lofreq's '87 mark II boso/garuchan/shakotan/etc etc project

lofreq

still alive! car is still working and running reasonably well. have purchased new oil catch can to handle the blow by (currently being taken care of by a coke bottle) thinking about a rear whale tail spoiler as well

drove to the snow on the weekend for some reason, was cold and wet, but nice drive surprisingly - passed heaps of fools on boost with much grins, bit of a misfire up top on wide open thriottle, i think just old plugs/rotor/cap, might change later.

anyway just some photos cus bored with the old ones and i liked the contrast

dscf0320bp6.jpg

dscf0322cb8.jpg

dscf0323xo0.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

lol.

i suck for doing these 'update post without pics' cus i know they are BS to read so i'll stick a pic in here - i bought this to help with misfire up top

68484016fullfl0.jpg

but then realised these engines run some BS 3 wire coil instead of a 2 wire coil.... so when it comes to wirng up the trigger signal to the MSD im like...... ummmm.......

i think the coil has 2 negative outputs and one positive.... i think one bank does 3 cyl, the other does the other 3, because stock dizzys on these things have twin rotor arms stacked one on top of the other instead of one arm swinging past 6 points....

so my thoughts are, get the 2 trigger wires and diode them and then connect them together to form one trigger signal to feed the msd. then tach output from the msd to feed tacho (tacho currently is tied to one of the wires from the coil and is only reading half RPM so furthers my belief about the twin bank alternate fire thing)

also i wana dress the car up a bit engine bay and stuff so it looks a bit better. my chinatech BS oil catch can filled up with oil and then started blowing overflow oil out over the engine bay, sprayed the exhaust and turbo mani and started burning - bah. my coke bottle overflow was way better.

anyway will update more pics soon - plan is to sort camber and paint engine bay/etc before xmas, so results ready for jan oldschool meet. yessss!

oh also did a sounds install but you guys dont care about that shit i know so i wont bother detailing

• 4 months later...

so i havent had access to my FTP for ages and got all this shit unable to upload

but figuredout a workaround finally using web based ftp client. so ill make an update for the hell of it since i still own this thing and its drivable like a real car now

so yeah i went to rhythm & vines for new yrs in gizzy and it was great. drove there and back no probs other than top end misfire from aforementioned coil(?) dropping spark but still off the clock easy.

also found that, between opotiki and gisborne thru that stupid 58km gorge, that no one sells gas

so when you head in there expecting to top up and theres nothng and its dec 28th and its 8pm and everytings shut and your fuel light comes on and you pass a sign saying GISBORNE 38KM you really start to shit your upholstery

but then ALSO FOUND THAT markII fuel light/gas tank capacity is magic and will allow you to sit on 4000rpm/140kmh for 40km thru a gorge without running out of gas and then lets u roll into the caltex at gisborne idling happily. fucking legendary

pics on a beautiful new 2009 day

i look unimpressed but i am ok

090101%20-%20rhythm%20&%20vines%20118.JPG

sara looks unimpressed but she was ok

090101%20-%20rhythm%20&%20vines%20130.JPG

x71's have perfect profile proportions i still reckon. a real car shaped car.

090101%20-%20rhythm%20&%20vines%20135.JPG

best angle as always rear 3/4 from down low

090101%20-%20rhythm%20&%20vines%20136.JPG

oh also managed to break one of my exhaust rubber hangers causing the exxhaust to swing around and hit the left axle bolts when turning left making an awesome grinding noise... fixed by stopping in some random gasser and tying up the exhaust with some number8 wire found on the roadside after a quick hunt/stroll - awesome :)

and some photos that i liked from the oldschool jap meet held in Jan. cheers to all i met/chatted too/goodcunts who didnt hate on the car

at this point i had taken it in fora WOF and it failed because the stupid F-series LSD i tried to rangifit into my T series subframe had finally had enough and 2 rear bolts had sheared off so the only thing holding the diff in was 2 front bolts (instead of 8), and the diff head bar thing. (cus none of thetop bolt holes lined up so i didnt have any in there)

so yeah it failed but my wof expired the DAY AFTER the oldschool meet so this was its last outing for a while

next to cheaters' cuntpwningly awesome ute

090117%20-%20oldschool%20meet%2032.JPG

look at all thegoodcunts

oldschool%20meet%20japmeet0946.jpg

black looks good here, its faded quite a bit on roof/bonnet as u'd expect...

090117%20-%20oldschool%20meet%2023.JPG

sweet angle again

oldschool%20meet%20IMG_2606.jpg

i love my shifter i dont give a damn haters cus it lights up 283 different colours

and its a SUPERAUTOBACS original. damn straight.

ps: that huge mapbook fanning out my door pocket is so old, the pic on the front showing auckland city doesnt even have the sky tower on it. come and ask about it nexct time and ill show u.

pps: the pimp lil touchscreen mp3 player u see there was the thing delivering the best of Roy Orbison, on the day :)

oldschool%20meet%20%20UNI_0855.jpg

cheers to those who took the photos above, please allow permission to reproduce in respect of your image-capturing :)

I HAVE SOLD MY DAILY. the brown/gold mx73 is now gone, to a mate, who has proceeded to RAISE it back up because it was TOO LOW and SCRAPING on things. UM. shame.

this was her, at correct height. RIP baby - fuckin awesome daily.

new%20rims%20Nokia007.jpg

in fact the front was still too high as you can see but at this point, front chassis rails were aleady at 80cm, and front springs had like 2" free space to fall out at full droop - bah at giant long throw shocks. anyway.

it was also my bday in feb somewhere in there and instead of car shit i bought this for myself instead:

vci100_01_b.jpg

vestax vci-100 j midi controller. mint as fully user-configurable/mappable turntable-like controller to playback and mix all your mp3's. bloody awesome fun. just learning but can tell you that HOUSE MUSIC is fuckin easy to mix. and real hiphop, is bloody hard. props to real djs out there.

and so finally, after hunting around for ages, managed to grab the f series IRS subframe from that gold MX73 cressida thats been sitting in Avondale pickapart - cheers to whoever of you it was (probably someonehere) who made the job easier by already raping the diff, one lower swingarm, cutting brake lines, driveshaft etc etc - made it heaps easy to remove.

back at Garage Slipway HQ with the lads, swapped in new f series subframe, after painting it bright orange. diff now has 8 bolts holding it instead of 2! result - MUCH tighter rear end, amazingly drivable now. lays good thick twin snakes on the tarmac now, even the LSD is hooking up mint thanks to mr dori mike - PASSED WOF!!! now fully legal once again till sept or something! fuckin daily driving back on!

cheers to the team at the slipway garage for all the help! so adventure continues - next up, fit MSD ignition, take her down to the nightspeeds see if i can crack into 13s maybe???

the slipway team:

IMG_2699.jpg

this weekend is busy - slipway team will be at Joe Manji day at meremere... Driftopia is on... and D1NZ round2 at waikaraka. what to do!!! lets see what happens :mrgreen:

• 2 weeks later...

decided to paint engine bay yesterday. stripped all junk out, degreased and scrubbed till fingers sore, masked, painted, reassembled. hi-temp low-gloss black, and ultra hi temp flat red. was gonna do the bay in aluminium dark silver, but it would have been too tricky. black it goes!

DSCF8309.JPG

used to look like this - pretty nothing-much-to-look-at:

071220%20-%20on%20the%20road%20again%2008.JPG

just black everything out, ireckon

DSCF8314.JPG

DSCF8319.JPG

DSCF8321.JPG

DSCF8324.JPG

after i took it for a drive to the shore and back the running temps baked the paint on and toned down the colours, which looks better. its different - i like it

next up

- gotta figure out that msd

- longer front wheelstuds for more spacer action

- contemplate purchasing front camber plates

- contemplate baffling oil sump (still using baffle-less 1g-eu sump, motor will probably chew bearing at the first big sideways)

but otherwise its wof'd till sept so im driving it whereever i can! still brings a smile to my face :)

• 2 months later...

JOE MANJI DAY

had a sweet time at manji day. car is stable and steering reasonably neutral - no overheat probs, no misfire probs (reduced to 16psi for the day), no run bearings as feared. great!

flipside is:

- rocker cover oil breather spits out oil like no tomorrow (about 1liter in 2mins of blasting around) - cant be blowby, must be because i flipped left and right covers over (oil cap was in wrong place otherwise) but this probably put the breather right above a main oil squirter for the head or something... so oil comes right out.

- LSD isnt tight enough and starts off singlespinning before both wheels start going = hard to control/predict the rear end

- front tyres no grip - fighting understeer

- 1G-GTE HAS NO TORQUE for this shit. only good up top, drop off boost and youre history. bahh

but sweet for first time out, definitely see the appeal im hooked! great atmosphere, great day. got some sweet track time, watching everyone else go, and some cool demos by mr teeboon and also mr dunckers new 18A rotary ae86. blasphemy never sounded sweeter

cheers to my mate aaron for taking some pics. will get higher res photos later incl video but heres some for now

4849_1042742483521_1674383110_82282_8178867_n.jpg

4849_1042742523522_1674383110_82283_5670773_n.jpg

4849_1042742643525_1674383110_82286_7829304_n.jpg

4849_1042742683526_1674383110_82287_7848051_n.jpg

4849_1042742723527_1674383110_82288_2454085_n.jpg

1jz - the way of the future - simply effortless in comparison

4849_1042742763528_1674383110_82289_3290672_n.jpg

dont stack your (starshark?) rims cus u will get angry

4849_1042742883531_1674383110_82292_3416151_n.jpg

dont use old tyres they delaminate and rip to pieces and tear up all the vinyl up the side of your car

4849_1042742603524_1674383110_82285_8367095_n.jpg

new tyres dont fare much better

4849_1042742803529_1674383110_82290_663876_n.jpg

4849_1042742843530_1674383110_82291_233410_n.jpg

...sweet stay tuned for vids and shit :P

• 3 months later...

so if you pick up nov 09 issue 155 of nzpc,

performance-car-155-cover.jpg

and turn to page 80, you might see

28092009044.jpg

shame about the atroscity on the front cover, but it was a fun interview with Gray from nzpc, reminiscing about the old days, pics of car came out not bad, and i gave all you fellas props :D

so yeah wot! go check it out - 4 pages, quite proud etc.

they asked heaps about the old days and how the scene used to be, so i wrote heaps in response to what it was like for me

they cut alot out of the magazine for it to fit but ended up putting the whole interview up online today, even got front page limelite! hehehe. thats my 15mins thanks very much

full writeup here:

http://www.performancecar.co.nz/news/59 ... iew-online

cheers! :)

nzpclofafrontpage.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

full set of the above pictures here: http://www.defy.net.nz/lofreq/pics/Car% ... index.html

anyway, with that, ive been testing the waters for a sale for a while, as plans are to head to europe for a yr or so to live

and work and explore... and this would exceed my baggage limit (although how baddass would it be to cruise thru cobblestoned

paris roundabouts in this thing amongst all the fiats and austins!) - ive got my visa etc all sorted and looks like im outta here

after new yrs. so thats that.

so had a few rounds on trademe and whatnot, and finally got an offer for it that i could not turn down. as of yesterday it

has changed hands and the machine is now down in New Plymouth, for goodness knows what else will happen to it (motor

swap? new wheels/paint? wrapped round a tree? dumped to rust in paddock?)

thanks for all who followed the build, props and criticism alike. its been fun - on to the next project! ok wave bye bye...

090801%20-%20NZPC%20photoshoot%2016.JPG

• 1 year later...

just out of interests sake - at last check the new owner ATTEMPTED a new wof in April 2010 which failed, at 288,000kms!!! i sold her at 225ks, the fools put on like 10,000kms every month! i was told that it was seen in new plymouth after it was stacked into a bank, front / left is wrecked, and its been on rego exemption ever since.

if anyone has seen progress on this car in new plymouth since, please let me know! id love to have it back!

• 8 months later...

its that time where a project is reduced to a bunch of "parts" scavenged off and transplanted elsewhere in the world... much like i was finding panels and bodywork of my old civic on other ppls rides..

oldfrontlip.jpg

this guy has my front lip.

187608630full.jpg

187665890full.jpg

dudes from Waihi, says he got the lip off another guy with a KE70, dunoo where that guy was from or how he got it as well...

EDIT: Confirmed, other dude with KE70 was from New Plymouth.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing ... =408300138

wonder where everything else got parted off to. probably a bush in New Plymouth.

thanks "Vincent" :/

Plate Number: FBZ363

Vehicle make: TOYOTA

Vehicle model: CRESSIDA

Vehicle year: 1987

Vehicle colour: BLACK

New Owner: VINCENT ROBINSON

Residential Address:

77 Govett Avenue

Frankleigh Park

New Plymouth

Land Transport NZ reference number: 86034GB

Receipt number: 1293345

Transaction date/time: 9 Oct 2009 7:47 p.m.

anyone around this fool's area, keep your eyes peeled in the bushes if u driveby

ps: you may have noticed that almost all the photos linked in this build thread have gone down... thats because the host of my files has decided to not renew his domain... everything is still there and will come back alive again when he does renew, but until then here is a flickr set of pieces of history of my build. man i miss this car

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lofreq/set ... 747777261/

gx71flickr.jpg