ISNOWI's 1980 Mitsubishi Lancer EX Rally Car

isnowi

Hi all, bout time i posted what i've been fiddling with for the past 4 months or so. Its a 1980 ex lancer gsl 1600 auto, stripped and converted to 4g63 twin cam 5 speed, alas no turbo yet, but i'm going to build a new turbo motor when the N/A motor dies (will be soon, fuel in the oil and such like)

anyhow.

engine22ms.th.jpg

engine14vg.th.jpg

pumps6ak.th.jpg

interior6ay.th.jpg

rearright2ao.th.jpg

frontright8mp.th.jpg

Discussion Thread: //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/19293-isnowis-rancid-ex-gravel-steed/?hl=isnowi

doh doh doh.

motor developed a slight coolant leak today, it appears i had a few too many joins in the top radiator hose, coupled with a bit of movement due to some spirited driving (on private roads of course :D ) i ended up with a half radiator worth of water all over the engine bay.

now i have to pull the motor and redo the top hose, nevermind, gives me a chance to fit my new brake proportioning valve and finish the engine bay painting.

also need a new oil pump, as i mangled the old one in order to remove the balance shaft, leaving the vanes of the pump to float excessively.

Pics to come .

• 1 month later...

Hmmm, where to start, things have been pretty idle for a while now, the purchase of a new driver has distracted me slightly.

Finally pulled the motor out to fix the coolant problem, and replace my cambelt, found the caa belt has slipped by about 3 teeth, and also i have somehow mangled the crank pulley backing plate, which has moved too.

nevermind, i will build a new motor (vr4 spec) and do all the bodywork and cage etc whilst the motor is being built, new pistons and rods come on monday, will update with pictures.

• 6 months later...

Bout time i did something,

Have been slowly chipping away at things.

exlancerbuild024eu0.jpg

engine (new one) is back in the hole, just have to connect all the wiring and plum,bing and give her a kick in the side.

exlancerbuild023jc3.jpg

Made up the new tunnel section to make sure i can't see the road through the floor, added a spanky looking bias valve to ensure good brake balance, now that i have starion front brakes.

exlancerbuild018ju8.jpg

Rugged looking extractors, tuned to all be different lengths :rolleyes: these will get me going at least until i can afford the time and tubing to make some nice long 4-2-1 jobbies

exlancerbuild017qg3.jpg

CAS and top hose neck are now clear of the firewall (just) needto move speedo drive cable so it doesn't rub.

exlancerbuild015tp4.jpg

exlancerbuild014mz4.jpg

This is how i finally did the top hose, after 3 or 4 failed experimants.

exlancerbuild011er8.jpg

exlancerbuild029df3.jpg Skellicar...

lol

• 3 months later...

Update: small amount of progress.

Note HUUUUUUge negative camber from new bottom arms.

Pillars are now welded and in the process of being tidied up ready for some paint. Sump has been modified in order to clear bearing caps of fwd motor, and also to be a little shallower to allow the sump gaurd to bolt directly to the crossmember and still have adequate clearance to the sump.

Have fitted a remote mount oil filter to gain back a little of the oil capacity i have lost by reducing the sump size.

pict0009ek3.jpg

pict0010yq5.jpg

pict0014pe0.jpg

pict0015xe6.jpg

pict0016tq6.jpg

pict0019rx8.jpg

pict0017fx8.jpg

pict0018sw6.jpg

enjoy

couple of shots of the throttles i am playing with, came off a vg30 maxima, the single cam job with the 2 stage inlet manifold.

Also a shot of the L300 oil coller i scored for $8 from pick a part, Its HUGE. Should get enough airflow to keep the oil at a reasonable temp.

pict0025wl5.jpg

pict0024yz0.jpg

pict0023zf3.jpg

pict0026iq8.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Pillars all fixed, looks a little huckery but it'll do the job.

pict0011hr6.th.jpg

pict0010cj2.th.jpg

Gave my altered sump a coat of paint and bolted it up, 2mm clearance to the crossmember, good thing i have nice hard engine mounts.

pict0008yj7.th.jpg

pict0007vt5.th.jpg

This allowed me to bolt my sump guard up, after a few alterations to allow the bottom arms to go to full droop, and cut outs for the caster arm nuts so adjustments can be made without removing the sump guard. Still gotta make a guard for the gearbox, that'll attach to the back of the sump guard, and bolt up to the gearbox crossmember, possibly onto the driveshaft loop too.

Had this little sucker made up to block off the oil filter, in order to connect the remote oil filter. Just need to have an o'ring groove machined in it to ensure a good seal. Will go on tomorrow along with my oil cooler port filter housing (thanks spooner) Then all i'll need is a couple of oil hoses, tricky part is finding fittings to suit a mitsi (m16x1.5)

pict0003db2.th.jpg

pict0002rt2.th.jpg

• 4 months later...

Update. Due to me growing up and being a responsible bastard (bought a house) the EX has been pretty stagnant for a while, no more, i have attacked a couple of things with renewed vigor, here are pics of the quad throttle intake i am making.

pict0080ue6.jpg

pict0081sw9.jpg

Unfortunately i no longer have a garage so i have to store it away from home, will get some pics of all the bits i have finished in the oil department.

Anyway, might be back on the back burner for a little while longer as i am resurecting my old polo as a daily, so i have a little work to do on it. Yay i'll have an OS daily again.

Cheers Dan

• 2 months later...

Diagram of plumbing at back of head, there is a small air bleed in the topo of the thermo housing to eliminate air in the system. Off the housing goes a right angle rad hose that connects to the front pipe that runs under the inlet manifold and connects up to a remote thermostat housing for all my sensors, from here another right angle rad hose goes straight into the radiator top pipe. I run a rwd water pump modded to fit with the twincam tensioner, with blocked off heater port, i have no heater piping at all, and no thermostat in the system. Hope this helps anyopne looking for ideas...

waterneckfy4.jpg

Shot at 2007-08-22