Mikuni's pimp gem

davidian

The 1600 from the gemi is part of the g series family which is used in the bellets, 117s, gemis, piazzas and rodeos (maybe some others) varying from 1.6,1.8,2.0 and 2.6 from memory.

I think the gearbox xmember and driveshaft are different, but as far as the engine isself goes, they will all bolt into a chevette if you use gemini mounts

The 2.6 is a 4ZE1 from the 4Z series of engines, these are belt driven as opposed to chain in the G series and most are EFI (there is also a high-torque version - the later one). There is also the 4ZD1 2.3 and the 4ZC1 2.0 and 4ZC1-t 2.0 turbo. There is a guy on retro-rides.com putting the 2 litre turbo engine into a chevette hatch, I think it's almost done.

I think that bellets got a different, non-xflow version of the G series engine, and many are 1500 (I'm not too sure on this engine code). Some of the better bellets, the GTR and other higher spec models came out the with G180W or G200W, as with the 117 coupes. This is a twin cam version of the G series engine (although its a bummer that the heads are not able to be swapped to the single cam block, and the inlet and exhaust ports are in a different configeration). The early dohc engines came with twin 40 side-draughts then later on became EFI. This is in the 80s 117 Coupes and the ZZ/R and ZZ/Z Geminis (Japan only). The G200W produced 110kw from the factory and these gemini's also came with the piazza style gearbox and an LSD with rear disc brakes (which I have in my car!!! :D)

Also, becuase the chassis is the same on a Gem and a Chevette (all the GM-t platform) I would imagine the engine would bolt up without hassle. you may need to massage out the gearbox tunnel and but a new shifter hole, but I can't see why the Gemini gearbox wouldn't fit with the Gemini x-member. The think the diff setup is also the same between the two cars, so using a gemini driveshaft should be sweet. Don't take my word on any of this tho, I've never really had the chance to check out a Chevette.

OR! You could possibley use a Piazza 5speed gear box, they bolt up to the G series engines and the selector comes up in the correct place. I would imagine that it's not far off where the Chevette one comes up. Thinking about the one on retro-rides, I can't remember him having any trouble with this side of things...

Just'a bit of history there :D

Goodluck with what ever you're doing, and if ya know of any EFI G200 dizzies lying around, let me know!!

Nearly there, the ZZ/R and ZZ/Z geminis only came with g180w's, which are obviously 1.8L but yeh these motors would bolt straight in to a gem.

Gearbox xmembers are different between chev and gem. So is the diff, its much smaller in the chev but i'm not sure if they driveshaft is different where it bolts up.

Nearly there, the ZZ/R and ZZ/Z geminis only came with g180w's, which are obviously 1.8L but yeh these motors would bolt straight in to a gem.

Gearbox xmembers are different between chev and gem. So is the diff, its much smaller in the chev but i'm not sure if they driveshaft is different where it bolts up.

They would bolt straight in with the ZZ/R mounts I'm lead to believe, other wise you have to use the diesel x-member I think, not too sure on this one. And you must use the twin cam gear box as the starter is on the other side, which sucks as they are not too easy to find, but mind you, neither are the engines or parts!!!

I have seen an Isuzu diff (piazza) in 2 chevettes now, so it can't be hard to sort out, I would imagine it bolts up pretty easily.

I'm looking at buying some new shocks for my car, they fit both chevettes and kadettes so I'm hoping they will fit a gem, Spax adjustables, i'll get you the part number if you like, 28 point adjusty!!

Methodz: I have a new front now, well, not so new, just got one of the slat grilles, I think it looks far better than the fridge radiator one :P:P

I have a G200W twin cam in my other vauxhall. Its all bolted up with driveshaft and everything. Its a straight bolt in using standard xmember and you just bolt gemini mounts onto the G200 block. You need to change the exhaust manifold tho as the Piazza dumps right where you bolt up the gemi mount.

You only need the diesel xmember if you want to use an old 117 G200W as they have a different sump as far as I'm aware.

The ZZ g180w will bolt straight in. Very hard to find in NZ tho as very few ZZ (R/Z) were brought here. Piazza g200w's are way easier to pick up.

Piazza diffs bolt straight in to both geminis and chevettes with the exception of the panhard rod. It goes the other way (right-left rather than left-right if you know what i mean) (It doesn't go both ways like bmwsparkle. :P ) Oh and also the piazza diff is 50mm wider so it fuks with your offset a little.

Those shocks sound mean. My new chev has good shocks but let me know how it goes. They will fit aswell. All the mounting points are identical. Just watch that the actual diameter isn't too large. I had some air shocks in the gemi and they wouldn't let mags go on!

I've wanted to do a TC/TD/TX wagon for ages now (gem wagon with zeps front or a variation of atleast). Ahwell, lotsa people really hate vauxhall chevette fronts so I'll stick with one of them for a little while. Its good to have a car that all the evo/wrx/all other gay car owners loath.

Methodz thats 2g with wheels. Car needs to be viewed tho, its a project not a daily. Its not really bad or anything, just not clean. Guna try suss a warrant in a week or 2 aswell so see how that goes to get a better idea on price.