PAINT THREAD

dylan

For those still wondering about guns, I have a couple a Devilbiss GTi Pri-Pro (great for priming obviously as 1.8 setup) a GTi Pro Clear (1.4) which is sweet for 2K or clear coats and a couple of w400 Iwatas that I use for all basecoats -by far the best of the above for laying down metallics/pearls and clear coats where tighter areas could easily lead to runs if you aren't careful. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting ready to paint my motorbike frame (have compressor and guns etc). Paint shop guy recommended lacquer, got home and found that I have etch primer and acrylic primer. Are these suitable to go under lacquer top coat?

If you are going to bare metal a floor (stacks of work unless its getting blasted) then putting cheap/shit paint on it is the last thing you want to do. Go to a automotive shop and get 4L of 2 part epoxy primer and use that as per the instruction sheet on any baremetal. I think most people on here use resene becuae its cheap? I cannot comment on that brand, but get automotive stuff from a paint store. Fuck all of that single part shit you can get from repco/supercheap/bunnings etc. Only use that shit for making things one colour that you CBF putting effort into.

Once you have it in epoxy your top coat choices are endless, I would use a hard industrial spec 2K urethane on my floor (but this shit is nasty to spray at home) or any kind of underseal etc. Depending on the brand most epoxy primer can be wet coated so you don;t have to sand in-between coats. Just bang the epoxy down in 2-3 coats, let it flash and bang on the top coat wet. All my floors and engine bay are done this way and it saves hours of work.

For pricing I pay about $120 for 4L of epoxy primer, but it mixes to make like 6L of product. 2K industrial black costs about the same and makes 6L also. So for like $240 of product you get paint that is around 8 million times better than the aforementioned ones.

Obviously ignore all this advice if you aren't game to spray 2k paint at home, but just get a good mask and its fine. I'm an constantly dissapointed if I cheap out and go with with lacquer and (most) single pack products they just wear real shit and don't stand up to chemicals as well.

• Like 1

Yup do that, I use protec and it is the perfect cheaper brand (but still good shit) for home DIY painting. Make that guy your friend so you can score some free mixing cups/filters/etc, mine gives me a trade price if I pay cash (think he chucks it through his own account).

Hey Steeb write a FAQ for me as I have typed that out 5 times.

• Like 1

Yea by trade I mean he puts it through his staff account, which makes shit mean cheaps. Hence the cash so there is no eftpos record of it, I have often thought he probably gets a epic discount and skims some of the cash off the top haha.

• Like 1

Yea some paint guys fuck you over if you walk in off the street, end up charged RRP for no reason other than the guy behind the counter is a dick face. Find a protec place, even full price is reasonable. I should ask my guy for a price list so we all have a baseline fo what the common shit costs.

New guns turned up yesterday, the mini one is awesome, i put it in the same category as ratchet ring spanners and auto darkening welding helmet. These are tools I was gutted about not buying sooner as they are so satisfying to own/use.

Thanks for the advice on gun selection.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...