mk5corty's 1982 Ford Cortina mk5

mk5corty

1982 mk5 non ghia 2 litre NZ cortina. Almost completely stock when i got it, original springs and shockers so they were pretty crap. However there was a genuine 89,000KM on the clock as when have service receipts since it was new.

upgrades

full new set of standard height king springs

full set of KYB shocks

have got a steering wheel but no boss kit

retrimming door cards in leatherette vinyl

gear knob and black leather gaitor

pedal covers- not too ricey ones

checqer plate floor mats

to come

respray just after xmas going to buy some ppg dulon acrylic laqcer and spray in a similar to original colour.

affix the steering wheel.

install my 6x9 and new kenwood headdeck

have got good rear bumper and very good front one on the way

good headlights and tailights but still waiting on contact from trademe member

no performance mods yet just changed the HT leads, spark plugs, air and oli filters, brake pads and caliper piston seals.

will post pics asap

• 5 weeks later...

Started the respray and the colour i chose was not even the slightest bit close to what i got i chose a pale metallic green and ended up with a metallic lime green. Not to worry tho i like lime green. heres a pic of teh door masked and sprayed.

http://img35.imageshack.us/my.php?image=car10bu.jpg

will post up pics of bonnet when i find my camera again.

• 2 months later...

decided to clearcoat heres some pics of my doors, im pretty happy with them although a mosquito flew into the clear when i left. It managed to squirm its way through all the layers so now its remains are fossilised in my clear forever although i sanded most of it out.

dsc000126yd.th.jpg

dsc000137jz.th.jpg

dsc000140ha.th.jpg

• 4 months later...

been awhile since last update, have been sound deadning inside with the liquid crap, makes the floor look alot better too cos all the rubber grommets on the car appear to have gone walkabouts and it was leaking chronic, this meant teh whole floor was surface rust and a few holes etc, watch the road go by from passenger seat chur.

Also adjusted tappets were noisy as fuck, much better now, also got some orange as fuck new extractors 4-1 hopefully get a 2.25 inch full system made up once i get some money again. Bought another compressor so i can link my two together for bigger spray jobs.

heres the extractors

img00242wn5.th.jpg

also i had 3lt of black lacquer left over from another job and my bonnet was munted so i sprayed it black, not because i like it but because its practice and i will be re-respraying the whole car, door jambs engine bay and boot aswll this time in solid lime green at xmas.

heres some bonnet pics obviously they look a bit better here than real life but meh

img00239ss8.th.jpg

img00240rj1.th.jpg

School holidays time to get some shit doen, cash is low guts gonna have to beg steal etc.

Boot looks like shit was used to transport coal and firewood by some old dude for like 10 years, plus its covered in fucking fish oil shit. Luckily i have a patented scum removing toolkit.

camera fucked, its a toothbrush and turps in a jar.

heres the durty ass boot as im starting to clean it will be spraying black maybe tomorrow.

boot1cp5.th.jpg

and another shot, these are after the soap water clean.

boot2dq1.th.jpg

Heres my temporary doorcards with sounds etc in them, have got some sheet mdf stuff to make better ones, use lots of fibreglass etc later.

doorcardnq5.th.jpg

More shit done, finally got the boot realively clean after about 6 hours of wax and grease remover sanding bogging etc

heres the first coat down, run out of thinners so no more for now, had to put it down dry tho cos else was fishineying, i dont mind tho not gonna see it plus ill wax and grease remover it before i spray the wet coats.

spilled some paint out of the gun when tilted too far.

newbootyn7.th.jpg

and heres another view, all in all im pleased looks way better than before plus i have cut a new boot mat out of leatherette vinyl, should be looking sharp, gotta do something for a bootlight cos my warehouse neon is teh suxorz.

newbootphotodub0.th.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

anyways im in the prep for its new re spray, this time ill do it right and not compound metallics, DUH!. will post pics asap, finally fixed the big ass hole in the side, found some unhardened bog a useless auckland panelbeater layed down, removed that and found the metal underneath covered in surface rust.

Big random crack running along front left quarter panel= rust undeneath bog and lots of bog. so far replaced 1lt of bog on the car lol.

Spent best part of a day removing cheap black autothane that polished up nice but turns to shit over a couple of weeks, DONT BUY AUTOTHANE in lacquer anyways, its shit, real shit, bird crap stains it, and even after a few months i could still leave a fingernail indent in it.

will post up pics asap, got 20L of thinners right here, bound to be illegal/fire danger.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn work-keeping me from finishing my car anyways theres a big pile o primerd stuff in the garage and heres the car how i drove it to my brothers to get it welded, was aws - turn so many heads etc more than any skyline.

img00235nw6.th.jpg

img00237yf3.th.jpg

rawking/aws. Will prob take about 5 more days of work till complete but then will be sweet-no more rusty peeling doorjambs for me.

• 2 weeks later...

5 days aye /\, fuck that was wrong, will be more like 12.

One compressor stz cos i lost my connecting peice, was a mish. One coat downa nd the tiny fan doesnt help got a bit of striping but was fixed by the 3rd coat.

Fucken bright, wont lose this shit in a carpark.

Also my bit of carboard fell out and i managed to paint some of the radiotor fins, bah there mostly collapsing anyways, just another thing to add to the list.

img00239xg2.th.jpg

• 2 months later...

Well shes been awhile, mostly cos i was at welly and the tina was in aucks in my garage.

got some pics finally

img00005yd2.th.jpg

Nice ass, primo boot spoiler, orig ford, aws, plus got some brand spankers new taillights to go in.

img00007bi9.th.jpg

Pretty happy with the gloss, thats just after first compound, broke the pad so thats it for now.

img00008og6.th.jpg

Badass art stz one with $40 digicam, chur.

img00011lh0.th.jpg

• 9 months later...

Got a warrant and rego and once again raging round the streets, fucken yay.

carnewng1.th.jpg

havent put the boot spoiler on yet, scored some ghia seats, put the rear ones in, am in the process of putting the front ones in now. They a way more comfy than the old ones, mean.

Slight metal high pitch grinding sound, sounds like diff, plus the diff oil had a lot of tiny metal particles in it when i drained it. Ah well.