Burntrubbers 84 TG gemini

Got this car back in 97 from a local wreaker, I swaped mk MK2 sport which I had fliped th day before.

Started to do things to it in 2000 I cooked the engine after splitting a heater hose on a gravel road never noticed till I stoped the next week it started making more and more noises till I pulled down. The timing chain had streached and was rubbing on the timing cover. It wore about 8mm of the cover away :oops: .

Bottom end of engine was undamaged but I put new rings ect anyway. The head was well not repairable so I was told so I got a another along with new valves, guides, lighter aliminium lifters, double springs, and ofcourse a better cam grind.

After all this I decided to panel and paint it . My mate is a panelbeater and a beer drinker so he did all the hard work and I made sure he had beer :D

Its been sitting in my shed ever since then but its soon to be on the road again and turbo charged 8)

The Turbo

The turbo is a very small TD-025 off a 98 VR4 in good shape only done 60-80k. I got this for free off my mate so that was a bonus. Been so small I decided to make look a bit better heres a before and after pic.

compressorbefore4fw.jpg

newcompressor1jx.jpg

The Carb

Its a 32/36 off a MK3 cortina I have 5 off these carbs this one has the least shaft play ect. Done a few little things to it for turbo like dry air seals on the shafts, removing chock and sealing up holes, drilling out the power valve and changing where it gets its referance from.

carb1dg.jpg

Carb Hat

I made this up after a lot of thinking about the shape ect I think it looks cool will probably run an intercooler later on so it may have to change a bit

carbhat9ci.jpg

Turbo Headers

Made them from 32mm steam pipe and weld bends took about 8hrs :? lots of ideas went through my mind but high mount was always on the cards. The turbine dump pipe was very tricky seen as I seperated the turbine and wastegate outlets this gem will have a wastgate screamer :P

gemturboheaders35si.jpg

gemturbo310un.jpg

The red Beast

Bought this car as a parts car but was not to shabby so I fixed it up all it needs 2 tyres for a warrant when I get some time. I have had the turbo setup running on this car was very amusing old soft suspension and its an auto :oops: thing squats so hard it crackup.

redbeast8vf.jpg

Electronic Ignition

I got a RB gemini dizzy ripped the guts out and swaped them over there was a bit of fileing, grinding and drilling but not to hard a job.

elecdizzy8ul.jpg

Dont have any good pics of my TG but heres one

car1uy.jpg

Thats it for now

Recent work

Radiator

Fits mint works mint and was free!

radiator4qd.jpg

enginebay6np.jpg

The radiator is out of a 90's Pulsar I got it from a panelbeating shop free it has some dents but it does not leak so sweet.

Intake behind grill

intake8gt.jpg

airfilter2cy.jpg

I made the intake out of a 3" nudge bar that was damaged and thrown in the bin. Also free :twisted:

On the cards

I have scored a LSD disk braked small type salsbury diff from a early 80's commy. The bakes will fit on my Gemini diff no worries but the center is a bit more of a drama. The center is a 28 spline Gemini are only 23. May shorten and respline the commy axels if I do that will probably do a full 5 stud conversion. That will mean deep dish commy mags :twisted:

My other option is to see if I can interchange the side gears ect this will cost me nothing so its the first thing I'll be trying.

The TG should be road leagal cert and all early next year I want it completly leagal for insurance ect. I cant lower it to much my driveway has a mean ramp angle at the top which is unfortunate seen as Geminis look mean sacked, 17 or 18" rims are a must. One of the styles I've always liked Zep has Roh ZS one of my favorite rims. Don't know what I'll end up with most 4x100 rims fit so theres a lot to pick from.

:D

Update 3/4/06

Been doing a few things of late EFI is one of them. Zep sold me a piazza manifold and I've been making my own plenum useing a EB falcon throttle body. Will be making my own fuel rail and mounts so I can use later model injectors.

Got some piazza front disks and calipers for $50 which I thought was good.

myplenum0ic.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I had to put do a manuel conversion on my Te Gemini work hack because the auto craped itself. I put the whole engine and box from a Piazza in. Its a G200z injected 2L engine and it goes like snot now after all the small problems I had to sort. Wiring the ECU in without a wiring diagram was awsome but I sorted it out then there was fuel problems which a simple bottle of injector cleaner has apeared to fix. Has a foam type pod filter behind the head light and the induction sound is crazy especialy in an old donk like this. Dose'nt pull of the mark as well as the turboed 1.6 but is far better over 80kph and the top speed well it cant be measured on a 180kph spedo :shock: The engine bay is a mess but eh its just my work hack so I don't care to much.

teg200zih5.jpg

teg200zov0.jpg

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's a pic of what it looks like finished. Got a few bits left to sort like few horrie wire's and I'm making up a new relay box holder/washer bottle because the stock ones are ugly. Also want to get some nicer radiator hoses and blue vacuum lines. Not happy with the ride hight now the 4zc1 is heavier and I have bout 20mm travel in the front now. Its crap bottoms out on every second bump and scrapes like fuck on my driveway.

Its not run in yet only running 4psi and a base tune it still goes well though has its 4psi at 2500rpm and good throttle response between the gears so I'm happy for now.

finishedir1.jpg

• 5 months later...

Done a few things in the last six months car has run out of wof and reg so its off the road for a bit while I sort my wheels and hopefully finish the lsd commodore diff conversion.

Piazza disk braked diff.

diffjn7.jpg

disks1dx6.jpg

disks2zd7.jpg

Lots of new bush's should get some pics of them fitted because they are actually in there.

owwwbg7.jpg

Made me a lip out of a primera bumper looks choice also another engine bay pic shitty cell pics though.

0706081235yt7.jpg

1302081737tm6.jpg

Got this one wheel widened to see if I like it I do so I'm gonna look for some more 3 actually so if any one knows of any there off a n14 pulsar. Gave it a quick paint to get an Idea I like it but not sure yet need to photo shop them maybe.

dsc00533xk5.jpg

dsc00532kk0.jpg

• 1 month later...

Done a few small things lately got GTR Skyline Injectors and setting up wasted spark going to hide the coils behind the dash and make a nice ali or stainless cap for the dizzy. Cut the bumper out was a bit worried about how it would look but I'm happy. Also while I'm wiring up the wasted spark setup i'm going to completly re-wire the engine bay aswell as all the hoses fuel n vacume etc just want it to look neater. Looking at finally finnishing the borgwarner LSD conversion to am fully sick of one wheeling.

dsc00563ax3.jpg

nintqg1.jpg

• 2 months later...

Bit of an update done a few bits running wasted spark now and put some GTR Skyline injectors in want to run abit more boost soon.

Can see the Mitsi coil packs I,ve used in this pic

dsc00683kv1.jpg

Made up a stainless cap for the dizzy seen as it runs no leads now its a dizzy out of a 4ze1 Isuzu Mu/Bighorn they use a twin optical pickup rather than the stock Piazza's poo magnetic reluctor.

dsc00681de9.jpg

dsc00684jy3.jpg

Finished widening my wheels look just how I wanted them to might make some 9"s I rekon I can get them under there :D

dsc00696av4.jpg

dsc00697jw3.jpg

dsc00698ux8.jpg

• 1 month later...

Mean all certed got the plate put on today go for the wof tomorrow. In other news my ecu is playing up again its actually been nothing but issues since I got it modded. I think something has burnt out it fuel cuts or just turns off not sure which one under high throttle at about 3000rpm.. I gave up on it yesterday and when I started it today it ran mean with almost no issues for about 10min then started again I'm guessing somethings getting to hot Meh least its certed guy was choice helped me heaps recomend him.

15122008074co8.jpg

• 4 months later...

Not much changed on the Gemini front just got this pic that I really like. Thinking about 2 toning the paint with gloss black on to with the same silver in the bottom. Also might make some new wider wheels 14x9-10" I'm pretty sure I'll get a 10" under there nah probably not :lol: .

favefb.jpg

• 4 years later...