im looking for some appears to good shit but apparently you can only get in 20L but idk

You'll be fine man, the differences between brands/types are subtle. Some sand better, some lay down smoother (well easier to get smooth). If there are differences in adhesion etc you won't ever notice once you have 10 other coats of shit on there, it will stick well if its a actual brand.

The only bad side to phosphoric acid is that you don;t want it trapped in seams, where it can reactivate and cause rust when water gets in. Otherwise don;t be scared to wash it with fuck loads of water (if its a exterior panel) don't let the product dry on the panel (keep applying if needed). The rust will vanish, just rub it  down like crazy with scotch brite(with wax and grease as lube) after, you want the panel to be clean white steel before paint. Its a great method, no real draw backs, don;t use it on hardened steel.

Where you say wax and grease, what type? Bees wax and bearing grease, or surf wax and lard?

Phosporic acid shouldnt be hard to come by either. Pretty sure tergo do a rust converter and up here mitre 10 and bunnings sell it. Just need to read the labels to find out which ones use what active ingred. Most are phosphoric.

I have steered clear of the ones that say they convert it to a 'primer' though and just used the acids.

Sorry what I meant man was use wax and grease remover (a mild solvent, buy lots if you are painting a bit) if you get a little container of it and dip a green scotch brite in it and polish the panel it will really make the metal glow shiny and white before paint. After you use phosphoric acid you usually get left with a pickled surface, bit of white acid and some black converted rust. I find its best for adhesion if you really polish it up after, you may have to use the converter again if you find you there is still rust around after you clean it up, that's normal.

Most instructions say to paint over the pickled acid, I don't agree, it's yuck. It only works if you apply it perfect and you get a nice even dull grey steel from the acid (slow acting ones like vinager and critic do this better) best to convert then sand it back.

If you rinse and repeat that method you can deal to some pretty heavy corrosion on chassis and things (you can wire wheel first). Just takes lots of acid and elbow grease. For remove able panels with no real seams you can immerse them in diluted acid for excellent results. Great for bolts and shit, just not hardened ones or spring steel, they will fuck out.