Zep's gem'

They look like they are meant to be there now, which is a good thing. Just a little high? It would need more than 10mm lowering to get away with them I think, probably only a little more though, 15-20mm. It would also tuck in a lot nicer once you have some decent width wheels and tyres with a little bit of stretch.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember, it's a solid axle so any upwards movement has the potential to contact with the flares. I'm also trying to go for that kinda jacked staunch look with poke like that rx7, where's the pic....

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v230/ ... ennsm3.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j148/ ... me_011.jpg

Brock-Lee, should be about 10mm gap between tyre and flare.

Looking choice man. I guess that means you're going to bite the bullet and cut away the bodywork from underneath the flare? There was a niggling in the back of my mind when I did that to mine, which was quickly overcome by the realisation that it's well fucked anyway and missing arch steel is hardly a drama when the car would never be concourse.

What the fuck tyres do you run on 15s that are 9+ inches wide? Most that are around 255 seem to be 4WD tyres or the profile is 70 or something yuck like that. I want 245/50/15s, which appear to not exist.

Mike: Yeah, cutting the arches has always been on the cards, this aint no back country starlet.

Just get in contact with a good tyre guy and let him do the searching. You will find something suitable. You've pretty much found one of the main reason a lot of people stretch tyres though. I'm putting 215/40's on my 9.5's just because they are easy and cheap. :) /just the way I like them etc

The problem then of course is matching the diameter front and rear, what profile are your 195's? If they're fairly low-pro it's entirely unlikely that you'll be able to find a matching diameter in a much wider tread width for the rear.

I would be getting 15's for the C110 because they come in much more badass widths, alloy wise (up to 12"), but tyre selection is fucking shite. Which is why I'm going for the 16's which sadly only go as wide as 9.5"

195/50R15 vs. 225/50R15

Section Width: 7.67 in 195 mm

Section Width: 8.85 in 225 mm

Overall Diameter: 22.67 in 575.81 mm

Overall Diameter: 23.85 in 605.79 mm

Sidewall Height: 3.83 in 97.282 mm

Sidewall Height: 4.42 in 112.26 mm

Radius: 11.33 in 287.78 mm

Radius: 11.92 in 302.76 mm

Circumference: 71.21 in 1808.7 mm

Circumference: 74.92 in 1902.9 mm

I guess the added stretch might combat that to some degree but then there's the fact that you'll likely not get cert. for those tyres with that amount of stretch.

195/50R15 vs. 225/50R15

Section Width: 7.67 in 195 mm

Section Width: 8.85 in 225 mm

Overall Diameter: 22.67 in 575.81 mm

Overall Diameter: 23.85 in 605.79 mm

Sidewall Height: 3.83 in 97.282 mm

Sidewall Height: 4.42 in 112.26 mm

Radius: 11.33 in 287.78 mm

Radius: 11.92 in 302.76 mm

Circumference: 71.21 in 1808.7 mm

Circumference: 74.92 in 1902.9 mm

I guess the added stretch might combat that to some degree but then there's the fact that you'll likely not get cert. for those tyres with that amount of stretch.

link for calculator please..

Just google tyre diameter calculator, or tyre stretch calculator or similar. I was looking at these yesterday and there are some very good ones around that show a diagram of stretch and will tell you how much to compensate the speedo/overall rolling diameter etc. They're easy to find.

With a Gemini I'd definitely consider going with equal width wheels. The wheels on my Chevette are 8 inch +5 offset and the rear is much harder to fit on than the front, so adding width and offset will only make things harder. Granted you are running bolt on flared guards but with those SSR's adding an inch will bring them to 15x8 +0.5ish so pretty much zero offset, which should fill them alright? Maybe you could try taking the rear springs out and jacking the diff with the guard on to see where the SSR will sit, then just add 25mm on? Similar to the last couple of pics in my Commodore build thread, but before shots.