PAINT THREAD

dylan

i used to work as super cheap and would never sell anyone that aussie export shit, its absolutly horrendous, never consistant spraying finish, the only consistant thing about that paint is that it will never come out right.

on the other hand, the other cheap super cheap (SCA) branded paint they sell for like 10 bucks is actually pretty nice. 

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol! the septone iv use in boots and floor pans etc the 1k satin black 4L tin. 2k enamel is not bad. painted a drift hack in it I while back still pretty glossy. still takes a while to harden. they used 2k enamel etc in the 70s on nz new cars before 2pac never come out. think theres a 2k enamel clear but not sure? iv painted engines in 2pac soild colours and it works fine, never tried enamel engine paint before.

lol or caravans ! 2k or if you want to call it 2pac all use hardeners, its a two part system( colour or clear plus hardener) 1k or lacquer if you want to call it is a one part, so no hardener. basically air dry. both 2k and 1k use there own thinners. enamel is different type of paint witch comes in 2k or 1k. but like  bubblegoose 1k (lacquer), enamel are not the best.

hope that sounds right haha!

hey ya'll

been a while/forever, but Santa has come early with a brand spanking roll cage installed to my almost race car and i have to paint it over the holiday break.

Have chosen to brush on por15 and have some commercial cleaner/degreaser for cleaning down cage first.

What prep work do I need to do after cleaning it all? Any tips/hints appreciated also.

Hammerite is pretty good. I brushed a bike frame with it and it came up mint. POR15 will need a topcoat in that situation, so seems like a lot of extra work for no gain. As mentioned too, unless it's rusty, it's not going to be suited. I have both products in the cupboard, but each are suited to different situations. POR15 will cost twice as much at least, then still need a top coat lol.

If you MUST use POR15, buy the POR15 cleaner and metal prep. Using other products before it, then painting it on something not rusty and likely smooth will not likely give very good results. Wear a mask with proper filters too, it's harmful as fuck stuff.

tl;dr, what Spencer said.

aye, so por15 is what's in the shed and have por15 degreaser too so was just gonna use that but this why im asking because painting shit ain't my forte.

So hammerite seems pretty straight forward (after quick google session) and needs little to no prep which suits me.

Another item on the list is to remove the factory interior floor pan coating, is there a specific product that I should be looking for to re-coat this?

Thanks again for the advice

hey ya'll

been a while/forever, but Santa has come early with a brand spanking roll cage installed to my almost race car and i have to paint it over the holiday break.

Have chosen to brush on por15 and have some commercial cleaner/degreaser for cleaning down cage first.

What prep work do I need to do after cleaning it all? Any tips/hints appreciated also.

Dont use por 15 where the sun can get to it, it doesnt like UV and have seen it turn to a shit powder unless you paint over it.

when i painted my roll cage the old mans mate gave me this sticky as stuff that was like lime green / yellow / transparent cant remember what it was called to put on the bare metal first. being impatient painted it on when i was cold and it took around 2 weeks to go off lol. any way it was hard as rock and impossible to sand back lol then waked on a 2k white over top of it. this was about 5 years ago and not one spot of rust has shown up anywhere somebody might know what its called but i recommend it!