PAINT THREAD

dylan

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So the Hammerite is going on sweet, 1st coat done and will look fairly good once second coat is complete. Dont really matter so much what it looks like anywho since i've gotta get the FIA padding for most of the cage so wont be visible much.

re the floor coating, what I'm trying to remove is not the factory paint, its a 1-2mm sticky black sheet stuff that I've been chipping away at with a flat head I assume this is the factory sound deadening (its not continuous across the floor pan, it stops and starts)

Some of this is brittle and just chips away but some is fairly friendly with the floor, is there a better quicker way to remove or am I consigned to many weekends of this horrible torture?

Go to BOC and buy some dry ice. It comes in pellets, take a chillibin for storage/transport. Then in a space with good airflow, put it into plastic bags and sit it on top of the sound deadening. It will pop the stuff off the floor and all you have to do is move the bags when areas are done. Makes the job 1,000 times easier. I've found it works great on the stuff inside the car. Not so much on the outside deadening/underseal.

had a mate (who just done a painting course) said that painting a car matty B is illegal without a booth due to the fact that its harmfull to the atmosphere or some shit, first time ive heard about this, (and harm to the atmosphere is my thing, FRIDGIES FTW!) is this true? will it pose any issues when i come to buy the paint over the counter or do i need a professional hookup,

chuuur

Well painting 2 part paints that contain isocyanates at home is illegal in a residential area I am pretty sure.  You can spray acrylic lacquer paint at home no worries.

Basically all of us who do full paint jobs at home will use 2k paints at home, you have to be considerate of your neighbours and wear proper safety equipment and you should be fine. There is no restrictions selling the paint over the counter anyone can get it.

so i gave the cortina another coat of paint and came up mint so now on with  the clear coat what grade wet n dry shall i rub it down with ?

if you are using base coat you only need to let it dry for 10 mins before clear-coating without sanding. if you are using some sort of top coat you need to make sure its fully cured before sanding and clear-coating to reduce the risk of a reaction

if you have used basecoat and let it dry then 1000 grit for any imperfections and a grey scotchbrite for the rest, id advise one more coat of base over it to hide any transparency caused by the sanding

Hey guys.

Guessing this is the best place to ask a few carpaint related questions.

I recently spent 3k getting a car fully resprayed, and (to my ignorance bought it through grab one) ws told it will be a 5.5k paint job.

Since i got it back i have found that there are 6 runs, you can see through 80% of the car sanding marks, there is orange peel, the paint is flaking, lots of spots have been missed, including one whole jam.... paint is bubbling on the boot... new dents appered on my bonnet.... i diddnt expect a mirror finish in no way, but i wasnt expecting it to be worse than when i took it in.

I have taken it back to remedy it, but they have only fixed one part each time, (taken it back 3 times, will be going back on the 4th). The last time i went back, they gave me a pot of paint and told me if i found something to fix it my self. but i found even more wrong, called up and he finaly said i could take it in for him to 'look at'.

Do i have rights as a consumer for a shit job? i have all my recepts for it, and was told it was a full panel and paint including primer, but the paint is peeling to no primer.

Any sugestions?

Thanks everyone!

(also if this is the wrong thread let me know and il post this somewhere else :D)

Dude that sucks, it really does. But I have to say that panel beating is a shit job and 3k doesn't buy you many hours after you take materials out of it, for example I have spent about 40 hours painting my lotus for what I consider a super rough job.

I'm not excusing these guys who have obviously ripped you off, just trying to get people to appreciate the other side of the equation.