generally speaking FWD = Front wheel Drive

4WD = Four wheel drive

athough how cool would a fwd vr4 be :lol:

most "4wd" cars like vr4s are still regarded, enginewise, as being "FWD"

more technically correct would have been "east west config"

real 4wd = north south, locking centre diffs, ute styles

i realise that, i was just stating for other's benefits

did some googling because i'm a fuckin nice guy

"A VR4 engine wont bolt into a starion with the starion gearbox as the VR4 engine has a narrow block suited for front wheel drive cars"

so it can be assumed that starion engines are wideblock

next

"EVO engines don't have RWD mounting points because they were mounted from the gearbox, VR4 engines however DO have the mounting points.

L200 4G63 gearboxes can be used, and you can put starion internals inside them for better ratio's (not sure if you can use your stock crossmember though).

i've heard of sigma gearboxes being used that bolt straight up to the VR4 motor's.

starion gearboxes will need an adaptor (early sohc 4G63's had a thinner bolt pattern for the gearbox)

another rumour (very vague, only heard it from one person) is that the late model GSR III starions with the 12V heads had a gearbox that might bolt up??????"

so you can again assume that starions are wideblock, vr4 and evo are narrow block, and 4g63 N/A sohc engines such as your current one are narrow block.

easy

then that end bit, although hearsay, throw a spanner in it... dash 12v engines = narrow block??

hmm

• 2 weeks later...

alright,

MOST l200 are the narrow block (110mm) but SOME are the wideblock (130mm) and are all cable clutch

starions and sigma GSR RWD are wideblock, FWD and 4WD sigmas, vr4s are narrow block

But then again i dont know what the dash motor is, i have a feeling its the narrow.just try bolting it up with the box i left at your place.Thats a narrow one.if it dont fit that then yoy need a wideblock box.Either a starion/sigma RWD one or a l200 wideblock one.The sigma and starion are hydro clutch but the l200 is cable.

Good luck

• 4 years later...

Hi.

I think all the early RWD turbos were wide block.

I swapped a turbo motor from an early sigma into my l200. I just used the wide turbo gearbox and the whole thing bolted to the ute mounts. I just had to change the ute to hydraulic clutch which wasn't to hard.

I think the thing people do to use DOHC with a wide block gear box is to swap the DOHC head,crank etc into the SOHC wide block.