**^220hp out of a hillman???**^

Guest hillmanhunterman

Let me get this straight. A guy at MagWarehouse said you can get 220hp out of a 1725cc Hillman lump? Go back to him and ask him how exactly and get him to detail it.

A Rootes 1725 could produce anywhere from 61-79hp year dependant and a Holbay H120 produced 93bhp. These numbers will generally be measured with no ancillaries so compared to what's actually in the car itself, tend to be a bit higher. I'd be very curious to know how you'd almost triple the power output of a 1725cc pushrod engine.

Sounds more like a "my fish was thiiiiiiiis big" stories. :lol:

As I've already posted in the general discussion, 220 hp wont happen, without forced induction, and with forced induction you will end up spending a bucketload of cash trying to seal the engine.

If you want to get the most from your Hunter engine go talk to Malcolm Clarke at Bygone Autos, he has built a number of the 2 litre engines.

I'd imagine you will be able to buy a fairly nice car, for what it will cost you to get 150-160hp out of one of these engines.

As the last posting , probably one of the best of the "English common" engines is the Ford 2000 OHC engine, and in Aussie Fast Fours and Rotaries did the mythbusters thing on the engine(on a engine dyno, not a rolling road).

They tried in one article to break 200bhp with twin side draughts, and 300bhp with a carbie turbo setup in another.

Surprise...surprise, it didnt happen, in the N/A they got to 196bhp before the HP wouldnt increase any more (3 or 4 different cams!), the head had "monster" valves, that had to have the seats modified to physically fit, and in the end, they reckoned that it was the physical design of the head and the inlet tracts that prevented any more gains.

The moral of all of this is that I doubt that the Hunter head will flow any more than a Ford OHC head, and the Hunter engine definitely wont rev like the Ford engine, so the chances of 220BHP on a N/A 1725 Rootes engine happening....not in my lifetime!

1725cc, this guy at magwarehouse sed they can give 220hp

hahaha

made me laugh

but yeah, give it a go bro. perhaps with a custom steel crank, individual twin-carbs for each cylinder n shit...valves that stick out the head etc. haha

c'mon

NO companies make aftermarket springs for hunters, so you will have to compress them.

Measure them and take the details to a place that has heaps of King Springs. youll get something.

Compressed springs are softer? how does that work? They would be more bouncy id think as the coils are closer togther not softer.

As the last posting , probably one of the best of the "English common" engines is the Ford 2000 OHC engine, and in Aussie Fast Fours and Rotaries did the mythbusters thing on the engine(on a engine dyno, not a rolling road).

Got a copy or scan. id love to read it :D

my last custom springs were $220 a pair from snells. compressed springs are gay cause there softer than standard

Heating up springs to compress them is more likely to make them harder :?

Its called work hardening, learning about it at uni :wink:

Compressing springs will not change the rate, neither will hardening and re-tempering (which would have to be done by someone who knows how - just heating them up will just soften the metal and they will break). Cutting springs will increase the rate a wee bit, but is a bit dodge for getting warrants. Best bet is to find similar length and diameter springs with a thicker material diameter off something else....

All it will mean is that the spring will have less travel and will bottom out easier. Spring stiffness is all about the elastic modulus which is basically the same for all steels no matter what you do to it. The only way to make a spring stiffer is to make it out of bigger diameter wire, or reduce the number of coils.

Reducing the number of coils doesn't sound right but it is exactly the same as reducing the length of a leaf spring - this will make it stiffer.

Spring stiffness is all about the elastic modulus which is basically the same for all steels no matter what you do to it. The only way to make a spring stiffer is to make it out of bigger diameter wire, or reduce the number of coils.

You mean youngs modulus of elasticity? The amount metal can stretch compress before it leaves its elastic range and fails mechanically. Mint learnt something last year.

So that means that compressing springs doesnt change anything apart from your ride height. BUT it does change ride. Makes it bouncier usually. I think that when they compress springs they heat the spring to red hot and perhaps harden the steel a little bit which has the effect of making it more like hardened steel than it was before. Bit stiffer etc. maybe 10-15% harder.

how do you work out a spring rate then??? cause last time i talked to someone that knew how to work it out..(total length of sprige verses number of coils and thinkness of wire) they said when you you make the spring shorter but with the same amount of coils then it became softer (pretty sure it was the guy at snells)