Toyota Corona RT84

enigma

Hey would like to know if anyone out ther knows anything about a toyota corona rt84 1700cc. All i really know about it is that the engine is called a 6R. Wanting to do an engine conversion on it and wanted to know if anything has been attempted on 1 in the past. cheers enigma.

Any other R Series engine should bolt in

some really good engines in that series. they were used in later Corona's and Celica's aswell as Hiliuxs

You should be able to bolt in a 22R-E fairly easy (it might be in FWD config, depends on the car)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_R_engine this should help

my suggestion is a 18R-GEU should be able to find one in an old RA45 Celica or Carina.

Should be able to find a turbo one aswell. Look in early 90's Petrol hilux's and surfs.

Yeah man BLOODY WICKED cars! My first car was a RT84 Nana Spec! Had the 6R changed to the 16R.

I've never seen a Turbo R series in a Hilux or Surf :shock: Or ANYTHING for that matter. Are they REALLY rare?

Well im not sure if we got them or not. it could be US market only..

I dont know what other petrol engine they would have

Your the mechanic glen! you must see a few surfs/hiluxs.

I would recommend you use the early 18R-G engine. It is a 2.0L Twincam, twin side draft caburated engine. Very good performance (for an old 8 valve engine) and very reliable.

This would save the hassle of using fuel injection where you would have to:

* upgrade your entire fuel system - quite costly

* run a large efi loom and a computer - quite confusing (and gay)

Also the early model 18R-G engines made more horse power than the later model 18R-GU and 18R-GEU engines, its only the last model efi engine had a higher compression and larger valves which produced a higher output than the first to my knowledge.

These were available in early 80's rwd cars and should be relatively easy to find, and bolt in without too much hassle.

Oo and as far as Turbo ones, I've never seen one myself, they are single cam and only make 100 or so kw.. you'd be better off to go for a twincam one and Turbo it eventually if you find the need. I was just looking at a finnish site where they were running 1000hp out of one!

• 3 weeks later...
18R-Gs were in ra28 celicas ya?

yeah.

I know your a diesel mech glen. still :P

18RG's were GT only, otherwise 18R single cam's were in RA23's and RA28's. i wouldn't rave over them though, but it is a pretty cheap and easy to do conversion.

cheers

Matt

• 2 weeks later...

18rg would be a relatively easy conversion in your case tho they pretty heavy and usually need a freshen up if it hasnt already... they 23+ years old now

probly easier finding an injected 18rgeu and convert it to carbs

rxtoy im surprised you didnt jump on the latest ra28 on trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=52890074

the seller said it had LT on the back and an 18rg under the bonnet

Draiz.... to my knowledge the only turbo R series was a 22R-TE..... low pressure, (6psi) they made less power than the 18R-G's of old.

18R-GE would be my pick of the litter though! Relatively simple swap, bulletproof motors (check out the size of the valves on these things if you get a chance!) and people have had good results with modding them. There's a fair bit of info on them on the net so search, read and enjoy!

18rg would be a relatively easy conversion in your case tho they pretty heavy and usually need a freshen up if it hasnt already... they 23+ years old now

probly easier finding an injected 18rgeu and convert it to carbs

rxtoy im surprised you didnt jump on the latest ra28 on trademe

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=52890074

the seller said it had LT on the back and an 18rg under the bonnet

damn it, i would have been keen as but i'm in singapore this week, brunei last week, bangkok the week before. haven't been in NZ since feb, that looks like quite a good buy too. with any luck i'll be buying the blue one that was on trademe a few months back when i get home in July anyway. fingers crossed he holds it for me..............................................

cheers

Matt