NewGuy's 1975 Triumph Dolomite

NewGuy

Discussion: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/19991-new-guys-dolomite/?hl=dolomite

Hey, everyone

This is my Triumph Dolomite Sprint.

Engine: 45 Degree Slant Four, 2Litre,16 Valve Sohc, Twin SU Carbs

It is pretty easy to light up the rear wheels. LOl

Gets to 100 in about 8.5secs, and ive had it top out at 160kph.

It used to be my old mans, but it crapt out and he left it and didnt realli bother with is as, lights blew, brakes were failing and he had just finished doing a full restore of another sprint.

So i took it off his hands, The paint was pealing off everywhere, bog getting to about 10 years old and falling out. I started this project in my 6th form year, i finished 7th form end of last year.

I stripped the whole car all over, just after skool, and on holidays spent most of my time on the bonet,rear panels, ahhhh most of the car getting it mint for just under a year, Finally got it to a point where it was ready for paint.

I work right next door to a panel and paint shop and he checked over the car, told me a few more points to clear up, sand and clean around and right up against the rubbers etc around the windows, so the paint sticks xtra good. Car was sprayed in a creme, with a pearl Light yellow, has a pretty good gloss. 2 coats of sealer, and 5 coats of 2 pot.

Just got the number plate a couple of months ago, EATLED for my 18th.

And yup that is about it, ahhh plus i spent about 3 days polishing and buffing up the rims the alloy, still have to be painted, new brake pads, new big battery, new lights and ground and power cables.

Well i though i better not be so god damn lazy! Just picked up a few of the pics i took while i got the car ready for paint, about a year before we stripped the whole engine down and did, water pump, petrol pump, timing chains, new gaskets and cleaned it al up and put her back together trying to source those pics.

I Failed my warrent that i sat yesterday, Front top ball joints, lower shock mount rubbers, and a torn steering boot, pretty minor things i thought.

Found a guy in my area that has alot of parts so i am going to see him tomorrow and hopefully be able to get all the parts then ill take the car to bits to put the parts in during the week will take alot of pics.

Anyway a few pics of what the car was like when i first started it, and just a few random shots.

Triumph001.jpg

Triumph006.jpg

Triumph010.jpg

Triumph004.jpg

CarOnThe4-1.jpg

IMG_1733.jpg

CarOnThe4.jpg

CarOffToTown002.jpg

LawnPhotoShoot020.jpg

ChromeOntheFront002.jpg

ChromeOntheFront004.jpg

ChromeOntheFront007.jpg

RainOn014.jpg

Lower002.jpg

ShedPhotoShoot002.jpg

BlackAndWhitesAtNight012.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as in the discussion Forum:

I Final got myself together, as i have been off the project for awhile, Get Some insurance, And go fail a Wof and do what is needed to get a WOF.

Failed first time on:

Front Shock Lower rubber mounts worn

Both upper balljoints

And a Torn Steering Boot

Got new Spax Adjustable Shocks and 1inch lowering Springs

2nd hand Ball joints

And a universal Steering boot

Had this all done within 5days of failing, went back for a resit and passed.

First Drive to town to get rego ect, car leaked oil outside my work, didnt notice till today, this was on Thursday last week. Then on the Second drive to town i noticed a smell of sumthin burning oil burning on the exghaust , as oil was coming out around the sprak plug tubes, seals are just hopefully crap and this can be fixed, got some orings today, and i will get the work done this weekend.

but i have a bad feeling oil could be leaking around the Head, as the oil from the first ride to town and muck around must not have been coming out of these spark plug tubes as it was not burning on the exghaust. It could have been but maybe just dribbling and not having alot of force behind it, and the seals have just screwed out the, (car has been out of use for 10years) Any sugestions? But as i know you can only fix one leak at a time.

Ill do the oring thing this weekend as previous owner has just used silicone. Hopefuly this fixes this leak, then i will do a full oil change, and change of oil filter. And most likly drain and flush the radiator.

So a few bad things maybe not so big have come up but hopefully repairable.

So yea more pics of the car, few outer, warrent sticker, adjusties, interior......... Enjoy will update this Weekend

Untitled-1copy.jpg

Warrent002.jpg

Warrent006.jpg

Warrent005.jpg

Warrent001.jpg

Warrent004.jpg

Warrent005.jpg

Warrent007.jpg

Warrent003.jpg

Warrent011.jpg

Warrent010.jpg

Warrent009.jpg

Warrent008.jpg

Warrent007.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well..........

im kind of pissed of but i situation which can not be helped.

Total lose of compression in the 1st cylinder, most likly to be rings or a hole in the piston! or something serious any how.

Will have the engine out by the end of this weekend i hope.

Got a full engine gasket kit, new carbs see pic, and manifold.

So yea pretty excited.

Will take pictures of the whole dengine etc.

Carbs.jpg

I have also got the rear suspension to go in ect, new nothlane bushes all around, hope i get some support from you guys, this is my first go at really tackling a job like this on my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Today i pulled the engine and gear box out with my oldman.

Took us about 4 hours or so, pulled the head off, gaskets been leaking water into the cylinders 4 and 1 i thinks.

Took the piston that had lost compression out, and between the rings there is aliminium which has broken up etc, this is where the air must be escaping the cylinder, and into the rest of the motor making it blow most of its oil out.

Going to find out if we can get it welded up etc, but if not we will be putting in one of 3 motors of my dads that have just found out we had, that are fully recond put in. So im not that unhappy, ill have a pretty sound car engine wise then hopefully.

The reason we took the engine out was that, when i went for the 2nd try for the warrent i let the car warm up for about 15mins as i washed it.

Was idling fine, so im on the way to the garage to get my warrent its about 1km away from me, and there was this not so nice sounding clunking noise.

I stoped and pulled over, the car stalled, i thought it could have been the gear box or sumthing, so i jumped out had a quick look and thought wtf.

Got back in and it was hard to start, i got it going and went to the warrent place and got the warrent, then on the way back to my work i got to a roundabout and had to stop, the car stalled on me.

when i got to work it stalled again, we thought the idle screws must have just moved or similar, so we speed up the idle and the car seemed fine.

But the loose in the idle speed was because of the lose of compression, in one of the cylinders as i found out 2 weekends ago.

So yea i am happy in a way that i might get a new engine, and it will have alot more power, as the car since ive had it on the road has onli been running on 3 and a half cylinders.

We are going to leave it a auto for now as getting a clutch for etc new foot pedals, are not worth it in my eyes, as to much work involved and im lazy, plsu i want it on the road asap, after getting a wof, reg and insurance does not come cheap as we all know, so a bit of a bugger in those ways but good in others, well be ready for the Summer!!!!

Pics hopefully Tmz!

• 5 weeks later...

Sorry guys, i been pretty lazy.

Got the engine and box out a few weeks back, finally had a free weekend last weekend just been. Got all the bits off the old block, oil pump, fuel pump, water pump, flywheel etc gearbox, torque converter.

Anyway, got my new block home on the friday just been, gave it a flick of paint, ground out the bearing in the big end, as i am not fitting a clutch it needed to go, and havent got much else done.

Maybe work on it tmz???//

anyway i took some pics tonight.

TriumphEngineShit001.jpg

TriumphEngineShit005.jpg

TriumphEngineShit004.jpg

TriumphEngineShit002.jpg

TriumphEngineShit003.jpg

TriumphEngineShit006.jpg

TriumphEngineShit009.jpg

TriumphEngineShit008.jpg

TriumphEngineShit007.jpg

TriumphEngineShit010.jpg

TriumphEngineShit011.jpg

TriumphEngineShit013.jpg

TriumphEngineShit012.jpg

TriumphEngineShit014.jpg

TriumphEngineShit015.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Been a while since ive done anywork on the engine!

Today i got stuck in.

Got the following Mounted back on the block:

Fitted Oil Sump

Fuel Pump

Oil Pump

Oil Pressure Sensor

Head

Set up the timing

And timing chain

Timing chain cover

Fan mount

Alternator

Torque converter

Gearbox

Starter Motor

So i got quite alot done, Could not fit the Water Pump as i did not have a Oring, will get one tomorrow.

Also cleaned up the engine bay.

When i took the fuel pumps filter out to check how clean it was it was completly full of shit, like no way for gas to easily FLOW. So i cleaned that up and then i though hmm i better check the fuel filter that i fitted when i got the car on the road it was completly full, just from rust in the tank as it hadnt had gas in it for 10 years.

So yea, new spark plugs, Fan belt, orings, Oil, Trans Oil, oil Filter, colant, and she'll be ready to be put back in.

Pics of this weekends effort Tmz!

• 1 month later...

Finally after like 5 nights after work and 2 good days during the weekend,

checking everything over and over again for why it would not start and a hour today i finally got the bitch going.

OMG im so happy! hopefully will get some use over the summer etc.

Got a few problems, somethings wrong with the cooling system, and a small oil leak around the fuel pump.

Why it wouldn't start, i thought id try fix the fuel pump oil leak,

as it would leak after turning it over a few times.

Before i removed this i checked the float on the other carb for fuel.

There was not alot of fuel sitting in the bowl.

I left it off, and continued to removed the fuel pump.

Finally got it off and i pumped it and it moved alot of fuel.

I was like hmm ok there should be more fuel in the floats if its pumping like that.

So i refitted it and turned the car over a few more times still

no fuel went into the bowls. So yet again i took the pump off.

Then i noticed that the pump had been hitting against the

block and this was alowing a gap for oil to escape and not

letting the pump get a long enough stroke to work properly.

So i filed a bit off the bottom of the pump and refitted it.

I had also remade a new set of HT leads and that is all.

Turned the key and she fired up straight away OMg what a relief!

There was fuel but just not enough, that would explain why

it would run fully choked but onli on like 1 clinder with the

starter motor. Anyhow its going again.

Also just before i did the fuel pump and HT leads i finally got a compression tester that would reach down into the engine,

and 1,2,4 were about 150Psi and then the 3rd cylinder was 100psi,

this changed after a short run and they are all up to 170psi.

Seemed a bit werid after all its all pretty spanking new!

Except for the few problems that arose after a bit of a drive i am pretty happy it is going again!

Carbs need to be balanced etc,

and the timing needs to be done proerly ive only done it static,

man am i happy! It made no sense why it wasn't going

• 10 months later...

Well a very long time and no post.

Cars been off the road for a while now, the head was leaking oil and water.

Crapped out during summer last year, i decided not to use it so i did not fuck it. Finally took the head off last weekend, and took it to Doctor repowers here in Taurnanga, they had a look over it for cracks, etc but then found it needed a skim, they previous skim was no good and the head was all up the fuck.

Spent saturday putting the head cams, valves etc back on, got it all back together, just got to connect the exghaust and renew the carbs fuel hoses they broke while i had the carbs and the manifold hanging in the engine bay.

So i will get into it tomorrow night and hopefully get it going, run it and re torque the head. Then hope for the best.

Wish me luck

Just Got the new inhibitor switch today so i fitted that.

Tested it before i fitted it of course and i have now found out that the cabling may also be at fault. I wrecked my old one when un clipping the cables off it breaking a terminal.

The problem may have just been the cabling before i wrecked the switch itself.

So yea gunna make up a new loom for all that shit next week.

Ahwell.

Few pics:

September2007618.jpg

September2007615.jpg

September2007624.jpg

Changed all the vacuum hoses tonight, and i got a batch of gas from mobile seems like way better gas.

Took it for a spin on the open road and gave her a bit of gas, toped out somewea, but i have no lights on my spedo, seems to be staying cool and to throwing the water out which is great!

Alrighty, Shit little Update

Tryna sort my Petrol tank situation for my next wof although i may go back tot he plastic tank situation once i have a wof again ahaha.

My tanks Gauge does not work, also why i am looking into a new tank FTW

Got some Tank Repair Shit From a Race shop.

Any How few of pics:

Prep

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/ ... 007891.jpg

Done

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/ ... 007893.jpg

Current Tank

September2007895.jpg

Also a place i must respray before i go for a wof

September2007901.jpg

Left the tank seal to set over night and all day today, got some gas on the way home from work put it in the tank went for a run and came back fucking leaking still.

Took the tank out tonight and put a old vacum on it sucking the fumes out etc. Gunna leave it on there for a few hours till i hit the sack and then im taking it to a engineer or similar tomorrow to see what they can do for me.

Might take the gauge out and see if i can fix it other wise ill just use the No gauge again.

Hopefully i can get it cut out and re welded. What do you guys think?

Well here is the new welded plate. Will primer and paint tonight also may drill the 1.5Inch hole i got to drill.

September2007396.jpg

September2007397.jpg

Old Sender

September2007398.jpg

September2007399.jpg

September2007400.jpg

New Sender Mmmm Shiny

September2007401.jpg

September2007402.jpg

New Gauge Looks Pretty much standard.

September2007403.jpg

September2007406.jpg

Cheers To Hell I got to pick this sender and gauge for $35 Form Repco

Well small Update.

Filled the diff up with oil, will now do regular checks on it just to be safe it was basically empty. Greased all my ball joints, Steering Drive shaft etc, every little nipple i could find under there.

Cleaned under the front guards and gave them a coat of Matty Black.

Also soften up the suspension but after going for a drive it feels a bit werid and less stable etc, gunna tighten those bad bois back up a bit.

Also blew a fuse for some odd reason so i replaced that was the one for my indicators rev counter and the Fuel Gauge.

I also Oiled brake connections joins for the hand brake etc.

I Also cleaned up around the gearbox to see if i can find where it is dropping oil from.

Cleaned all the dirt road grime etc off it and put it in the shed while im away.