Muzzies 1962 Simca Etoile

Muzzie

Discussion //oldschool.co.nz/index.php?/topic/19211-muzzies-62-simca/?hl=simca

Yesterday, luck was on my side :)

Meet Sinea (pronounced Sha-Nay but with a sorta J sound at the start lol), a 1962 Simca Etole. Sporting a Toyota 4K and matching gearbox, some minor rust and a horribly done paintjob she's my new project. Along with a brother and sister for parts. She's also on hold, and has the original silver and black plates from when they were first issued, starting with an 'A'.

She's a bit bent, up until a year or so ago she was a daily driver, then some hooligans stole her (and smashed up the igntion and steering column too) and used one of her seat belts that was burned off by a lighter to tow another car. They not only managed to get the towed car to run into the backside of Sinea but also pranged the back of someone elses which of course rooted the front too. Obviously they can't drive.

On the upside, it doesn't need certed, as the engine swap was done before certification was introduced and it's all entirely reversible anyways, and the suspension (bar the front shocks) and all the brakes have been overhauled. She stops on a dime :D

But now she's all mine, where I will attemtp to restore her to something similar to her former glory.

Interesting find I reckon..........

But anyways, here's some pics :)

Back left corner, I have a replacement bumper for it as well :) And at the time of picture I had already done some straightening of the back guard so it's not as bad as it was. Note the rust along the top of the rear guard.

backleftcorner3nm.jpg

Front right corner, slightly pranged, but looks to be just cosmetic and the bumper aint too badly mangled either :)

frontrightcorner5io.jpg

Interior, in need of some work. Carpets rooted, steering column rooted, seats rooted. But fixable none the less. Hopefully the other two cars (that Ihaven't seen yet) have some good parts :)

interior9zj.jpg

Motor, 'HEEEEEEEEEY' I hear you say, I know that engine. Well, if you own a Starlet or Corolla then you bloody well should :) It's a 4K, matched to standard toyota gearbox. As you can see it is running and very well I might add. Has also had the driveshafts removed and balanced.

motor3hu.jpg

Thats it for now. What ya think?? Can't not call me oldschool now :D

• 3 weeks later...

Another update. I've seen the other two spare cars that came with it. Dear god. One was rusted so badly, I sat in the back seat and the floor collapsed under me onto the ground. The other is salvageable, but I won't bother with it - gonna be too much work. It does however have a mint original engine and gearbox in it - and the engine runs too!! And it's really quiet, sounds like brand new.

Heres some pics, not much but now I'm without a licence I can start attacking the car head on and get some work done :)

Cleaned up the engine block a bit today, just with a brush and some kerosene, hasn't done much but has helped a bit. If you compare to the previous engine pic up above, you'll notice things like the alternator housing and rocker cover being cleaner. Note the lack of radiator.

engineclean6tt.jpg

Pulled off the rear bumper to evaluate the damage in behind it, not too bad. Also replaced the busted tail light and got the lights in that cluster working properly :) Note the crappy almost non existant numberplate lamp on the back panel.

newtaillight7zu.jpg

Some pics of the parts car - here's the engine that should be identical to what was in my good Simca originally til it was converted. This ones been sitting for 10 years, and amazingly it still runs sweet as a nut. It's incredible!

originalengine5td.jpg

The parts car, looking a bit worse for wear :)

partssimca9sh.jpg

partssimcaback7sr.jpg

That's all for now, tomorrow my goal is too clean all the grease and crap off of the front subframe, mount the radiator and tidy up the wiring in the engine bay. Updates to come :)

• 3 weeks later...

Another Update.

Just tidied it up and working on the body, filling in little paint defect and stuff getting it ready for some paint (decided I may as well do a full body spray). And I scored me two electric sanders from DSE (a mouse and a finishing one) for $10.00 each, brand new with cases and sandpaper and one year warranty. Bigups to my olds for having a trade account :lol:

Some more pics.......

Bottom panel in the rear valance that I have to replace. Getting the steel today hopefully :)

backbottompanelrust8td.jpg

Front left corner, which since this photo was taken has gained alot more primer spots :lol:

frontleftcorner6mo.jpg

The positively nasty rust around the rear door latch which I'll probably get a panelbeater to take care of as it's a WOF issue.

fullynastydoorlatchrust5vr.jpg

My now much cleaner interior. Not the best but it'll do for now :) See my totally cool 'ignition switch' hanging from the dash is the form of 3 wires :lol:

tidyinterior9vs.jpg

That's all thats worth showing at the moment, more pics will no doubt be on the way in the next week or so. Just gotta get me some more primer now.

• 2 weeks later...

Updates

Haven't got much done cause of theuseless weather, but anyways....

Started on fixing up the back corner where the theives smacked it up. Helluva lot straighter than it was, and I've ground out all the old rusty metal in preparation for new panels.

back5zo.jpg

Inside the goddamn massive door. I could fit subs in there and still get the windows down!! Got new door cards being made up for all doors and the A pillars as I'm writing this too. Yipeeeeeeee. Also got new locks for the doors.

doorinner6ml.jpg

Whipped off the front bumper, had it sent away for a quote to rechrome, got told $1300 so that'll be a long term project lol. Started filling in all the little dimples and pulling out the front corner and straightening up the grille a bit. But it's pretty munched which annoys me off so might have to raid the one off my other car at some stage.

leftfront0jw.jpg

Another view (slightly better) of the front, back wheel is off cause I was trying to work out what the PCD is - and I haven't found out much except thats way bigger than 114.3 :( Stupid old car - might have to custom wheels made up eventually.

rightfront0xg.jpg

And I got some new tools. I get more for Xmas, but for the time being I got a couple sanders. Brand new from DSE, with sandpaper and plastic cases, $10.00 each!! :shock::shock: Yay for Trade & Vip Accounts :twisted:

sanders6eh.jpg

And heres the colour it's gonna eventually end up as - care of the previous owner! Official colour is HOK Blue Eye Match or something :)

blue6wj.jpg

And yeah, also got all new locks for the doors and boot and ignition, and as mentioned before there's all new door cards coming for it too :D

Also going to wire it up for push button start as well, Supercar styles 8) But still make it a total prat to start without a couple of keys :)

But that's all for now - more updates to come soon

• 10 months later...

Well since it's been sitting for a while under cover through winter and rain I whipped the cover off and decided to give her a run.

Long story short, the fuel systems gone to hell over the last couple of months, and the fuel pump won't prime so it'll probably sit for a couple more months til next year while the prefect gets worked on and made road legal.