Zep's gem'

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the 2 links posted i like the BAMF flares the best, but.. as much as they look good on that Z car im not sure they will look right on a gem. As you were saying and IMO they need to go further down the gaurds. Ideally you need to try a set befor you buy, but thats near impossible so have you considered making a set. Surely you could make something out of stiff carboard then trace onto some alloy ? If you gave the basic design to the steel surgeon he could work his magic on them by welding a lip around the edges etc.

As for the rims. Im always thinking about what im going to put on my gem coupe.

IMO dont get the konigs. Yep they look ok and you can buy a set, bolt them up and be done. But i kinda think the steelie option will look better. A set of rims like what karmagedon bought for his MX5 would look staunch as.

I have also been taking inspiration from this car for a while too... just found this thread with DIY flares...

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=787383

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.php?t=784050

To me that looks like alot of work. Will be hard to get each pair of flares to match as each one is made individually. Not saying it cant be done but it wont be easy.

If you went with alloy flares you can make each pair exactly the same. Just flip the template and trace. Could take a mould off them aswell (:

Do you want wheels for looks or performance? The steels might look cool, but more un-sprung weight is always a bad thing.

There are a few cool wheels to choose from at the moment. DTM Banzai's, AE tek and the Konig's you posted a pic of would all work and look good IMO.

Have you tried sizing up a set of normal ZG flares on the Gem yet?

Do you want wheels for looks or performance? The steels might look cool, but more un-sprung weight is always a bad thing.

There are a few cool wheels to choose from at the moment. DTM Banzai's, AE tek and the Konig's you posted a pic of would all work and look good IMO.

Have you tried sizing up a set of normal ZG flares on the Gem yet?

Errr... looks AND performance? Hahah. If I chose the Konig's, they are probably the same weight (give or take a few grams) as my current Konig's. I know there are mean wheels out there, might keep looking in that regard.

I have not sized up the ZG flares as I can't find any in NZ!

To me that looks like alot of work. Will be hard to get each pair of flares to match as each one is made individually. Not saying it cant be done but it wont be easy.

If you went with alloy flares you can make each pair exactly the same. Just flip the template and trace. Could take a mould off them aswell (:

When I get home I'll try making some cardboard templates and see how it looks.

• 2 months later...

I'm with Andrew on this one,

make them out of alloy,

get a male and female die made, roll some alloy through it and cut to required profile

for the body,

cut your guards and allen screw them on tucked behind your guards.

Find the profile you want and i can get the dies cnc'd up,

then you just need to find an old geared sheetmetal roller and do it.

for wheel choice steels for street and feckin round are gold but something light for track (superlights or compomotives)

would it actually be that expensive to get someone to make them up for you? Have you priced it up?

I haven't had them priced up, no. Not even sure where I would start on something like that.

I never got around to making anything out of cardboard, so perhaps I should go back and start there and see how alloy looks again!

Oh an Jase, I want the bolt on look, no bolting behind guards here.

ok then you'd have to tig alloy for that look unless you had them pressed out in

alloy which is huge set up cost,

I priced having custom glass ones made $1000 mates rates,

but got the cdt ones from F.A.R in gizzy when i could make it happen for $400 using existing molds.

Using dies and a roller with panel steel would be a bit harder than alloy but would be easier to weld all your dropouts

for lugs in etc.

But then again you're adding weight unless you're taking it out of somewhere else.

You know what you want so i guess money is no object.

To Ky ^ why would you euros have sweet kadett guards and wouldn't touch em and ozzies have cdt stuff

and about 3 people might actually have a gem and the coin to warrant it $600-$700 each for four flares