Stretched tyre look

lowlancer

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

finally ive had this in my head for ages,wanting to do this for my next project but not to the extreme that the v.i.p. guys go to.Im going to try it on my 616 project not so much because i like the look, but more so to get the rear wheel more up into the guard to stack it out with out lookin like some aussie style rx.I mean every bit of travel you can get on a lowered car must be a bonus without the highrider look.proberly will shorten the diff by maybe 1 inch on either side put some 16x8's on the back and im away.

Stretched on tires are good, the lower the profile, the more the stretch too by the way.

I have a 215/40/17 on a 7.5" rim and it's got a bit of stretch

Wide tires on skinny rims is shit because you get heaps of movement in the sidewall, and the tires don't sit flat against the road, with stretched on tires you get minimal sidewall movement which is best for performance, not to mention it looks really tough.

Stretched on tires are good, the lower the profile, the more the stretch too by the way.

Wide tires on skinny rims is shit because you get heaps of movement in the sidewall, and the tires don't sit flat against the road, with stretched on tires you get minimal sidewall movement which is best for performance, not to mention it looks really tough.

I dont think so. Maybe anti stretch... a 7.5 inch rim is 190.5mm. So u have wider tyres than rim with 215's.

Most of these pictures with stretched tyres so far all have the wrong offset wheel so it looks real stupid. Even with the right wheel i still think it looks a bit gay. (personal opinion tho)

Surely it also does something to the handling. worse or better?

fat tyres are such a kiwi thing, but handle like crap.. try some sideways action on em and they sloppy as. stretched is so oldskool jdm and i love it but not to the extreme as some them japs do :lol:

also tyres with sidewall protection like the old dunlop fm901's give em that extra stretched look without actually stretching as much. 185's on a 7" rim is good enough for me. im running 195's on 15x7 and still looks a lil stretched

ke70eve-012.jpg

fat tyres are such a kiwi thing, but handle like crap.. try some sideways action on em and they sloppy as. stretched is so oldskool jdm and i love it but not to the extreme as some them japs do :lol:

also tyres with sidewall protection like the old dunlop fm901's give em that extra stretched look without actually stretching as much. 185's on a 7" rim is good enough for me. im running 195's on 15x7 and still looks a lil stretched

that;s it right there, not too much stretch, more like a proper fit, for handling etc... hell, I hate overwidth tyres so hard, looks farmbike as, keep baloon tyres on quads.

185mm = 7.2in

A tyres bead (the surface that mounts to the rim) is often a smaller width than that of it's tread surface, so a 185mm tyre will often have a bead of around 165-175mm, so you would have to stretch a 185 slightly in order to fit it on a 7" rim, but not by too much.

I appreciate the technical point kyteler, that said - the sidewalls on usually curve outwards, so visually it doesn't 'look' like there is anything in the way of stretch happening.

I dont think so. Maybe anti stretch... a 7.5 inch rim is 190.5mm. So u have wider tyres than rim with 215's.

Most of these pictures with stretched tyres so far all have the wrong offset wheel so it looks real stupid. Even with the right wheel i still think it looks a bit gay. (personal opinion tho)

Surely it also does something to the handling. worse or better?

Even so I just took a picture, and it appears to have a little stretch

Nice%20action%20001.jpg

It only happens with a 40 profile however, I also have some other 17x7.5" rims with a 45 profile, and there is no stretch.

Can't be stretched having a 215 on 7.5" rim.

I've got 215/35/18 on 7.5" alloy which isn't stretched, just the rim protection of low profile that makes it look that way.

Yeah I'm still toying with the idea of stretching some tyres on some 13" mags for the 1200... I prefer the Jap style over the gay mid 80's-90's Kiwi style of fat Eagers on boring Modgies!

But all to their own I guess :wink: